Classic Audeze LCD-2's are back!

zoom25

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Classic Audeze LCD-2's are back!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2017, 01:22 am »
Price not bad if the sound stage are really huge.
Impedance only 20 ohms!
The driver enclosure is no more real wood?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2017, 02:07 am »
Just see it dont came w/the usual pro travel case ((
Which they sell for excess at 125 USD or you can buy the same SKB case without the AUDEZE logo for just $45 USD here:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/538311-REG/SKB_3I_0907_6B_E_3I_0907_6_E_Small_Mil_Std_Waterproof.html

zoom25

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2017, 06:37 pm »
Thanks for the link on the headphone case. Yeah, I think they have ditched the wood for these.

I'm curious why they are using the old square connector outlets in the rings, rather than the triangle ones that are used in the rest. My initial LCD-2 had cracked wood rings near that spot. After repair, they switched to the triangle connectors. So not sure why they brought that back. Perhaps, it doesn't matter if the ring is metal.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2017, 06:44 pm »
In this Classic model the driver case is cast magnesium that will last forever, just isnt benefit resonant as real wood, I suppose its more neutral than wood.

milford3

« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2017, 11:30 pm »
The LCD2's are the best sounding headphone in my collection. I have the bamboo.  Anyone lurking for a headphone (not cheap though) should look at the Audeze.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2017, 12:01 am »
I'm curious why they are using the old square connector outlets in the rings, rather than the triangle ones that are used in the rest.
The Classic outlet already part from the driver case, its 1 part less to buy and mount. I just dont liked the outlet is angled, it dont allow store the HP upright w/the cable connected.

zoom25

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2017, 04:57 am »
For anyone new to the hobby that hasn't heard a LCD-2.2 pre-fazor, this is a must consider regardless of price bracket.

If you want to listen and just get lost in the music for hours, this is it. (Having owned and lived with HE-500, LCD-2.2, LCD-3, and HD 800 currently.)

I see a lot of people that have owned lot of TOTL headphones and then have either added HD 650 or sold them all to get the HD 650. It's loved for a reason. I haven't heard the HD 650 personally to confirm this. However, I also see the LCD-2.2 being described in the same regard by people who have been doing this for some time.

Tonality and voicing trumps everything and can go a long way in making up for shortcomings. IMO, if it doesn't sound right, the technical merits of a headphone or even a speaker becomes useless. It doesn't matter how well something images, or how large the soundstage is, or how deep the bass extends or how hard it slams. All of it goes down the drain. Sure, EQ can help fix things, but in headphones, I've noticed certain tendencies of headphones to not go away even if you calibrate them properly. It's best to start with a headphone that sounds great off the bat and fix minor problems rather than major ones, especially if they stem from mechanical reasons (eg. HD 800).

(Also, I noticed they aren't selling headphones with both balanced and unbalanced cables like they would in the past. The balanced cable price seems to have increased to $150. I don't remember what it was previously, but it was definitely lower. Maybe around $100?)

zoom25

« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2017, 04:20 pm »
Available to order directly from Audeze: https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd2-classic

Holiday pricing is $599 and then it will rise to its MRSP of $799.

I ordered one. Will post something when I get it.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2017, 04:32 pm »
I dont believe! They will up the price to $799 even after it adv at $599 :duh:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 21 Nov 2017, 06:22 pm »
Has anyone compared them to the HiFiMan HE500's?  Still love them, but time goes on with transducer technology.

zoom25

« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2017, 07:24 pm »
Has anyone compared them to the HiFiMan HE500's?  Still love them, but time goes on with transducer technology.

I had both HE-500 (w/ velour and pleather earpads) and LCD-2.2 pre-fazor at the same time. Then later, the LCD-3. Powered all 3 with speaker amplifiers directly. They responded quite well.

Both the LCD-2.2 and HE-500 are excellent as standalone units. They do sound different and do a number of things differently. For me, HE-500 was amazing right out of the box and that never changed. LCD-2 took me a bit of time to get used to and also some decent amplification to get going. In the end, I whole heartedly preferred the LCD-2, even if in some categories the HE-500 might be the winner (to some people).

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 21 Nov 2017, 08:38 pm »
Thanks!

Something to ponder for the future.

zoom25

« Reply #13 on: 20 Dec 2017, 08:42 pm »
Got these in today and DO they deliver!

zoom25

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 20 Dec 2017, 11:17 pm »
Nice, they send you two cables?

zoom25

JohnR

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jan 2018, 06:28 am »
Long thread to follow... How are they working out for you at this point?

zoom25

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jan 2018, 05:17 pm »
They've been decent. Holding up in testing.

zoom25

« Reply #19 on: 25 Jan 2018, 08:58 pm »
Roon/Reveal now has a dedicated LCD-2C preset. I like Audeze's taste better than Sonarworks.

I find the comfort has improved over time as the earpads have settled in. No more vacuum effect with the pads. Softer as well.

I stopped using my other headphones at my desk. I only use the closed KRK KNS 8400 when away from the rig. Not missing the HD 800 one bit. It's nice being able to listen for hours without fatigued ears.