SMSL SA-50 amp/pre-amp

charmerci

SMSL SA-50 amp/pre-amp
« on: 2 Oct 2019, 05:22 am »
 :o   For under $65, this sounds pretty damm amazing. Highly recommended for the sound.
The main problem with this very small unit is you can't really use thick speaker wire - banana plugs suggested because the inputs and outputs are practically on top of each other.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: SMSL SA-50 amp/pre-amp
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2019, 05:56 am »
Do you could test this amp w/headphones and inform us?
You will need an plug adapter.

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2019, 12:07 pm »
Do you could test this amp w/headphones and inform us?
You will need an plug adapter.

They have an equivalent headphone amp. I'm not much into headphones.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2019, 07:37 pm »
They are very little powerful mW range, cant drive a HD800 properly, maybe the 50W loudspeaker amp have better luck:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1G6J8I6H3BJRD/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07459L24B

Archguy

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2019, 06:09 am »
What's the chip running it?  Thought it was the TPA3250 (which I really like) but I see it's something different from what I have.  I wish they'd change the form factor on these, for the very reason you mention: crowding of connections.  Heck, they could put the controls & connections on the long sides if they wanted to.

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2019, 05:02 pm »
What's the chip running it?  Thought it was the TPA3250 (which I really like) but I see it's something different from what I have.  I wish they'd change the form factor on these, for the very reason you mention: crowding of connections.  Heck, they could put the controls & connections on the long sides if they wanted to.

STM TDA7492 chipset.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/smsl-sa-50-t-amp.22549/reviews

DZetye

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2019, 07:22 pm »
if its a tripath amp and you try to use it as a standard headphone amp by connecting the grounds together from the right and left channels you quite possibly will fry your tripath amp chip