james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA 3.14 DAC, preamp and streamer
« Reply #41 on: 21 Sep 2020, 12:11 pm »
HI Folks,

The latest issue of Absolute Sound Magazine has a very detailed review on our Bryston BDA3.14 DAC/Streamer/Preamplifier by Steven Stone.

Please see the summary in the attached memo.

You can read the complete review in the October issue of the Absolute Sound Magazine.

james

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston 3.14 DAC/STREAMER/PREAMP

Setember, 2020

Summary
Since high-performance audio became “a thing,” audio manufacturers have come and gone. Many have been short-lived establishments offering “bleeding-edge” performance with equally short warrantees on products with limited lifespans. Bryston is different. Because Bryston’s roots were in pro audio, where long-term reliability is crucial to success, longevity has always been part of Bryston’s DNA. No other audio firm offers a 20-year warranty and is still around to honor it. This is one of the reasons that audiophiles seeking high-value components have embraced Bryston gear since 1976. As an example, I have employed five Bryston Powerpac 120 monoblock power amplifiers in various applications and systems (including P.A. and subwoofer) for nineteen years, and they are still functioning within spec as far as I know and still under warranty if by chance one does go down. That’s value.

The Bryston BDA-3.14’s goal was to offer a similar level of overall performance as the BDA-3, while adding streaming options and a volume control, and upping cost by a mere $400. I think it was successful. And if I were in the market for a new DAC, with the intention of keeping it as long as possible, the BDA-3.14 would be a prime candidate for acquisition.

The BDA-3.14 is a first-class component that could be the center of a high-performance digital audio system—maybe even yours.

sep297

« Reply #42 on: 30 Sep 2020, 01:44 pm »
My 3.14 has now lost its Roon Uncertified warning. I am assuming the new firmware has done the trick with Roon, thanks Chris and the team.

Thanks

Stuart

Tubegem

« Reply #43 on: 30 Sep 2020, 06:56 pm »
James,
In Gordon Brockhouse review in May, he mentions an upgraded hdmi module being worked on. I sincerely hope that one of the hdmi will become I2s. Is there a tentative release date for the upgraded module? I’m ready to order. Any further progress in Amazon Music HD?

Both you and Gordon along with a number of other Canadian reviewers keep referring to Qobuz. I want to try it, but keep getting ‘not available’ in your country. Is there a secrete hand-shake or back door in order to get access?

Thanks, Ed

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 30 Sep 2020, 09:47 pm »
James,
In Gordon Brockhouse review in May, he mentions an upgraded hdmi module being worked on. I sincerely hope that one of the hdmi will become I2s. Is there a tentative release date for the upgraded module? I’m ready to order. Any further progress in Amazon Music HD?

Both you and Gordon along with a number of other Canadian reviewers keep referring to Qobuz. I want to try it, but keep getting ‘not available’ in your country. Is there a secrete hand-shake or back door in order to get access?

Thanks, Ed

Hi Ed

I have a manufactures account with Qobuz so I do not think it is available yet in Canada.  I get it because it allows us to develop products.

I know there is no update on Amazon.

The updated module is not something I am aware of - will ask gary.

james

Timslim18

« Reply #45 on: 30 Sep 2020, 10:08 pm »
James,

Thanks, Ed

ED... PM me re: Qobuz

Tubegem

« Reply #46 on: 1 Oct 2020, 12:41 am »
ED... PM me re: Qobuz
Sorry, how do I send a PM?  :duh:

Timslim18

« Reply #47 on: 1 Oct 2020, 02:19 pm »
Sorry, how do I send a PM?  :duh:

I sent you a PM which you should find in your "My Messages" inbox by clicking on the bar at the top of the AudioCircle screen.

Tubegem

« Reply #48 on: 6 Oct 2020, 07:19 pm »
Hi Ed

I have a manufactures account with Qobuz so I do not think it is available yet in Canada.  I get it because it allows us to develop products.

I know there is no update on Amazon.

The updated module is not something I am aware of - will ask gary.

james

Hi James,

Thank you for your clarification. On the BR20 just being released, it announces a new HDMI optional board. So not sure if it’s different than the one on the 3.14. If so, what would the difference and will it be available on the 3.14. Is an upgrade to the pi 4 possible or an improvement.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 7 Oct 2020, 12:26 am »

Hi

The HDMI board is the same.  The Pi 4 has a different arrangement on the connections so it can not be used in the 3.14.

james

7ryder

« Reply #50 on: 1 Nov 2020, 09:01 pm »
My 3.14 has now lost its Roon Uncertified warning. I am assuming the new firmware has done the trick with Roon, thanks Chris and the team.

