'Tis the Season- For Chili!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 24 Dec 2004, 06:13 am »
I was BS'ing with some guys on *another site* about how the cold snap  signals the start of Chili Season- so I decided to post my recipe for Chili with Beans here, too.  I realize that to many southerners, particularly Texans, if it has beans it ain't really chili, but in my neck of the woods, most people prefer it with beans.  I make it both ways, myself, depending upon what I'm in the mood for.  The following is the one I whipped up for the last restaurant I ran:

Prairie Fire Chili with Beans

Servings: Makes a Big Ass Batch (ie better use an 8-10 qt heavy stockpot)

Ingredients:

2-3 lbs of steak (round, chuck, or sirloin- whatever's on hand)
Optional: Pork loin is great in place of steak and is a bit cheaper.
2 lbs sausage (from plain ol' Jimmy Dean to Italian or Chorizo)
3 lbs ground chuck (lean & coarse ground, if possible)
3 cups onions, med dice
1 cup roasted red peppers (or 1 whole red pepper, seeded & chopped)
1/2 cup diced canned japs (or about 2-3 fresh ones, seeded & chopped)- Vary with your tolerance for heat!
2 TBSP fresh minced garlic
1/4 cup chili powder (vary to taste)
1/4 cup cumin + 1 TBSP
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
2 tsp Worc sauce
Pepper: Feel free to vary depending upon how much heat you can take!
   2 tsp black pepper
  1 tsp white pepper
   1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
   1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 tsp Trappeys or Tobasco (2 TBSP if you use the Green Tobasco)

3-4 TBSP paprika (mostly for appearance- some Kitchen Bouquet is okay, too)
Cornstarch or Roux (about 4 TBSP starch + equal water OR 5 TBSP roux)
5 cups Jus (au Jus to most people- any low salt beef broth or stock is fine)
5 x cans of diced tomatoes, drained
1 can Mrs Grimes or Bushes Chili Hot Beans (with sauce)
1 can Dark Red Kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1 can Pinto Beans, drained & rinsed
2 cans Black Beans, drained & rinsed
2 oz canola or other oil
OPTIONAL: 1 x 6-8 oz can tomato paste

When cutting the jalapenos, coat hands with oil or (better yet) wear latex or vinyl gloves. At all costs, avoid touching your eyes. Capsicum will stick to your hands despite repeated handwashings with soap! Contact with mucous membranes will be similar to being maced. Be careful. Japs are pretty hot, so I use jars of mild to med heat peppers. A real diehard can buy hot ones or use Scotch Bonnets (many times hotter than japs).

Cut the steak into small strips or cubes, then saute in hot oil. In a separate pan, brown the burger & sausage. When the meat is about half browned, add the diced onions. Cook til the ground meat is nicely browned, then drain the grease. Add the steak to the pot.

At this point you're ready for the beef broth. Pour over the meat & turn up heat to med. Stir in the roasted red peppers, diced canned japs, fresh minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, basil, paprika, Worc sauce & pepper. Stir vigorously till all the dry ingredients dissolve, then add the Trappeys or Tobasco. If you want to add tomato paste, do it now.

Once the spices are mixed well, add the tomatos and beans. Stir over med to high heat for about 15 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer. It's best to let it cook for at least two hours, and four is better. This will give the broth enough time to work the capsicum out of the pepper and cook the metallic taste out of the chili powder. Bear in mind it'll take about 1 & 1/2 hours for the steak or pork loin to break down and become tender.

Once the chili has simmered, it's ready to thicken. You can use either cornstarch mixed with equal parts cold water, or you can use roux. To thicken with cornstarch, give the starch & water mix a good stir, then slowly blend into the chili with a wire wisk. Roux is a cooked thickener made with equal parts oil and AP flour. To make it, heat the oil over low/med heat & stir in the flour, stirring til it's all incorporated. Continue to cook til light brown, stirring continuously. If you wish to thicken with roux, use it as you would the cornstarch, mixing in a little at a time with a wisk. In either case, bring the chili up to a boil for two minutes, stirring to keep from burning, to gelatinize all the starch. (If you thicken with roux, it's best to then reduce to a simmer for another half hour til the raw taste of flour is gone. Roux binding takes awhile, but won't break if you decide to freeze it, whereas cornstarch thickened sauces will. Hey, I never said this was as fast as opening a can of Hormel!:lol: ).

Remove from the heat & let stand a few minutes. A few serving suggestions:

Green Bay Style- ladle over spaghetti (yeah, I don't get those guys, either. :jester:  )
Chili Nachos- Fill shallow bowl with tortilla chips, toss with cheese & microwave. Cover with chili, sour cream, black olives, pickled japs & diced onions.
Chili Burger- Serve burger on two slices of toast. Add cheese & douse with chili.  Top with onions o'plenty.
Chili Mac- Just like it sounds, stir hot chili into mac & cheese.
Chili cheese burrito- Like taco bell, but good.  Brown about 1/4 lb of ground beef in a small pan.  Drain, then add a couple ladles of chili & reduce. Stir in shredded cheddar and roll up in a tortilla.

