Is AVA 350EX(R) sounding better than 550 EX(R) ?

simonleemd

« on: 14 Feb 2004, 09:50 am »
Hi, Has anybody compare the sonic characters of AVA 350 EX(R) with 550 EX(R) ? I have been under impression that bigger power amp is harder to build than the smaller power amp and that the smaller amp might sound even better than the bigger power amp;just wonder if this would apply to AVA amp ? Your opinion ,explaination and suggestions is highly appreciated and thanks in advance
Simon

warnerwh

« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2004, 05:26 pm »
You should ask Frank in the AVA circle for a definitive answer. I suspect they sound identical as they are designed identically. If you may need the power you should get it as not enough power will definitely be audible.

revelator

A few have assured me they sound same- Read link here
« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2004, 02:44 pm »
dfference in power is about 90 additional watts

Read  :lol: link here... I had the same questions

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=7220

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2004, 10:11 pm »
The Fet Valve 350EXR and 550EXR are essentially identical in design, layout, circuit, and musical performance.  The only difference is that the 550EXR requires a larger, higher voltage transformer, and some of the parts in the audio circuits have to be specified for higher power and higher voltage use.  We hear no differences at all in normal musical application, which, with an 87 dB speaker in a very dead room playing loud requires about 10 watts of power most of the time with rare peaks going up to 100 watts or a bit more.  The 350EXR is all you need for most rational loudspeakers, the 550EXR will even handle the irrational ones.

Frank Van Alstine