Cambridge Audio Azur 550C

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
Cambridge Audio Azur 550C
« on: 6 May 2010, 08:21 pm »

Based on my experience with digital sourcess I must say the new 550C is an amazing offering, especially given its price point.

The first thing you notice when unpacking is the build quality...
Externally it is simple yet solid with a thick faceplate and wrap-around case providing structural rigidity exuding a sense of "quality". 
Looking at the internals, the layout is clean and actually not much free space is available when compared to the likes of entry level MF, Sim, etc... offerings (which still cost twice as much $$$), I don't know that that necessarily translates to being "better" but it gives one the impression you're getting something for your money.
The custom transport and servo are impressive especially when compared against other manufacturers who utilize cheaper designs (again, at prices often two to three times more $$$)

Sonically, what first impressed was the balance of clarity, PRaT and tonal neutrality...
From my years of experience, the majority of players utilizing "cookbook" opamp analog output stages either sound clear with no overtly intrusive sonic "veiling" ...but often lack PRaT (such as the Arcam FMJ CD23 which I lived with for many years) OR they have decent PRaT but lack clarity (aka the short-lived NAD M5). Futhermore, I found the tonal balance of the M5 was geared toward the bass region, perhaps in attempt to enhance listening involvement?
Imo, when compared against the above mentioned players the 550C provides the best balance of PRaT and clarity, all while maintaining evenhanded tonal neutrality.

While the 550C it is a little down on PRaT when compared to the Bryston BDA-1 DAC (running with upsampling disengaged) the differences are not so apparent when the BDA is upsampling as it trades organic "punch" for a smoothed "airy" sonic signature.
The 550Cs clarity (lack of veiling) and tonal neutrality are at least on par with the Bryston to my ears...regardless of posted specs. Additionally, while the Bryston throws a slighty bigger soundstage (especially regarding width) the 550C does an admirable job recreating a holographic presence, bettering both the older CD23/M5 units.

If you're looking for a new CDP and don't want to get fleeced I recommend you give the 550C a listen before you spend more $$$.

I think it would be very interesting to have a blind listening shoot-out between the $549 550C, the $2999 Bryston BCD-1 and Ayre's $3700 CX-7eMP...
single ended outputs with matched levels...

Bet you won't see that in Stereophile anytime soon! :lol: