Benchmark DAC-1

Sa-dono

Re: modwright p3a dac
« Reply #60 on: 25 Nov 2004, 10:12 pm »
Quote from: Mad DOg
Hi Rod,

Cleaning your ears out won't help.  A listen to the Dodson 218 will tho! It's really an issue of not missing what you haven't heard. So if you can't afford one, don't listen to it cuz once you have, you'll go crazy trying to get that sound! :lol:

I was perfectly happy w/ my MW level 2 modded front end which I never thought sounded digital until the last fateful listening session...Now I have a tough time listening to it.

MD is right. You really just have to hear the differences through a direct comparison.

Thru my Aragon, the differences btwn the Dodson 263 DAC and MWII P-3/A DAC powered by the Monolithic PS (removed P-1/a due to the reduction of 6dB which doesn't mate well w/ the passive EVS attenuators).....

Have you tried switching the Rowland to the higher gain setting? Depending on how loud your normal listening is with the Dodson in your setup (aka you have room to lower the volume, when increasing the gain), you may be able to handle both setups (with the P-1A in the setup). I know the lower setting is "standard" on the Rowland, but your seller may have switched it already.

Rocket

dac comparisons
« Reply #61 on: 25 Nov 2004, 10:18 pm »
Hi Mad Dog,

Thanks a lot for your input.  I could never afford a dodson dac as it would cost twice as much as what it does in the states (btw how much do they cost).  Who knows how transparent my system is but the preamp is a highly modded n.e.w. p3 preamp which i've been told is quite good and certainly sounds good to me.  I currently use an aksa 100 nirvana plus amplifier but i am looking at purchasing a closeout sale of the pass labs aleph 30 as i have heard the aleph 3 in my system and it really sang.  My speakers are custom made using 7 inch focals x 2 in an mtm setup with raven 1 ribbon tweeters.

When i remove the p1a from my system it sounds less analogue to my ears.

Btw how much does the dodson cost?

Regards

Rod

Rocket

dac upgrades
« Reply #62 on: 25 Nov 2004, 10:25 pm »
Hi Sa-dona,

Sounds like i definitely don't want to hear the dodson then.  I've spent way too much money on my system already.

Regards

Rod

Sa-dono

Re: dac comparisons
« Reply #63 on: 25 Nov 2004, 10:28 pm »
Quote from: Rocket
Btw how much does the dodson cost?

Take a look at http://www.dodsonaudio.com.

The DA-218 is $7995 (plus $300 for AES/EBU input). The DA-263 is $2795 (plus $300 for AES/EBU input, $345 for balanced outputs). (All prices in US $'s.)

Rocket

cd/dacs
« Reply #64 on: 25 Nov 2004, 10:30 pm »
Hi,

If i had my time over again as stated previously i would purchase a fully modded all in one cdp/sacd/dvd a player from one of the modders here at audiocircle.

Sa-dono,  the dodson 263 would cost at least $6000au to buy that in oz.  

regards

Rod