Sony 999ES "Self-Hotrodding Feature"

gibheid

« on: 13 Sep 2005, 08:07 am »
Hello Everyone,

I'm a proud new owner of a fully decked-out Modwright 999ES :D.  It's still in the very early stages of burn-in just now, so it's still sounding a little raw.  To keep me occupied, I was reading Robert Levi's article, particularly the part about tweaking the setup.

To quote Mr. Levi:

There are some worthwhile tweaks. DO NOT play this unit without first using a video monitor to get the best playback options. Turn off everything inside the unit, including the display. A self-hotrodding feature that cuts down on unneeded circuits is a specific selection in the menu. Turn off the video after setup, and the digital out, too. All will make a difference in dynamics and purity.

My problems is that my setup is purely 2-channel and my hi-fi is nowhere near the only television in the house. I've either got to completely disassemble my system and transport it piece-by-piece to the other side of the building, or lug a very heavy TV up a flight of stairs.:o

"So where's the problem?" I can hear you ask "just pick the damned thing up and be done with it!"  The problem is that I'm unsure of a particular setting to choose; one that can only be accessed via a TV monitor.  Mr Levi says "turn off everything inside the unit". He also makes mention of the "self-hotrodding feature that cuts down on unneeded circuits".  My confusion starts here.  Robert Levi seems to be referring to what the manual calls "CD Direct".  I'm making the basic assumption that a "self-hotrodding" feature is a good thing.  But to eliminate unwanted circuits, CD Direct has to be ON, not OFF (and Robert Levi insists that we should "turn off everything inside the unit").  I'm not being churlish or pedantic here; I'm just not sure what to do. To further cloud the waters, the Sony manual is seemingly contradictory when talking about about CD Direct:

OFF: Select this when playing CD disks, including CDs with DTS tracks.
ON: Eliminates the use of unnecessary circuits when playing CDs.
NOTE: If you select "ON" when playing CDs with DTS tracks, the sound will become noisy.

Again, I'm assuming that using less active circuits is best, but according to the manual CD Direct should simultaneaously be OFF when playing CDs... but ON to eliminate unnecessary circuitry when playing CDs?! If that's the case, what is CD Direct for? Is it an option just to make the player sound worse?

I'm obviously missing something; please help.  Do I switch the "self-hotrodding feature" ON to eliminate circuits as (I think) Mr. Levi recommends? Or do I switch it OFF as the manual suggests, and avoid messy sound on some disks?  Also, can anyone tell me what DTS is, and whether is it something I should worry about?

I'd be grateful for any help you could offer.

Florian

« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2005, 10:54 am »
As far as i know DTS is for Digital Theater Systems and is a surround sound format such as Dolby Digital, THX Surround EX et... Usually comes in DTS. DTS-NEO, DTS-ES, DTS-EX, DTS 24/96 etc.. and has nothing to do with normal CD's.

:mrgreen:

PS: Just switch the unit back to its default settings and select the opposite :-)

sm4r2d2

« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2005, 04:25 pm »
Mine is a stock unit so I'm not sure if this applies.

Use the remote conrol's menu and go to video off and click. A red light

should come on next to the units main display. It says video off below

the light. This takes the video circuit out the equation. This makes a very

substanial improvement in sound quality on both CD's and SACD's.

You will need to turn it back on to watch DVD's. I forgot this a couple

of times and wondered what was wrong with my system. Hope this helps.

---Richard David---

sm4r2d2

« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2005, 04:25 pm »

gibheid

Maybe "Video Off" & "CD Direct" add
« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2005, 05:43 pm »
Thanks guys,

Maybe I'm just misinterpreting Robert Levi.  I assumed that “self-hotrodding” was a good thing.  Maybe he meant it disparagingly and that it should be avoided.  In any case, everything else is OFF in the setup: video, digital out, memory, surround sound etc.  I always had “Video Off” selected on the handset, it’s just that I imagined there would be some additional benefits with “CD Direct”… although if I think about it, I’m not sure what other circuitry would be left when video is taken out of the picture (no pun intended) :roll:

Thanks for all your help!

Brian

PS Is anyone else having problems logging onto AudioCircle today?

mr_bill

« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2005, 06:30 pm »
What I'd really like to know is......how does it sound!!

gibheid

« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2005, 07:57 pm »
Quote from: mr_bill
What I'd really like to know is......how does it sound!!

It's too early to say mr_bill.  The 999ES is still a bit too brittle in the trebles to be comfortable--I've only had it for 3-days now.  There is impressive width in the soundstage, but not much front-to-back depth.  The bass is very deep, but surprisingly cold at the same time.  I imagine this will get better as I approach the 200-hours recommended break-in period: I know the capacitors Dan uses need a long time get going.

My TV is miles away from my 2-channel-only hi-fi. To test the CD Direct thing, I have to dismantle everything, reassemble it in my downstairs TV room, make my changes, then disconnect everything in the TV room and transport & rebuild the system back in the hi-fi room.  Then I have to decide if what I am hearing is better than what I remember hearing an hour earlier, before I disconnected everything!  Moving the TV is much more practical, but it nearly broke my back last time, so I'm reluctant to do that again.  My wife's too little to help much!

I think you can see why I want the CD Direct option to be DEFINATIVE! :wink:

goose

The monitor is the only way to turn off the other settings
« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2005, 02:26 am »
Hello,

Having just bought the Sony 999ES and wanting the Modwright mod the only way to turn off the rest of the viedo settings is to hook up to a monitor.  You were correct in your assumptions.  

Any improvements in the sound?  This is supposed to be the "giant killer for the buck.

gibheid

Any improvement in the sound?
« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2005, 06:39 pm »
Quote from: goose
Any improvements in the sound?

Why yes! The sound is much more heh-heh-heh HEHHHHHHHHH! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! OHHHHHHHHHHH! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! heh-heh-heh....

Sorry, that's been happening a lot lately.

Stop what you're doing right now and send your 999ES to Dan.  Right now!  Go on!  You'll thank me later! GO ON!

Have you sent it yet!?

Here's an endoresment from my wife.  She says is a massive heh-heh-heh HEHHHHHHHHH! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! OHHHHHHHHHHH! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HO! HEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! HE! heh-heh-heh....

Some folks are content to drop their jaws; my wife and I just like to be happy...

Are you still here?! Hurry!!

Please consider this to be a formal review.

rbrb

« Reply #9 on: 30 Sep 2005, 05:43 pm »
There are some music CD's released by DTS that contain no video, they are purely music content but mixed in surround sound.  Do not confuse them with DTS movie DVD's.  They are not something you should be worried about, there are very few available and if you are concerned about sound quailty they don't sound nearly as good as a well recorded CD anyway.

smargo

« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2005, 03:02 am »
it’s just that I imagined there would be some additional benefits with “CD Direct”

Gibheid did you figure out about the cd direct - i would like to know and how does the player sound now after a month or so?

Regards,
Smargo