Pre- and post-GIK thoughts

JBrahms

Pre- and post-GIK thoughts
« on: 4 Mar 2013, 08:07 pm »
I ordered a set of 2 tri-traps and a diffusor for my smallish loft room, which overlooks my living room.    Team GIK on this site recommended the tri-traps and diffusor after chatting about my room.  I also stumbled into a pair of Elite Pillar Bass Traps that my local dealer wasn't using after he remodeled his room with other GIK products.

Prior to getting the room treatments, I had the use of a high-quality room setup mike and set of test CDs, which revealed a very clean treble, but also 3 moderate-to-severe dips in the region from 100-300 hz.  A waterfall showed some delay problems in the lower bass, especially from the left speaker.  The room supports the lowest frequencies because of its access to the larger room underneath it.

I got the Elite Pillars a couple days before the tri-traps, so I installed those behind my speakers.  They are quite attractive, and match the wood on my speakers (Harbeth Compact 7ES).   I had THOUGHT that the speakers suffered from midrange congestion on larger orchestral works; beyond the normal limitations of a mid-sized standmount.  Turns out that the bass clutter from behind the left speaker was the culprit.  The placement of the first bass pillar provided a much cleaner mid-bass (well above the problem area shown in the waterfall plot).   Ray Brown's plucked thirds now show clearly as distinct notes, and the horns in the Bruckner 9 are cleaner-edged but retain their appropriate weight and "blat."

When I got the remaining GIK gear I experimented with the diffusor and tri-traps, eventually placing the diffusor on the first reflection of the left speaker (which otherwise is a draped window), as GIK had recommended.
The tri-traps went in the corners behind the listening chair.

With this setup the soundstage expanded to the left, which eliminated a right-channel bias which was probably a result of the differences between the two surfaces; one a window, one a wall painted with sand-based paint.  I would term this an important development.

I also got a bit more soundstage depth.  This is a weakness of my room, so I'm happy with even a minor improvement.

In summary, the combined products yielded major improvements in lower bass clarity and impact, major improvement in mid-bass clarity, signficant improvment in soundstage width, and a minor improvement in soundstage depth.  I don't hear much change in the treble, which was outstanding (+/- 1 db) to begin with.

To give some perspective, I would consider the soundstage depth improvement to be on a par with, say, getting better cabling.  The bass improvements are on a level with getting new speakers.  At least 50% of the overall positive impact came with the placement of the single bass pillar behind the left speaker.

The net result is that my speakers will NOT be for sale, and I'm going to continue to experiment with room treatment placement, after I remove my LP and CD storage units from the room.

Background: Dedicated 11x12 listening room opening via a 47-inch high wall to a great room, with no obstuctions between speakers and listening site. My speakers are placed following the guidelines in Getting Better Sound, confirmed by measurements and listening, at 80 inches apart, 96-100 inches to the listening chair, toed in to meet about a foot behind my head. REL sub running at about 55 hz cross over, 0 phase setting, speakers running full range. Luxman 505u, Marantz 8004. Listening preferences are classical from chamber to Mahler and Bruckner, opera, and jazz. And the Clash.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Pre- and post-GIK thoughts
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2013, 08:27 pm »
Glad it's working out for you.  It's hard to describe what cleaning up the bottom end decay time can do across the entire spectrum until one actually  hears it. 

I will take reconsidering selling your speakers as a major success.

Bryan

Scottdazzle

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2013, 08:35 pm »
JB, I'm glad you got the same kind of improvement with the elite pillar traps that I did. It's a shame that GIK doesn't offer them anymore, so I guess we are among the lucky few. Mine are not placed ideally because of room limitations (they are in the corners behind the listening seats) but they still made a huge improvement.  When I get a new listening room, they will be going into the corners behind the speakers like yours.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2013, 08:38 pm »
We make the Soffit Trap now which is a slightly less expensive (no wood ends and corners) but actually slightly more effective replacement for the Pillar.  The absorptive surface of the pillars had to be make less and also less thickness to account for the top and bottom plate overhangs.

Not a huge difference in performance but we do still offer a good replacement at a reasonable cost.

Either product will perform very well.  I have Pillars myself in my living room system.

Bryan

Scottdazzle

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2013, 08:40 pm »
Bryan, yeah, the soffit traps will have a place in my new room, too!

JBrahms

« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2013, 08:42 pm »
We make the Soffit Trap now which is a slightly less expensive (no wood ends and corners) but actually slightly more effective replacement for the Pillar.  The absorptive surface of the pillars had to be make less and also less thickness to account for the top and bottom plate overhangs.

Not a huge difference in performance but we do still offer a good replacement at a reasonable cost.

Either product will perform very well.  I have Pillars myself in my living room system.

