Just got my tube rectified SWL 9.0SE

Ispec2

Just got my tube rectified SWL 9.0SE
« on: 25 Feb 2007, 02:20 pm »
I just got my 9.0SE back with the tube rectification upgrade and it is everything that Dan claims it to. I've only listened for a few hours at this time but what was immediately noticable was a wider soundstage,a warmer yet more detailed sound. As Dan says in his description better overall "musicality".Well worth the cost IMHO.

system:Audiosector Patek SE, SWL 9.0SE, Rotel 1072CD,Sony 9000ES,Zu Druids MK4,2 Mini Methods, Zu cabling 

smargo

Re: Just got my tube rectified SWL 9.0SE
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2007, 02:58 pm »
let us know after 1 month of listening - then i will be more convinced

thanks
smargo

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2007, 04:07 pm »
I will start out by saying I am a dealer so I will not post my personal opinion as it would obviously be perceived as being bias but will say I agree with all claimed expectations as well as posted experiences. On the other hand, I have had a few customers in lately that have taken the time to do a comparison with both.

I have both the standard SWL 9.0SE and the SWLP with tube rectified power supply. Both units have a least 150 hours on them. We listened to both units for quite some time switching back and forth periodically.

In all (3) situations, the customers all had the same comments which were on par with what others are saying here. In the end, they preferred the tube rectified unit for it's wider soundstage, more seductive nature and overall, more emotion.

System:

*ModWright SWL 9.0SE and SWLP 9.0SE with tube rectified PS (stock rectifier tube)
 *Bella EXtreme 100 amplifiers sitting on Musica Bella 2" Curly Maple platforms
 *Adagio Jr. Loudspeakers on heavy mass steel stands (sand filled)
 *Custom Level 2 tube CD player
 *Acoustic Solid Small turntable w/ Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood cart
 *Jolida JD9 phono stage for vinyl listening with regular SWL 9.0SE
 *Star Sound Sistrum rack with turntable top plate
 *Empirical Design speaker and interconnect cables
 *VH Audio AIRSINE power cords to amplifiers
 *Jam'n Audio Pro 14S power cord on sources
 *VH Audio Flavor 4 power cords on ModWright

mtodde

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2007, 04:55 pm »
let us know after 1 month of listening - then i will be more convinced

thanks
smargo

I was one of the SWLP beta testers and have been enjoying mine since November.  Everything being said is true.

gthomas

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2007, 05:49 pm »
My unit will be here on Tuesday.  I am anxious to hear it.

Gene Thomas

alan m. kafton

« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2007, 07:02 pm »
Bill......I very much like your commentary. We couldn't do this type of thing on AA. It's very refreshing, and honest....that's why I keep coming back to this forum now on a daily basis.

I've done business with Dan Wright for several years....his professionalism, Q.C., and thoughtfulness doesn't get much better in our industry.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2007, 07:54 pm »
From these posted reports, looks like Dan is right on target when he said....

"Sonically, the improvements include fuller body and midrange, improved bass response and a significant improvement in soundstage, presence and overall musicality.  I feel that the tube rectifier upgrade adds more 'tube' sound to the 9.0SE without detracting in any way from the unit's fantastic bass response, dynamics and sparkling highs.  The low noise floor is also maintained, if not improved upon.  There has already been quite a bit of commentary about the sonic benefits of the tube regulated power supply in our modified players in threads on this forum."

Thanks for the comments so far, sounds good. I guess my Modwright needs to make one more trip for the upgrade.... :D

modwright

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2007, 10:32 pm »
Thanks guys.  I do always try to be conservative in my rating/evaluation of our own gear due to obvious bias and I also don't want to set undue expectations.  It is gratifying to hear that others are hearing what I hear.  It truly is a very worthwhile upgrade.

Take care,

Dan W.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2007, 10:53 pm »
Bill......I very much like your commentary. We couldn't do this type of thing on AA. It's very refreshing, and honest....that's why I keep coming back to this forum now on a daily basis.

