Anyone Compare the Silver vs Copper Cables for the CDP PS?

BikeWNC

Just wondering if anyone has had the chance to do a comparison of the Silver and Copper cables that run from the PS to the tube modified CDP.  I have a Denon 2900 with the Universal Tube Mods and the Silver Umbilical Cable.  I see that Dan now recommends the Copper Acoustic Zen cable.  If it helps, my PS has just been upgraded to the tube rectified version.  Thanks.

Andy

LightFire

Re: Anyone Compare the Silver vs Copper Cables for the CDP PS?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2006, 04:27 am »
If I tell you the proved fact that there is no difference so you should get copper because it is a lot cheaper. You wouldn't believe me. So I will "state" the following:

Copper is a lot better because it has a warmer, earthly and more natural sound than the harsh bright silver. Specially if you are listening to CDs!

:thumb:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2006, 05:29 am »
If I tell you the proved fact that there is no difference so you should get copper because it is a lot cheaper. You wouldn't believe me. So I will "state" the following:

Copper is a lot better because it has a warmer, earthly and more natural sound than the harsh bright silver. Specially if you are listening to CDs!

Maybe you could say that copper sounds better in your system but silver might be better on some systems. Its about system synergy. On one hand you say that there is no difference but on the other hand you say that copper is more earthy and warmer. Which is it?

BikeWNC

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2006, 10:23 am »
I will have the opportunity to do this comparison in the nest few days. I have the tube rectified 9.0 power supply. My comparison may or may not be pertinent to those with the non-tubed 9.0 power supply.

Great.  Please post your findings if you don't mind.

Andy

Normanality

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2006, 02:34 pm »
I had both cables on my Sony 999ES.  Like most other comparisons, I believe results are very system dependent.
What sounds great on my setup may or may not produce similar results on other systems.

That said, I'm using Innersound Eros electrostatic speakers which are so clear and detailed that even small changes
are noticeable.  The silver umbilical is anything but harsh and bright.  It is sharper on the upper frequencies and a little
less 'full' on the midrange.  The copper produces a better midrange on my speakers, with slightly less detail and separation
on the upper frequencies.  All in all, differences are not earth shattering and both cables perform well. 
I noticed a much larger and noticeable improvement by switching to Bendix 6900 tubes.

I'm now running Dan's new modded 9100ES with copper and tube rectification.  That's a whole different story  :wink:

Normanality

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2006, 11:30 pm »

How was your 999ES configured? Did it have the upgraded clock, Bybee AC filters, Bybee RCA filters? Which tubes were you using? On a friend's 999ES, we found the clock made a substantial improvement in clarity and naturalness. All these variables can affect the detail and midrange performance. Knowing how your was configured helps to provide a point of reference.

The 999ES came complete with the Platinum upgrade including the X03 clock and filters.  I found, for my setup, nothing came close to the Bendix 6900 tubes.  They took awhile to burn-in but the improvement in resolution was very noticeable.  I'm using the same pair of 6900's in my new 9100ES Platinum.

Vtech2000

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2007, 12:11 am »
If I tell you the proved fact that there is no difference so you should get copper because it is a lot cheaper.

TRUE fact # 1 - if there were "no difference", ModWright would not offer both the copper and the silver umbilical.

TRUE fact # 2 - the copper (Acoustic Zen) umbilical is not "cheaper", it is the same price as the silver (Revelation Audio Labs) umbilical ($250).

Normanality

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2007, 01:01 am »

Maybe you could say that copper sounds better in your system but silver might be better on some systems. Its about system synergy. On one hand you say that there is no difference but on the other hand you say that copper is more earthy and warmer. Which is it?

Amen to the synergy theory.  On my ribbons, I much preferred the silver umbilical along with the Tung Sol 5687's.  Once I went to ESLs, I switched over to copper and the Bendix 6900 which is a match made in Heaven!

Both cables have their place.  I wouldn't discredit either!

modwright

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jan 2007, 01:48 pm »
Thanks for posting and clarifyin Brad.  It is true that both Silver and Copper umbilicals are both available and the price is the same - $250.  As ordered with the mod, the cable is included in the price.

Both types are available and I have customers that have preferred both.

Thanks,

Dan

Psychicanimal

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2007, 06:03 pm »

Neither high quality copper nor silver are cheap.  Great silver is hash free and better than copper, under most circumstances.

Happy New Year, Danny Boy!

Recibe con la presente mi más cordial saludo y deseos que en este año nuevo: te saques la lotería y estrenes casa nueva con un Mercedes Benz. Noches inolvidables de sexo intensivo, orgasmos múltiples, buenas erecciones y salud para disfrutarlas.

You get the point...aa

Syrah

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2007, 07:42 pm »
Hi All.  As the prior poster said, I can only comment on MY experience in MY system.  I had the 999 that I upgraded with the Revelation silver.  Someone suggested I try going back the original copper one.  I tried it and to my shock found it to be a huge improvement.  Based on that, Dan was nice enough to exchange my Revelation with a Jena copper, which I thought was much better.

In my system, I wouldn't describe the difference as one of "warmer" copper vs. "detailed" silver.  I found the copper to be more detailed with a bigger soundstage and a more natural tonal balance as between the mids and highs.  I found the silver to move the mids too far forward and to exagerate elements of the tonal balance that just didn't sound right in my system.

Unlike the conclusions of some of the other posters, the extent of the difference (in my system) was shockingly obvious.  I can see how the silver might be better in some systems, just not in mine.  My advice is - compare - it could be worth your while.