Thanks

Stuart

Mine is still showing as "uncertified" and I just saw on Roon that the firmware had been released, but I don't see it on my 3.14 dashboard. did yours update automatically?

sep297

« Reply #51 on: 2 Nov 2020, 01:56 am »
Hi,

There were some Brsyton BDA 3.14 firmware updates in September I installed them and a couple of days later it lost the uncertified tag.

I don't think there were any further Roon updates needed at the time however there has been at least one since then.

Regards

Stuart

docadhoc

« Reply #52 on: 3 Nov 2020, 10:49 am »
Hi.
I upgraded from BDA&BDP2 to BDA-3.14. It was a pleasant experience regarding sound quality (SQ). I tried Roon a couple of years ago and was not impressed. But with new gear comes new possibilities, so I decided to try Roon once more.

Setup: New macMini as roon core (version 1.7 build 667), BDA-3.14 in Roon ready mode (version S2.44 2020-10-22), BP-26 pre, 28B SST2 amps, Magnepan 3.7i speakers, WireWorld platinum and gold cables. 2L files, PCM spanning from CD to 24/352,  DSD from 64 to 256. Files on portable disc connected via USB (Toshiba SSD).

Result: The Roon functionality was amazing, the Roon SQ good – but not great. Playing the same Hi-rez files using MPD gives a more open sound, more details and more “air”. Not a dramatic difference – but definite.

Question 1: Is it at all possible for the two methods to produce the same SQ or will there always be a difference due to jitter – assuming that the file is transferred “bit perfect”? Is there any setting I can adjust – or something that can be done in a future software release?

Tehnical issues: I have experienced that firmware installation is much more unstable than on my BDP-2. I may have to install several times to get it presumably right. I have observed CPU load on almost 100% when running Roon, reduced to 25% after re-installation of the same Firmware. I am currently running the S2.44 2020-10-22 version – and do not dear to install the latest version. I have also learned that moving between Roon and MPD is tricky – but not impossible. You have to start by disabling the BDA in the Roon core – then stop the Roon service – then start the MPD service and USB mount before you select MPD as Playback Method. It is not sufficient just to select a different playback method in the dashboard. I have also experienced that, when in Roon mode, you cannot use some of the other inputs (SPD/diff – HDMI). Or – actually – it works for a second and is the blocked – presumably by Roon. Once Roon is completely removed, everything works almost fine – almost, because the link between the Pi player and the BDA section is not completely stable – you sometimes need to turn it on and off a couple of times.

Question 2: Is it possible to improve the functionality so that I can just select Playback Method without having to go through the described ritual?

Question 3: Is it possible to update the firmware so that I can use all the inputs even when in Roon ready mode?

Question 4: My BDA-3.14 is unable to play DSD 256 reference files from 2L records. Is this a bug or a limitation of the HW? The manual states it should be possible – all though converted to PCM. Playing DSD 64 and 128 versions of the same music works fine.

Question 5: I sometimes observe that the SWAP is off – sometimes that it is used. Is this happening automatically – or is there somewhere I can turn it on?

Any suggestions welcome
Petter

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #53 on: 3 Nov 2020, 12:01 pm »
Hi Petter

Chris is the best one to answer your questions - standby.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #54 on: 12 Nov 2020, 12:20 pm »

Question 1: Is it at all possible for the two methods to produce the same SQ or will there always be a difference due to jitter – assuming that the file is transferred “bit perfect”? Is there any setting I can adjust – or something that can be done in a future software release?

Question 2: Is it possible to improve the functionality so that I can just select Playback Method without having to go through the described ritual?

Question 3: Is it possible to update the firmware so that I can use all the inputs even when in Roon ready mode?

Question 4: My BDA-3.14 is unable to play DSD 256 reference files from 2L records. Is this a bug or a limitation of the HW? The manual states it should be possible – all though converted to PCM. Playing DSD 64 and 128 versions of the same music works fine.

Question 5: I sometimes observe that the SWAP is off – sometimes that it is used. Is this happening automatically – or is there somewhere I can turn it on?

Hi Petter,

I'm not sure what your hearing between the two playback methods as both MPD and Roon should perform identically.

I personally have never had to do anything more then use the playback method drop down found on the dashboard to switch between MPD, Roon or Airplay so perhaps a setting in MPD settings you;ve changed is the culprit?

I'm not sure what your referring to in question 3?

DSD256 playback is possible but I've only seen it work when the music is stored on a USB drive that is formatted as exFat and even then there could be other factors preventing uninterrupted playback of this format.

Chris

docadhoc

« Reply #55 on: 12 Nov 2020, 08:46 pm »
Hi Petter,
I'm not sure what your hearing between the two playback methods as both MPD and Roon should perform identically.
I personally have never had to do anything more then use the playback method drop down found on the dashboard to switch between MPD, Roon or Airplay so perhaps a setting in MPD settings you;ve changed is the culprit?
I'm not sure what your referring to in question 3?
DSD256 playback is possible but I've only seen it work when the music is stored on a USB drive that is formatted as exFat and even then there could be other factors preventing uninterrupted playback of this format.