Thanks Alan. The Circle has more of a family atmosphere to it and [most] members here, that have been around a while, know and understand the tone of those who post.

Having a forum allows me to post my personal opinions but when posting on another manufacturer's forum, I like to simply pass along feedback from others on any particular product.

I will say that I too find the ModWright tube rectification to be everything that others have stated and has met all my expectations and more. Being a tube guy all the way.......well you get the idea.

gthomas

« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2007, 11:58 pm »
I just got my unit also and set it up last night.  My first dealings with tube components.  So far great sound compared to my Pro-Pro.  My Salk speakers sound very open and full.  I am anxious to get the unit broken in and see the added improvement.

Gene thomas

koiman

« Reply #10 on: 7 Mar 2007, 09:06 pm »
Gene,
How is the upgrade on the power supply on the Modwright SWL.9.0 SE sound?. Since it has been a few day's I was just curious, I am also curious what you are using for your Power Amps.
Thanks,
Lee

gthomas

« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2007, 10:46 pm »
Lee, I can't tell you how the upgrade comapares because I haven't heard the unit without it.  This is my first dealings with tube components.  I am using a gemstone amp.  200wpc x 7.

gene

HumanMedia

« Reply #12 on: 11 Mar 2007, 11:18 pm »
Gene,
How is the upgrade on the power supply on the Modwright SWL.9.0 SE sound?. Since it has been a few day's I was just curious, I am also curious what you are using for your Power Amps.
Thanks,
Lee

Hey KoiBoy, Im not Gene but I do have CI D200 like yourself, and I just got my Tube rectified upgrade (on my year old SWL SE) up and running last night.  Im using an NOS Mullard rectifier tube.

The tube and power supply caps can probably use a few days burn in, but here are my early impressions.

The SWL has always seemed a little cool in the midrange to me. I notice it when I use the HTBP from my solid state receiver and back again.  Ive tried lots of different 5687 tubes and whilst ones like the Sylvania GB's compensate for this, the Sylvanias lack good bass extension and refined highs.  Other tubes are trade offs in different area. Anyway for all of the other wonderful aspects of the SWL this was a tiny price to pay with the multitude of positive aspects (especially with early TungSols and Raytheons).

With the tube rectified supply the first thing I noticed was a warmer midrange and smoothness across the frequency range.  There is no sacrifice of liquidity and detail in fact there seems to be a little more.  The result is very good and IMO perfects the SWL. It gives it more heft like a fully solid state amp but with enhanced tube spatiality and liquidity.   I have noticed a little less deep bass, but that might be the fuller midrange leveling everything out. 

Anyway thats my first night impressions.  I will report back after my baby settles.

(PS Thanks Dan for the weekend tech support)

« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2007, 01:56 am by HumanMedia »

koiman

« Reply #13 on: 12 Mar 2007, 12:44 am »
HumanMedia,
Please keep us informed on the progress on the Modified SWL 9.0.. I am thinking about getting mine Modified but with my setup and the Salk HT3 speakers I can't imagine it sounding any better.
Lee :D

koiman

« Reply #14 on: 12 Mar 2007, 01:03 am »
tvad4,
Are you still happy with your Moscode setup..

HumanMedia

« Reply #15 on: 12 Mar 2007, 11:02 am »
How phsyically hot are peoples upgraded SWLs?
I cant remember how hot the top of it was before the tube rect upgrade, but it seems a lot hotter now.
It seems to need a lot more ventilation to keep cool.

What are other peoples experiences?

Ispec2

« Reply #16 on: 12 Mar 2007, 12:48 pm »
Mine is certainly warmer where the new tube is but not enough that I would question it.

modwright

« Reply #17 on: 21 Mar 2007, 05:15 pm »
The rectifier tube does add some additional heat, but the chassis ventilation is adequate that it is not an issue.

Thanks,

Dan