Mahler Symphonies

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Mahler Symphonies
« on: 22 Jul 2008, 01:42 am »
Tons of Mahler out there.  I've personally got abuot 20 sets of Mahler Symphonies but thought I'd recommend a single set that gets most of the best possible both from a sound quality and from an interpretation standpoint.  Specifically, the Bertini set is highly recommended (by me) as a great introduction to this music, and a sonic spectacular.  Mahler is the last of the romantics, and is consequently as over-the-top as you are likely to find.  The "best" performances are all in poor sound (helloBruno Walter), and the modern trend has been to slow this music down to a dirge-like pace (Chailly and Tilson-Thomas to name a couple).  Bertini steers a middle course, giving us a very good Mahler cycle in excellent sound.

BradJudy

Re: Mahler Symphonies
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2008, 01:47 am »
Thanks for the tip Tyson.  I was just reading a bit about Mahler since we'll be in Prague later this year.  I figured I should do some listening to some of the classics from the area (although it seems most who were born there created their music elsewhere). 

Tyson

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2008, 01:53 am »
Mahler is a very interesting man - he sort of mixed the Romantic sensibility and some of the classical forms with folk music (ala Brahms), stirred in a fascination with death, an aching lovely view of man-woman relationships, and an overall tragic sense of life to create some of the most beautiful and tragic music ever.  Mahler is probably the most accessable of the classical composers due to his thoroughly modern sensibilities.  Some even say his music predicted the rise of the Nazi's and the Holocaust (Mahler was Jewish), but I think his message was more universal and more existential.  If ever Nietzsche had a musical equivalent, it was Mahler.

soewhatman

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2008, 01:56 am »
I've been listening to some Mahler lately on LP....a Time Life boxed set I picked up at a local thrift store, and have been really digging it.  You've piqued my interest here.  Are you specifically referring to the EMI boxed set, linked here?

http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphonies-1-10-Lied-Erde/dp/B000BQ7BX2

If that's the one you speak highly of I'll give it a whirl.

Rick.

Tyson

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:03 am »
Yes, that is exactly it.  That a relatively unknown (and now dead) conductor can produce such a great Mahler set is somewhat miraculous. 

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:41 am »
I can't wait to hear this new 9th: http://www.rattlemahler.com/

I was fortunate to see NC Symphony play the 9th with the great conductor Grant Llewellyn last fall. Sitting 8th row center, it was very memorable.

I only have NYP/Bernstein 5th, was saving up for the SF cycle, figuring, "It must be good cuz it won those grammys!" hehe...  But I will try the Bertini first, thanks for the tip. Just got a used copy on Amazon - Thanks for the link soewhatman.
Thanks
Rich

BradJudy

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2008, 03:22 pm »
BTW: I recently picked up Mahler's Das Lied von der Erde  (Otto Klemperer on EMI) based on a recommendation on HeadFi.  I've only given it one listen so far and I'm ripping it now. 

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2008, 06:28 pm »
The Bertini cycle is excellent. Recording, interpretation, overall feel. Thanks for the tip Tyson.  Now for Prokofiev? hehe

Tyson

« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2008, 08:46 pm »
Sure, I'll start a new thread for Sergei.

KS

« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2008, 09:04 pm »

jazzcourier

« Reply #10 on: 4 Aug 2008, 01:55 am »
A few years ago we got the last pair of seats for the Mahler Third at Carnegie Hall.It was the Philadelphia conducted by Eisenbach and this was one of the greatest musical nights of my life.I must confess i had never heard the third before that night and had heard a few other symphonies by Mahler.I just like to jump in and check stuff out.This was a thrilling performance of an amazing work.I know some think it is too  long,some 100 minutes.It was a mindblower.
 I was fortunate enough to see Jimi Hendrix six times,and sat no more than five feet away from Monk,Miles and sat behind Bill Evans for three amazing sets where i could see the keyboard.He put his drink on our table,and at the start of the third set smiled at us and said "This is always the best set".Hearing the massive,involving Mahler third for the first will remain a profound musical experience.

Tyson

« Reply #11 on: 4 Aug 2008, 03:08 am »
Jazzcourrier, I'm sooo jealous, back when I lived in Houston the conductor was Eschenbach, but that was before I was a classical lover, and so I missed out on my chance to see him on a regular basis :(  From all reports he is a GREAT Mahler conductor.

TerryO

« Reply #12 on: 4 Aug 2008, 04:00 am »
I can't wait to hear this new 9th: http://www.rattlemahler.com/

I was fortunate to see NC Symphony play the 9th with the great conductor Grant Llewellyn last fall. Sitting 8th row center, it was very memorable.

I only have NYP/Bernstein 5th, was saving up for the SF cycle, figuring, "It must be good cuz it won those grammys!" hehe...  But I will try the Bertini first, thanks for the tip. Just got a used copy on Amazon - Thanks for the link soewhatman.
Thanks
Rich

I've got same Cd. Took it to one of our Stereo Club meetings where it was played to the embarrassment of a certain Hi-End Speaker Manufacturer. It does make an excellent test Cd for discerning the sense of scale that a speaker/amp combo can deliver. Mahler can really overwhelm a system if the "victim" isn't used to Classical Music :thumb:

Mahler evidently also has a very religious effect, as the Club members were heard to mumble "Oh My God!" and "Jesus Christ!" while it was playing.

Best Regard,
TerryO

Tyson

« Reply #13 on: 4 Aug 2008, 04:15 pm »
Karajan's Mahler 6 at loud volumes is enough to make most speakers beg for mercy.  The 8th performed by Solti, even more so.  Mahler is a great, great test for speakers.  One of the reasons I ended up w/ RM40's :D