Chris
Thanks, Chris.
I assume my ears are playing me tricks - if Roon only does a file transfer, and the playback is as if the file was read from an usb disc, using internal clock, it should be identical.
Changeing between MPD and Roon using drop-down works after upgrading to v. 2.44
I am not successfull in playing DSD from an SSD formated in exFAT - but can live without it.
Question 3: When in Roon mode (also with v. 2.44), if I select the s/pdif input or the HDMI input using the remote control - it only works for a couple of seconds. Then everything goes quiet. If I change to MPD mode, and the select s/pdif or HDMI - everything is fine. I assumed that it was the Roon server that re-posessed control.
Petter

robbie2771

« Reply #56 on: 9 Dec 2020, 05:15 pm »
Does any one have the firmware bin file for the last few updates for the bryston 3.14
i just hooked up mine and i am having problems and cannot get into the service menu or even click anything on the mybryston.com interface
the only thing that i can do is hook it up with service ethernet and service usb and i can change the bin file, i don't know if the current firmware is currupted. Any ideas?
Can i go backward with firmware, and get it all set up and then update? Unfortunately mine has not worked yet but it powers up, i think this is just software related.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I talked to my dealer who told me to reach out to chris at bryston and i have forwarded an email to him, just thought if anyone has old firmware bins on there computer and could forward it
Thanks in advance
Rob

Tubegem

« Reply #57 on: 10 Dec 2020, 10:52 pm »
Does any one have the firmware bin file for the last few updates for the bryston 3.14
i just hooked up mine and i am having problems and cannot get into the service menu or even click anything on the mybryston.com interface
the only thing that i can do is hook it up with service ethernet and service usb and i can change the bin file, i don't know if the current firmware is currupted. Any ideas?
Can i go backward with firmware, and get it all set up and then update? Unfortunately mine has not worked yet but it powers up, i think this is just software related.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I talked to my dealer who told me to reach out to chris at bryston and i have forwarded an email to him, just thought if anyone has old firmware bins on there computer and could forward it
Thanks in advance
Rob

Hi Robbie. I had a similar problem with my unit a couple of weeks ago. Have you tried using it as a dac only? Just to make sure it works?
Out of the box, I also could not connect to Bryston web. All connections were hardwired and all were double checked. Shut  everything down. Second day managed to connect and update software. After reboot no connection. Verified that all inputs on the dac worked. The only issue was that the USB would only play native dsd or dop. Any other source from attached Sony, resulted in loud hash sound like a jamming signal. Same Sony usb>V192>cox & bal > 3.14 worked fine
Gary from Bryston returned my call for help on a Sunday. Totally unexpected, but much appreciated. Remote diagnosis pinned it down to the Pi. The odd thing it was intermittent, some times it works.  Gary ordered a replacement unit to arrive soon, I hope.
For the last 4 days before shipping, the connection worked every day, but the usb didn’t.
Not sure if that helps.

Tubegem

« Reply #58 on: 18 Dec 2020, 09:07 pm »
3.14 Take2
Last Saturday, I received a replacement 3.14 unit. Very great full for the speedy replacement.

Out off the box, no issues with connection with Bryston web. Did software update, configuration and everything went smooth. Attached music and bRadio sounds richer and very satisfying.

The only issue I still have is in getting anything to play on the 3.14 using the usb B input from the Sony Hap-z1es other than DSD, natural or DoP. Tunein radio, internal music of cd quality or hi res all produce an extremely loud electronic distortion.

Again tested the same usb cable (BIS as are the rest of my cables) from the Sony to a MF24/192  output coax and aes worked perfectly on the 3.14. Lumin D1 coax to 3.14 worked perfectly.

Sony usb to Nuprime DAC (4490) works fine with all input and music type.

Has anyone run into a similar issue. Is there anything on the 3.14 set up that I’m missing as far as allowing various types of files as input?
 I really want this to work as I’m enjoying the sound.

The reason I want to attach the Sony is to play my DSD music and Tunein radio as I can’t figure out how to get the stations I listen to out of bRadio.

Greatly appreciate any input.

Nitsuave

« Reply #59 on: 4 Jan 2021, 03:24 pm »
I finally got around to connecting my 3.14 directly to my amplifier and using the pre amp feature.  The results were very good compared to running the signal through my Anthem AVM 60.
Question: If I use the RCA outputs to connect the 3.14 directly to my amplifier, can I simultaneously use one of the XLR outputs to send a signal to my JL Audio F112 subwoofer?

Thanks