I'm no Jim Salk, but.....

mixsterdude

I'm no Jim Salk, but.....
« on: 8 Oct 2017, 02:43 am »
I stepped out and tried to make my own media cabinet to go with my new Song 3Es.  I don't think Jim will be hiring me anytime soon but I'm pretty happy overall with the way it turned out.  My wife wanted something more mid century modern looking.  She has hogged up more space than me with her decorator touch but she's been pretty flexible with rearranging stuff in the room for the new speakers so I'll let it slide.  I know, I have a pretty pitiful album collection right now.  I'm still pissed at myself for selling all of my vinyl when I was in college....very short sighted of me.   :duh:

Delta77

Re: I'm no Jim Salk, but.....
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2017, 03:04 am »
Nice Cabinet , I like the symmetry..
What’s the Shipping to California ??

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2017, 03:53 am »
Great job!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2017, 06:58 am »
You're handier with tools than I am! I wish I had the talent (but I know I don't).  :(

I really like the color in the close up photo.

Michael

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2017, 05:09 pm »
Which Peachtree unit is that? How do you like it with the Song3's? Had you used it with any other speakers? Looks beautiful!

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2017, 05:17 pm »
That is one nice lookin' piece of furniture.  Good job, sir!

Funny guy!  :rotflmao:

Grbluen

« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2017, 11:16 pm »
Beautiful job!

mixsterdude

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2017, 12:39 am »
Thank you for the compliments guys!!  The assembly was pretty easy but milling the rough 4/4 walnut was a bit time consuming.  Hopefully the process would go a little smoother/faster for my next build.

Which Peachtree unit is that? How do you like it with the Song3's? Had you used it with any other speakers? Looks beautiful!

Good eye!  I have the Nova 150.  I bought it back in the spring.  I'm very happy with the way it pairs with the Song3s.  The only other speakers that I've heard the amp with was the Revel F208s during an audition.  I took my amp to see how well they paired.  I thought they sounded great together as well.  The guy at the showroom seemed to be impressed with them.  All of their electronics were substantially more expensive than the Peachtree.

LOL!!  I told my wife that if I was to build a cabinet to sell, I'd have to charge $10K for it for the amount of time it took me.  :)

JDoyle

« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2017, 02:24 pm »
You should be proud... Very nice!
I hope you have felt pads under the coral, I hate to see that finish get a scratch.  :|

mixsterdude

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2017, 05:54 pm »
You should be proud... Very nice!
I hope you have felt pads under the coral, I hate to see that finish get a scratch.  :|

Thank you, sir.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't CRINGE when I saw that she had put that coral on there.

Grbluen

« Reply #10 on: 11 Oct 2017, 10:59 am »
Thank you, sir.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't CRINGE when I saw that she had put that coral on there.
SWMBO at its best!

mixsterdude

« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2017, 10:09 pm »
SWMBO at its best!

Funny and true!!  I've heard that saying but have never seen its acronym   :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2017, 01:38 am »
All just part of the free AudioCircle Education Program!

TWINSKI66

« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2017, 12:19 am »
Wow...beautiful DIY work Mixsterdude!  I just completed a cart for my turntable.  I have high regard for folks that build furniture.  You’d think my project was easy (not!).  Oh well...completed it to my liking.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #14 on: 13 Oct 2017, 12:22 am »
Wow...beautiful DIY work Mixsterdude!  I just completed a cart for my turntable.  I have high regard for folks that build furniture.  You’d think my project was easy (not!).  Oh well...completed it to my liking.

Very nice!!! :thumb:

mixsterdude

« Reply #15 on: 14 Oct 2017, 01:17 am »
All just part of the free AudioCircle Education Program!

I'm learning something new and IMPORTANT everyday here  :)

mixsterdude

« Reply #16 on: 14 Oct 2017, 01:19 am »

I love that turntable cart, Twinski!!  The wood is beautiful.  What turntable is that?  I'm in the market for a turntable.

JakeJ

« Reply #17 on: 14 Oct 2017, 03:26 am »
Looks like a sweet old Thorens.  And I agree with others that cart is really nice.  Bottom line is you are happy with it and that's what counts.

TWINSKI66

« Reply #18 on: 15 Oct 2017, 03:50 am »
Yes...it’s a Thorens. Model TD 124 MKII (restored unit purchased from Greg Metz @ STS Turntables).  He’s passionate about bringing vintage turntables back to life.

Grbluen

« Reply #19 on: 20 Oct 2017, 10:17 pm »
Bump.