GR Research - X-LS Encore - Build Log

devinkato

GR Research - X-LS Encore - Build Log
« on: 3 Apr 2014, 10:18 pm »
Glad to be building one of the best values in DIY - IMHO - the X-LS Encore.  Bought the kit almost 6 months ago and am finally getting around to building them.  Laziness I suppose.  I've built the non-encore and encore X-LS kits and a few other GR Research designs, and have been happy each time.  Looking forward to building this for my recently retired dad.  He has a huge living room system (all Fostex stuff), but I hope he uses this one a bit more often in his office/computer area.

Here's a link to the kit for further info:
http://gr-research.com/x-lsencorekit.aspx

Used my router jig to cut the tweeter recess @ 5mm.  Notice the sacrificial pieces of scrap that I use to make sure the baffle doesn't rotate while I'm cutting.

Next up is the woofer hole.  Nice thing about GR woofers is that they have a nice frame that doesn't need to be flush mounted. Saves a router operation and a whole lotta dust.  I put a screw in the castoff center piece of the hole so the router pivot point doesn't move when the castoff frees itself.  That keeps the circle perfect instead of "nibbling" out a bit when the cut is completed.

We move next to my router table and a 45 degree chamfer bit.  I use this to cut out reliefs for the woofer to improve airflow and help eliminate reflections.  I start by defining where the mounting screw points will be and then free hand recesses between the screw points.

Plenty of breathing room for the woofer looking from the back.

Plenty of meat for the screws to bite into.

To be continued.

devinkato

Re: GR Research - X-LS Encore - Build Log
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2014, 12:49 am »
Tweeter cutout made with a holesaw and my trusty 20v Dewalt.

Looks like it fits! I like to have the tweeter sit a tiny bit proud without the gasket compressed. Primer + paint will add a tad, and compressing the gasket when screwing the tweeter in will subtract a tad. It all works out in the end :)

Ready to go for glue.  This part always makes me feel like a kid on xmas morning with a new box of legos.

I cut the top and bottoms a bit oversized then hit them with a flush cut bit. Saves me a bit of sanding.
« Last Edit: 7 Apr 2014, 03:28 pm by devinkato »

devinkato

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2014, 05:12 am »
All assembled.

All trimmed up!

I use Rage Xtreme body filler. The name is so manly. I find it sands a bit easier than normal Bondo. I apply to the seams liberally.

Bit of sanding later, and we're looking good. I like having as flat as possible before beginning using the router. Having a perfectly flat edge for the bearing to ride on makes the cuts more smooth.

1/2" roundover is up first on the vertical edges.

3 passes later, and we're done. That top seam will need a bit more filler later.

Hit the top edges with a chamfer bit. Some more body filler where it needs it and sanding, and we're ready for the 1st coat of primer.

I always use shellac alcohol based primer for MDF. It evaporates really quickly, so it doesn't swell the wood, and it dries really hard, which is great for sealing. I shot it out of a HVLP gun. It's a bit of a pain to clean, so I have a cheap Harbor Freight gun specifically for primer.

And here is the curse of MDF, the fuzzies!

Everything leveled out. As you can see, there is some wood exposed again, so it will need more primer. Hopefully the wood is now sealed however, and there will be no raised "fuzzies". Did some spot touchup with body filler again.

HVLP'ed some high build poly primer. Looks fairly nice and even.

Edges nice and smooth now.

Shot some matte white automotive acrylic enamel. This picture is the cabinet still wet.

Here is the rear with the paint semi dry. It will get even flatter when it is completely dry.

Pretty much all done! They have to be transported, so I'll be pulling the drivers out before moving. I only fastened with 2 screws each for audition/break in purposes. Sounds great thus far.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2014, 02:43 pm »
VERY nice finish work!

persisting1

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2014, 09:06 pm »
That white finish really looks good. Congrats!

Ron

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2014, 02:20 am »
  Your X-LS Encores look very nice. I especially like the way you did the top, bottom and sides. Good job !  :thumb:
Will the crossovers be stock or do you plan to upgrade them with Sonicap capacitors and Mills Resistors? Also, No-Rez sound damping treatment?

devinkato

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2014, 09:25 pm »
  Your X-LS Encores look very nice. I especially like the way you did the top, bottom and sides. Good job !  :thumb:
Will the crossovers be stock or do you plan to upgrade them with Sonicap capacitors and Mills Resistors? Also, No-Rez sound damping treatment?

Thanks Ron!

I tried to keep it a budget build - it's a gift for my Dad's retirement.  He was an electrical engineer, so I'll be sure and tell him the crossover is completely upgradable and mounted on a nice circuit board.

Being a budget build - I used my ghetto No-Rez solution.  I use a double layer of sound dampening material made of Butyl.  On top of that I put 1" thick open cell foam.  I know that No-Rez is recommended - but it's expensive!  I hope my solution gets me 90% of the way there with materials I already have on hand.  It's worked very well in the past.