DEQX five years on

versus rider

DEQX five years on
« on: 26 Aug 2011, 11:48 am »
As the DEQX thread I have read fizzled out in 2006 does anyone still use it? I am muddling through using the PDC 2.6 with horns and OB's but still occasionally lose my settings. I know I am only scratching the surface with my limited knowledge but hope in time, when I get time that is, I will understand it more.

JDUBS

Re: DEQX five years on
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2011, 12:51 am »
I used a DEQX and have moved on....lots of other options these days.  Pure Music and miniDSP are two of the primary ones.

-Jim

YoungDave

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2011, 01:23 am »
I still use DEQX and have no plans to replace it.  It does exactly what I want.

Daverz

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2011, 02:26 am »
I have an NHT Xd system -- 2 satellite speakers, a subwoofer, and a digital crossover/amp done by DEQX -- and thought of replacing the processor with a newer DEQX one (I'd have to get a second amp, unless I can use 2 different amps for this.)  Has anyone done anything like this?  The speakers themselves have no crossovers, so would be ideal for this purpose.

versus rider

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2011, 08:54 am »
I have an NHT Xd system -- 2 satellite speakers, a subwoofer, and a digital crossover/amp done by DEQX -- and thought of replacing the processor with a newer DEQX one (I'd have to get a second amp, unless I can use 2 different amps for this.)  Has anyone done anything like this?  The speakers themselves have no crossovers, so would be ideal for this purpose.
replacing the processor could be a mistake as I assume the processor is set up better than us mere mortals could manage. The only problem with the DEQX is knowing enough to get the best out of it. I have found my playback sounds better by using it but just using different crossover points makes a world of difference and not always for the better. That set up looks ideal for anyone who actually wants to listen to music and not fanny about with it. :)

Nyal Mellor

• Industry Participant
  • Founder - Acoustic Frontiers.
    • Acoustic Frontiers
« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2011, 02:22 am »

One of my customers has the same NHT system...I got DEQX to provide the configuration file for load into the new processor. So the answer is yes!

GAT474

« Reply #6 on: 4 Sep 2011, 10:54 am »
First time poster on Audio Circle.

I've recently gone over to a DEQX based system.  I've had lots of different gear over my 20 year journey.  My current system consists of a pair of Legend Big Reds which are an Australian three way louspeaker system with a pair of active subs, a Primare 5ch power amp, Rega P25, CEC CDT and an SB3.
When I first got the Legends they had a passive crossover and were powered by a Primare integrated. The long term plan was to go fully active with the Legends which were originally designed to be used with the DEQX anyway.  Around six months ago I took the plunge and sold off most of my passive kit and bought the DEQX.  Luckily for me the DEQX is priced in US dollars and at the time the Aus dollar was around $1.10 US.  Previously the DEQX was going to cost me around Aus $6,000 but in the end it cost me $3,500 which made it worth the bet.
Anyway, the DEQX came along and with it a steep learning curve.  As I stated the Legend speakers were designed with the DEQX in mind so all of the work had been done and it was just a matter of loading up the parameters provided by the manufacturer and just doing a room measurement.  Easy enough.  I didn't play with it as I just couldn't work out the finer details of how it all worked and didn't want ot stuff it up.   As it was, without much in the way of fiddling, it was a big improvement over the passive confguration.
A few weeks ago I bought another pair of floor stander speakers which were too good to refuse.  Similar drivers to my Legends but didn't sound as good.   They use the Scan Speak 8545 bass driver (x2) and a focal TC12p tweeter.  Over the past couple of weeks I've been playing with the DEQX and a cheap Behringer Mic and have come up with a set of crossover points which although are very early in the learning process seem to work pretty well.
The current result is that I'm more than pleased with the result and found that once I forced myself to use the DEQX and ignored the insturction manual it really wasn't all that hard.
I know that I have a long way toi go but so far it's been alot of fun and I'm getting terrific results.

versus rider

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2011, 01:57 pm »
I've had mine about two years now and still have only scratched the surface of what it does. Just this week I modded my open baffles to take a larger tractrix horn, a 200Hz to replace the 400Hz horn I have been running for about the same time as the DEQX. The 200Hz horn crosses with the 15" woofer at 350Hz and without even measuring the drivers I have set the crossover points and it sounds good. I just need to some spare time to measure the drivers, set up three different crossover profiles and different filters to try on the fly.