Spatial Owners - Post your Pics

Grahamps

Re: Spatial Owners - Post your Pics
« Reply #100 on: 8 Dec 2020, 08:15 pm »
Yes! Given how I've seen Cherry darken over the years, I'm expecting my pair to age gracefully and beautifully. That finish is only 2-3 weeks old, and that speaker was unboxed 12/7/20.

Grahamps

« Reply #101 on: 8 Dec 2020, 08:17 pm »
I just flipped the photo for Grahamps
Thank you very much.

zkeller

« Reply #102 on: 9 Dec 2020, 09:42 am »
Yes! Given how I've seen Cherry darken over the years, I'm expecting my pair to age gracefully and beautifully. That finish is only 2-3 weeks old, and that speaker was unboxed 12/7/20.

Thanks, I like the look of the cherry too.

How are you enjoying your M3s? Did you have box speakers previously? I would have to buy without hearing them and so am nervous and trying to learn as much as possible from owners!

Thanks so much for your help

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #103 on: 9 Dec 2020, 01:50 pm »

How are you enjoying your M3s? Did you have box speakers previously? I would have to buy without hearing them and so am nervous and trying to learn as much as possible from owners!

Hi zkeller
Wanted to chime in here as I switched from Vandersteen 2ces to the M3 Sapphires. Initially I felt like it was a mistake switching from a really good and deep sounding box speaker and still love their sound but I wanted to see what the fuss was about. A very different listening experience and very much room and system dependent. I did quite a bit of acoustic treatment for the Spatials and they are very very revealing but and it’s a big but you will not get the big booming bass of a box speaker. It’s kind of like your kids. You love them, but you love them different.  :D Great Forum here and people are always willing to help. Even met some people to come listen and go check out their systems.

Grahamps

« Reply #104 on: 9 Dec 2020, 03:05 pm »

Z,

I only got the stereo pair hooked up last night. Immediately, I'm encouraged. My definition of revealing is about a low noise floor, clear gradation and delineation of recording character and quality, and a sound performance that is interesting to listen to, etc. Not "revealing" as I often understand its use, which I normally read as "brutal when/because something isn't right."

Anyhow, yes, I've owned and worked with many box speakers. My aim with this purchase was high value and high fidelity. Also, I'm a tweaker, but nod a modifier. I like a full-breadth, balanced sound and will aim for that first, and reaching for "absolute sound" occurs when successfully removing  artifice around that balanced presentation.

Out of the box, there's nothing wrong with the M3 Sapphires, lots right, and their promise is evident. I didn't hear them before I took the plunge. It's the most I've ever spent on one piece of gear, and I'm glad I did. When I worked for Linn, Inc. here in the US, source is considered most important and speakers are the last/least piece of the playback chain. I didn't buy these to make better what I was hearing, but do expect their characteristics will serve as a clear window into the tale of my upstream choices.

About their bass performance, I'm not there yet; I'm only getting started, and my speaker bases are within 6" of the rear wall. I'll make 'em sound good given my circumstances, but they're not in an ideal setting. I anticipate they'll be akin to the experience I had when I owned a used pair of Magnepan Tympani 1D's, and a friend was listening to live Grateful Dead played via DAT and a McIntosh MC 2120 amp that I also used to own. He commented about the bass, and I pointed out, and asked him to notice, that the bass sounded like Phil Lesh, no more and no less... that was the quality (at least one) by which I judged my system.

Anyhoo. I'm happy and encouraged.

Emil

« Reply #105 on: 9 Dec 2020, 03:13 pm »
Z,

Out of the box, there's nothing wrong with the M3 Sapphires, lots right, and their promise is evident. I didn't hear them before I took the plunge. It's the most I've ever spent on one piece of gear, and I'm glad I did.
[/b]

Good for you!
Sometimes you just have to treat yourself :thumb:

zkeller

« Reply #106 on: 9 Dec 2020, 06:32 pm »
Hi zkeller
Wanted to chime in here as I switched from Vandersteen 2ces to the M3 Sapphires. Initially I felt like it was a mistake switching from a really good and deep sounding box speaker and still love their sound but I wanted to see what the fuss was about. A very different listening experience and very much room and system dependent. I did quite a bit of acoustic treatment for the Spatials and they are very very revealing but and it’s a big but you will not get the big booming bass of a box speaker. It’s kind of like your kids. You love them, but you love them different.  :D Great Forum here and people are always willing to help. Even met some people to come listen and go check out their systems.

Could I ask how far you have the baffles from the front wall?

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #107 on: 9 Dec 2020, 07:34 pm »
zkeller,
I have mine approximately 4 feet from the front wall toe-in. If you look at my gallery I think you’ll get a sense of the room with acoustic treatments. Also to clarify from an earlier post. By revealing I mean hearing everything that the music offers in a very good way. These are just very articulate speakers smooth and so enjoyable, I’m listening more than ever.  I am blessed to have them and the hearing  :icon_lol: to appreciate them. They do have amazing bass as well but in a different way than a box would deliver. Ultimately IMO you will not be disappointed with proper setup, room and associated gear.

Grahamps

« Reply #108 on: 10 Dec 2020, 01:00 am »
look at my gallery I think you’ll get a sense of the room with acoustic treatments.

Your treated room looks great!

Rushca01

« Reply #109 on: 10 Dec 2020, 01:09 am »

Love the cherry finish!  This will match my audio rack nicely as it’s made out of cherry.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #110 on: 10 Dec 2020, 01:55 am »
Your treated room looks great!
Thanks Grahamps,
I just turned 60 and feel like a kid again. I got my first stereo when I was 15, a Sansui AU-717 amp and Technics SB-7000a’s and was hooked for a lifetime of listening. Now I’m thinking which amp would pair nicely with the M3’s without blowing my retirement :nono: Currently using the little known SPL Director/Performer combo which is very nice but wonder how much more these speakers will improve with tubes.
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2020, 12:47 pm by Audiosaurusrex »

zkeller

« Reply #111 on: 10 Dec 2020, 05:48 am »
Love the cherry finish!  This will match my audio rack nicely as it’s made out of cherry.

Agree! Mine too

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #112 on: 22 Dec 2020, 04:45 pm »
Where have you been?

Not sure who posted that old pic...but it wasn't me. :dunno:

Been focused on other things, but might be considering getting into one of Clayton's new models.

George

DRHamp

M5s Received Yesterday - Awesome
« Reply #113 on: 22 Dec 2020, 08:26 pm »
Well, my M5s arrived yesterday - an outstanding Christmas Present.  They were packed very well and we had no problems un-boxing and setting them up.  I have just placed them based on the instructions and will be playing with placement over the next several days.  These are the Cherry veneer with the color touched to fairly closely match my cabinet -- I'm very pleased with the result.

Grahamps

« Reply #114 on: 10 Jan 2021, 08:55 pm »
I'm excited to share how things are going with my new Cherry M3 Sapphires, but this quick iPhone video of my system is all I can muster today. It's something, and I do hear some of the character of my stereo in the video, but it's not the best portrayal. I'll pull out my Zoom H5 one day when I post more.

https://youtu.be/Kx96PnUPEyk

Peace, Graham

Grahamps

Re: M5s Received Yesterday - Awesome
« Reply #115 on: 10 Jan 2021, 08:57 pm »

Your Cherry M5 Sapphires look fantastic! Congrats!

TomS

« Reply #116 on: 18 Jan 2021, 11:54 pm »
Added 2 RPG BAD Arc diffusers which can be placed in front of the TV, and it is a very nice improvement.

Wig

« Reply #117 on: 20 Jan 2021, 06:10 pm »
Added 2 RPG BAD Arc diffusers which can be placed in front of the TV, and it is a very nice improvement.

Beautiful  :thumb:

Wig

jdavis37

« Reply #118 on: 29 Jan 2021, 10:34 pm »
Curious if it is just on my end, but did all the images disappear for everyone else, or just me? :) I was hoping to see some of the X series 3 woodlike finishes. Thinking of ordering a pair of X5s. It's Claytons fault.. and Ron's. With exception of tube amps and preamps I seem to buy everything Ron mentions!

aniwolfe

« Reply #119 on: 30 Jan 2021, 12:11 am »
Curious if it is just on my end, but did all the images disappear for everyone else, or just me? :) I was hoping to see some of the X series 3 woodlike finishes. Thinking of ordering a pair of X5s. It's Claytons fault.. and Ron's. With exception of tube amps and preamps I seem to buy everything Ron mentions!

All photos gone on my end also