In any event, serve with plenty of cold beer! :beer:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2004, 06:57 am »
Wow Rob !! Lots of stuff in your recipe , sounds good !!
    I'll add your recipe to the collection I've gathered on AC. Ever see this thread.....
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=14518 . Some good one's there too !!! Merry Xmas !!! :xmas: [/list:u]

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2004, 07:13 am »
Hmmm...guess I didn't see those.  I don't hit the Regional Circles that much (since there's not a SoDak Circle! :lol: ).  I'm not grooving to the "Bear Chili" idea- bear sucks! :x   I've had it on a few occasions, and even the choicest cuts are hard to keep down.  Deer, elk, antelope, even alligator- those I'll eat.  I'm not sure I could keep the 'gator in the chili pot, though! :jester:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2004, 07:25 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Hmmm...guess I didn't see those.  I don't hit the Regional Circles that much (since there's not a SoDak Circle!
    I'd say, less typing....more reading.... :lol: [/list:u]

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2004, 07:27 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Hmmm...guess I didn't see those.  I don't hit the Regional Circles that much (since there's not a SoDak Circle!
    I'd say, less typing....more reading.... :lol: [/list:u]

Hey, those 4,000+ posts won't type themselves. :lol:

BTW, it might seem like a lot of ingredients, but it's not that bad.  Several of the ingredients are different types of pepper, for instance.  I'm a big believer in that to give "roundness" to the flavor.  Each kind is just a little different and hits your taste buds from a different way.  It deepens the flavor.  I'll often use granulated garlic with fresh and add onion powder along minced onion.  Same sort of thing.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2004, 07:38 am »
It's a good descriptive recipe.....but the best part is the eating/tasting !! 8)
    When cold weather hits , thought's turn to soup, stew's and chilli.....to keep the cold away. Thanks for posting the recipe !! :) [/list:u]

rosconey

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2004, 11:36 am »
chilli isnt supposed to be nothing but heat :flame:
when made right it has flavor that everyone enjoys,for the knuckle heads who want nothing but hot they can add stuff after its served :cuss:

the creative thing to do is try different veggies and meats-potato,corn,celery,different beans :wink: -bologna(big chunks)hot dog pieces,peperoni,summer sausage

always and i mean always prepare a day in advance and reheat-

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2004, 12:29 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
...chilli isnt supposed to be nothing but heat :flame:
when made right it has flavor that everyone enjoys... :cuss:

That's what the roasted red peppers, fresh minced garlic, chili powder,  cumin, oregano, basil, Worc sauce, paprika, Jus, tomatoes & tomato paste are for. :wink:  And seriously, it's not that hot, you big baby. :P    :lol:

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2004, 01:33 pm »
Excellent recipe.  I appreciate your explainations and reasons for your recipe.  They sure help the amature cook wana-be in me.

Why rinse and drain the beans and tomatoes?  I always dumped them in figuring they were cooked in the sauce the sauce should be
"seasoned" and add to the chili.  I would just add paste to thicken in needed.

Have you ever experimented with mushrooms (the ones that don't make you laugh your ass off 8)  )in your chili?  

Love the surving suggestions.  I thought I was the only wierd one to dump chili over nacho chips and add cheese and sc.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2004, 01:51 pm »
You don't need to rinse the tomatoes.  I drain them because I don't need more liquid in the recipe and it's mostly just water (if I end up needing more liquid volume I add more beef stock instead).  I rinse the beans because the viscous stuff they're in is mostly starchy water.  The chili hot beans don't get rinsed because they're packed in a chili-type sauce; if you drained them you may as well buy regular beans.

My dad likes 'shrooms in his chili.  I guess it's okay, but I'm a little leery of straying too far out there.  There's just so much you change change/add before it just ain't chili anymore...

The chili cheese burrito is pretty darn tasty, too.  If you've only ever had the waxy-shelled Taco Hell version you'd be surprised. :lol:

Gordy

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2004, 04:27 pm »
An excellent recipe Rob, thanks :D   In my area we have an abundance of mexican food stores so using a mix of dried peppers like pasillo, ancho and new mexican instead of the chili powder is a nice option.  Also, try substituting Chilpotles (smoke dried) for the Jalipenos.

Habaneros, Datils, Scotch Bonnets etc. have such a citrusy taste to them that, personally, I'd save 'em for an islands recipe like jerk sauce. I just happen to have  :lol: an very good recipe that came from a Jamacan born chef who's mom was Chinese:

Jerk Chicken -

1 sm. - med. onion, chopped
1 bunch scallions/green onions, chopped
2 Habaneros (3 with experience)
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 Tbs. 5 spice powder
1 Tbs. allspice
1 Tbs. black pepper
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
juice from 2 limes
1/2 C soy sauce (lite- opt.)
2 Tbs. peanut oil (any oil)
2 chickens in pieces

Follow Rob's notes on chili handling :!:  Habs. are especially dangerous...
You may want to use just a single Habanero until you know the heat level, use a thick chunk of bread as a dipper when tasting as it'll give you a more realistic sense of the true flavor and the carbs will help cut the heat.   You can just de-stem the Habs and add to a food processor along with all the other ingredients, except soy sauce, and puree. Add soy slowly at this point to avoid spilling/spashing!

