acrylic platter concepts

beat

acrylic platter concepts
« on: 7 May 2003, 11:06 pm »
Hello all,
I recieved a bunch of acrylic from a friend who is in the business to build my platter. I have one solid 3.5 inch slab and I have 3 slabs that are 1 inch each. I was playing around with the idea of laminating different materials between the three layers of 1 inch. So, If I did, what would I look for in terms of physical characteristics? vibration absorbing, transfering, grounding, resonating? thin layers of wood veneer, rubber, leave and airgap between em with balls of lead, or cigar butts?... I'll definitely keep the 3.5" chunk whole. As I'm typing, I think I know what the concensus will say..play around with it. I just wanted a little preliminary feedback.

Marbles

acrylic platter concepts
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2003, 11:25 pm »
Instead of laminating the three, why not use each with a different filling?  I mean drill holes the way Teres does and fill them in with different material.

See what filling sounds best and then use that in the bigger platter.

Chris B told me that he leaves the lead shot a little loose as it sounds better then when compacting it tightly.  So it must obsorb vibrations like a liquid this way.

So you want high mass as well as high obsorption.

Feel like messing with Mercury????? :o   I wouldn't recomend it for health reasons, but I bet it would work great.

So my recomendation would be to go to the Redpoint website and the Teres website and see what you can learn, then do a search on the AA vinyl site.

I think lead shot should be a starting point though.

beat

acrylic platter concepts
« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2003, 12:11 am »
HMMM..mercury. :idea: high mass and high absorption.
Well, It wouldn't be the first time I played with it - which explains alot about the condition of my brain - high mass low absorption :lol: