The RUBYs are..... Outstanding

shauk786

The RUBYs are..... Outstanding
« on: 2 Nov 2017, 09:46 pm »
I am not a great writer and describer of audio gear and performance, but I know what I like, and I have heard some very high end systems at shows, at LA and Orange County Audio Society meetings, and fellow audiophile homes and GTG.

I have been a VMPS owner since 2004 when I first got my VMPS RM-40, 626R, and Larger subwoofers.  I immediately liked the sound and presentation to the soundstage and imaging.  Over the years, I became friends with Brian Cheney and even helped him in setting up, and photos for some of his Las Vegas shows.

I have found myself enjoying all kinds and brands of speakers, but had never heard anything I like better than my RM-40, or that even came close.  When Brian died so did VMPS.  Not that I was searching for anything, because I was already happy with my 2 channel and home theater sound.  Then I picked up a better home theater processor, the Yamaha CX A-5100, which had Dolby Atmos channels and I started looking.

My former VMPS dealer told me he had found a new speaker company that was as good or even better than VMPS.  Since I was looking for a smaller speaker for Atmos use I picked up 2 pairs of the EVOKE Ruby speakers.  Of course these are the smallest speakers Evoke makes, so I was not expecting too much.  What a nice surprise I had when they arrived.

First, just to see how good they were, I actually placed them on stands and disconnected my RM40.  To me, the RM40 is the best speaker money can buy.  It does it all, and has my favorite things like detail, and all the soundstage qualities.  Well let me just say my mind was blown.  After adjusting the bass filter up to 60-70Hz, I was amazed at how this little speaker set up a soundstage, and had even better imaging, than the RM40.  Now of course, the size of the speaker had its limits and it did not have the overall room filling fullness of the RM40.  Some of this might have been due to the sheer size difference and not having time to play with the cross-over point to the VMPS Larger subs.

Make no mistake about it though, this speaker can play quite loud, without complaint, and the details and imaging it gives is better than the RM40.  I am a very happy camper.  My only dilemma now is feeling like I am wasting the talent of the Ruby if I move it to the Atmos role.  So for the last few months the Ruby has been replacing the RM40 in my home theater system, and I use one of the second pair as a center replacing my VMPS LRC.

So, while I am not as good at describing things, I can highly recommend these for any and all VMPS fans, as well as anyone, who wants clear highs, detail, and rich mids, as well as unreal imaging.

Regards,
Shaukat

Stimpy

Re: The RUBYs are..... Outstanding
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2017, 06:12 pm »
Hi Shaukat,

I'm happy to hear the Ruby's are living up to expectations.  They look like great speakers, regardless of size.  Plus, it's nice to have a new line of speakers for VMPS owners to upgrade to, with the Evoke line.  They should make for awesome Dolby Atmos effects speakers.

And speaking of Atmos, how did you like the Yamaha CX-A5100, as a step up processor?  I ask, because I use a Yamaha RX-A3030 A/V receiver, for surround.  It's very similar in design to your 5100.  But, my 3030 lacks Atmos.  That's not a big deal to me, as I needed the 3030 more for it's legacy video connections, so I could still watch the occasional movie on laser disk, along with Blu-ray.

Enjoy the Ruby's,

Stimpy

shauk786

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2017, 03:16 am »
Stimpy,

I am really enjoying the Yamaha CX-A5100 not only as a surround processor but in two channel mode as well. It is very versatile with the ESS DAC 9016S on ALL channels. I upgraded from a Yamaha RX-Z9 which I had since 2003. I do not have much experience with other processors, but I can say that my sound system is phenomenal. I am sort of fortunate to have a dedicated home theater room which is acoustically treated at corners and first reflection points.The main reason I went with the Yamaha is that it has XLR out for all channels including subwoofers. Basically this week-end I completed my setup to a 7:2:4 configuration. From the Yamaha, I have XLRs going to a pair of Nuprime MCH-K38 out of which I am using 7 in bridge mode to power my front Left and Right VMPS RM40s, VMPS LRC Center, a pair of VMPS Dipole side surrounds and a pair of VMPS 626R back surrounds. The two pairs of EVOKE RUBYs are the front and back left and right height speakers in the atmos setup, also powered via XLR by 4 NUFORCE REf9 V3Se monoblocks. I have two VMPS Larger Subs, one in front and one in back in a push pull configuration, one powered by a Dayton 1000W sub amp and the other by a crown XLS1500 bridged. I guess this combination is contributing to the wonderful sound I am getting.  :D :D. For movies, I have a JVC 4K projector projecting on a 120 inch Elite screen.

For critical listening which I do from time to time, I use ROON, Microrendu powered by the ultra cap, Nuprime DAC10H. The only drawback i have at this time is that i need to disconnect the output XLRs from the Yamaha for the Left and right channels to connect directly to the DAC10H.

I would definitely recommend the CX-A5100 based on my experience with it.

Regards,
Shaukat

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2017, 11:52 pm »
Stimpy,

I am really enjoying the Yamaha CX-A5100 not only as a surround processor but in two channel mode as well. It is very versatile with the ESS DAC 9016S on ALL channels. I upgraded from a Yamaha RX-Z9 which I had since 2003. I do not have much experience with other processors, but I can say that my sound system is phenomenal. I am sort of fortunate to have a dedicated home theater room which is acoustically treated at corners and first reflection points.The main reason I went with the Yamaha is that it has XLR out for all channels including subwoofers. Basically this week-end I completed my setup to a 7:2:4 configuration. From the Yamaha, I have XLRs going to a pair of Nuprime MCH-K38 out of which I am using 7 in bridge mode to power my front Left and Right VMPS RM40s, VMPS LRC Center, a pair of VMPS Dipole side surrounds and a pair of VMPS 626R back surrounds. The two pairs of EVOKE RUBYs are the front and back left and right height speakers in the atmos setup, also powered via XLR by 4 NUFORCE REf9 V3Se monoblocks. I have two VMPS Larger Subs, one in front and one in back in a push pull configuration, one powered by a Dayton 1000W sub amp and the other by a crown XLS1500 bridged. I guess this combination is contributing to the wonderful sound I am getting.  :D :D . For movies, I have a JVC 4K projector projecting on a 120 inch Elite screen.

For critical listening which I do from time to time, I use ROON, Microrendu powered by the ultra cap, Nuprime DAC10H. The only drawback i have at this time is that i need to disconnect the output XLRs from the Yamaha for the Left and right channels to connect directly to the DAC10H.

I would definitely recommend the CX-A5100 based on my experience with it.

Regards,
Shaukat

As an update, John Casler is testing the new Alex prototypes (tower) with Eddie as a center and Ruby for surrounds. His initial response is pretty good. Ruby recently was the center of attention at a listening party in Canada. I'm still waiting for the feedback. The shipping to them has been faster than their comments back LOL.