Coat the chicken well with the marinade in a s.s. or glass bowl or even zip locks and marinate for 6 to 24 hrs., heat will deepen with time.  Grill with grill lid down to increase smokiness and or use wood chips.  

This is also excellent with pork chops or pork loin!!!

Happy Holidays everyone :xmas:
Gordy

RooX

« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2004, 05:04 pm »
I have made up and tried dozens of chili recipies over teh years, its one of my favorite meals.  but this one sounds so good rob, that the miss and I are going to make it for our christmas eve dinner tonight :)  ill let ya'll know how it turns out.

cheers, Happy Holidays!
Colin

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2004, 07:35 pm »
I love Jerk Chicken, Gordy- and that's just with 'off the rack' seasonings.  That's one I'm gonna have to try.  I totally agree with you on the chili seasoning, making your own is better.  But in SoDak buying pasillo & ancho is sometimes a pain, and I'm sometimes too lazy to make my own anyway. :oops:   It's totally better than boughten stuff, but if you use boughten at least keep it fresh & cook it long enough to cook the "canned" taste out.  I like Chipotle, but oddly I don't really like it in my chili that much (I want a very specific flavor profile and I general don't want it smokey, although I love smoke in most things).  Also, I'll confess I'm way too much of a candy ass for Scotch Bonnets! :lol:   Japs are all the hot I can bear.

Geez, Roox- Christmas Eve dinner?  That's a lot of pressure. :oops:   Hope it doesn't let you down!  If you're not big on hot stuff, start easy with the spicy japs & pepper.  I've sorta built up a bit of tolerance d/t the amount of Cajun food I've cooked/eaten.  You also may need to keep a bit of broth in reserve; I like my chili very thick & chunky, but if you want 'soup' you may need 6-7 cups of stock.

Funny story (er, it's funny now, anyway :wink: )- about 10 years ago I made my first batch of chili with fresh jalapeno's.  I knew they were hot (fancy book learnin' :rules: ) but I'd never used them much, so I figured a good thorough scrub with soap would do.  After scrubbing thru the day I couldn't smell anything, so I figured I was good.  Late that night I went in the bathroom to take out my contacts...yep, you guessed.  Felt like a blast of mace in the eyes!  Despite half a dozen hand washings thru the day, direct contact with the eyes still felt like a bee sting.  You can bet I've never repeated that mistake.

RooX

« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2004, 09:45 pm »
I'm sure it'll turn out just great.  I might take a bit of artistic license and make a few small ingredient changes (christmas shopping sorta makes it hard to find everything) but overall it'll stay true to form.

As for the hot stuff, I'm not to worried; I'll add a few scotch bonnets, and it'll keep us warm.  I grew up on cajun and a lot of food from Trinidad, so I'm OK with spice.   I used to have a habenero garden in my house and we would either eat them fresh, or dry up a big batch and turn it to powder.  No need for pepper when you have crushed hab's. :)

Gordy

« Reply #14 on: 24 Dec 2004, 10:36 pm »
:lol:  I did the same thing years ago, only it wasn't my eye balls that got burnt :o

bob82274

« Reply #15 on: 24 Dec 2004, 10:40 pm »
My family will also be having chili tonight as well.  When I return to Raleigh I'll have to post a recipe for Picadillo.  Its like a Cuban version of chili that while isn't very hot, has a lot of flavor.  Excelent over rice.

MaxCast

« Reply #16 on: 25 Dec 2004, 05:32 am »
Yeah, don't take a piss after cutting peppers either :o

What is a home made mix for chili powder?  I've always hated the package chili/taco mixes.

RooX

« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2004, 05:53 am »
Kudos Rob on a great recipe!  It was enjoyed greatly tonight.  The only major addition I made was a small dash of cinnamon. What I wasn't really thinking of as I made it was how huge of a serving it made.  In retrospect it makes sense, but I just couldn't believe how big it all was when simmering!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 25 Dec 2004, 12:24 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
Yeah, don't take a piss after cutting peppers either :o

Yikes!  I've at least not ever done that! :o  :lol:

A homemade mix would be to roast your own peppers, seed them & grind 'em for chili powder.  Or you could buy dried pepper. Here's Alton Brown's recipe for chili powder (you know, the Good Eats guy).

Glad you liked it, Roox.  You can't say I didn't warn you it'd be a large batch.  That's one 'problem' with many of my reciped- I developed most of them for commercial use, and some don't scale down too well (if you need 4 different beans what do you do to make a small batch- use 1/2 of each can?).

Some people add cinnimon or a few squares of bakers chocolate.  And many like to use a bottle or two of beer in the sauce.  I've never felt beer improved the flavor when used in chili, but a bottle on the side is always welcome. :beer:

RooX

« Reply #19 on: 25 Dec 2004, 04:24 pm »
with respect to the beer, that was my thought as well.. on the side is where it stayed.  

what do you cook that you need to invent such huge batches of food?

merry christmas all!