Bryan

I would have bought the Soffits if I had not stumbled onto the Elite Pillars. 

sl_1800

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2013, 12:51 am »
So the Soffit trap makes a good corner bass trap?  Better than the Tri trap or others?

drummermitchell

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:27 am »
I believe on the Gik site it says the soffit will be 50% more effective at around 50hz to 100hz compared to the Tritraps.
To bad the FRL's didn't come in a soffit shape instead of the 2'X4' style.
When I got all my tri's(and I have a few)the soffits just came out,it's been bugging me for quite awhile now.
I forgot to ask Bryan if they will do the FRL's in a soffit style.
I really like the tri's alot but when you hear of  something  more better at low end control,then the wheels start to turn again and again.
That's my next thing is the soffits,but I must confirm with Bryan or Glenn to make sure nothing better is coming out just around the corner,
Otherwise......................upgrade,when's enough, NEVER.
Just ordered 4 Q7D's so once I get those settled i'll be looking hard at the low end upgrade.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2013, 05:09 am »
Nice work...I'm a big fan of room treatments (and GIK!) as they make any equipment sound BETTER!  I've tried to describe the taming of the bass on the midrange to people as a semi truck idling outside your listening room.  You are kind of used to it after a while and only notice it when it's gone...then everything else cleans up and you would never go back!  The decay times are really important, too.  They really take the grunge off the music. 

Contrats!!! 

John

Ern Dog

« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2013, 04:31 pm »
JBrahms-  Glad to hear about your success.  I'm also a GIK fan and have worked with Bryan.  Their customer service and their prices is just first rate.  So far I have 2 Tri traps and 2 monster panels.  The tri traps revealed that the over abundance of bass was masking the mids.  It was a significant upgrade.  My only regret was that I didn't experiment with room treatment earlier.  I think because electronics are more fun to buy.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2013, 04:47 pm »
So the Soffit trap makes a good corner bass trap?  Better than the Tri trap or others?

Absolutely.  They'll go down close to another octave than the Tri Traps do and give you about 30% more surface area.

Bryan

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2013, 04:48 pm »
I believe on the Gik site it says the soffit will be 50% more effective at around 50hz to 100hz compared to the Tritraps.
To bad the FRL's didn't come in a soffit shape instead of the 2'X4' style.
When I got all my tri's(and I have a few)the soffits just came out,it's been bugging me for quite awhile now.
I forgot to ask Bryan if they will do the FRL's in a soffit style.
I really like the tri's alot but when you hear of  something  more better at low end control,then the wheels start to turn again and again.
That's my next thing is the soffits,but I must confirm with Bryan or Glenn to make sure nothing better is coming out just around the corner,
Otherwise......................upgrade,when's enough, NEVER.
Just ordered 4 Q7D's so once I get those settled i'll be looking hard at the low end upgrade.

Well....  We are working on a triangular FRL. It will be BIG though.  24x24x34" and 24" tall.  We've experimented with them in our test room and they really get down and grunt in that last octave and a half. 

Bryan

JBrahms

« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2013, 07:54 pm »
JBrahms-  Glad to hear about your success.  I'm also a GIK fan and have worked with Bryan.  Their customer service and their prices is just first rate.  So far I have 2 Tri traps and 2 monster panels.  The tri traps revealed that the over abundance of bass was masking the mids.  It was a significant upgrade.  My only regret was that I didn't experiment with room treatment earlier.  I think because electronics are more fun to buy.

I've fallen victim to this in the past.  It's so much fun to buy "stuff" and think you're getting ahead, but the real work is facing the fact that the key variable to address is the interrelationship with the room and your speakers, and it's hard, boring, work to get them to sound as good as they can.  Easier to drop money on new electronics and plop them down wherever and say it's "fine" or "good"

Alex Reynolds

• Industry Participant
  • Bringing Your Sound to Life
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2013, 11:57 pm »
I've fallen victim to this in the past.  It's so much fun to buy "stuff" and think you're getting ahead, but the real work is facing the fact that the key variable to address is the interrelationship with the room and your speakers, and it's hard, boring, work to get them to sound as good as they can.  Easier to drop money on new electronics and plop them down wherever and say it's "fine" or "good"

I agree. The funny thing is to non-audiophile friends & fam - people are typically more amused with the acoustic panels than the electronics half the time, when it's only cost you 5% of the room! I suppose this depends though, some speakers are a marvel to look at!

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2013, 01:49 am »
I agree. The funny thing is to non-audiophile friends & fam - people are typically more amused with the acoustic panels than the electronics half the time, when it's only cost you 5% of the room! I suppose this depends though, some speakers are a marvel to look at!

+1

Also, I use the Soffit Traps upright in room corners here and they perform two invaluable functions in my listening room: a) Great improvement in sound and b) a favorite napping spot for our cats. It's win-win !  :thumb:

D.D.

Alex Reynolds

• Industry Participant
  • Bringing Your Sound to Life
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2013, 03:52 am »
+1

Also, I use the Soffit Traps upright in room corners here and they perform two invaluable functions in my listening room: a) Great improvement in sound and b) a favorite napping spot for our cats. It's win-win !  :thumb:

D.D.

I smell a marketing campaign coming up featuring said cat. Send us some pics!!  :thumb: