monster avs2000 dont do it!

tripwr1964

monster avs2000 dont do it!
« on: 17 May 2015, 03:49 pm »
after owning my khartago mono se+ for about 5mths i was about ready to call klaus for some biasing tips.
decided to pull out the stock PC's and plug directly into the wall.... WOW!  what a difference.
prior they've been plugged into my AVS2000 with homemade DH lab PC's.
i've been missing a TON of detail the last 5 mths.
just fyi - sure most already know not to do this...

Phil A

Re: monster avs2000 dont do it!
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2015, 04:53 pm »
Some power conditioners see the voltage output as a spike and clamp down and restrict dynamics.

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2015, 01:15 am »
Amps, especially big solid state amps, really don't need power conditioning. Their transformers and bank of filtering caps condition the power already. If you're concerned about protection, get a passive line protector that doesn't limit voltage. SurgeX makes a great product.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2015, 03:34 am by RDavidson »

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2015, 04:58 pm »
+1 for Surgex (or Brick Wall - same thing)

lazydays

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2015, 04:09 am »
make sure you plugged the amps into the correct position. There is a high current section on them. I use a Monster, and can hear little if any difference between the wall and the Monster.
gary

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2015, 04:21 am »
Try a pair of power cords that cost nearly as much as your Khartagos and you'll hear an even bigger improvement.  :o

tripwr1964

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2015, 11:30 am »
make sure you plugged the amps into the correct position. There is a high current section on them. I use a Monster, and can hear little if any difference between the wall and the Monster.
gary

gary i see a switched and unswitched... don't see a high current outlet.
i had them in the unswitched bank 1&2, and all my other components plugged into my furman which was plugged in to switched band 3&4.

lazydays

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2015, 09:06 pm »
gary i see a switched and unswitched... don't see a high current outlet.
i had them in the unswitched bank 1&2, and all my other components plugged into my furman which was plugged in to switched band 3&4.

I once had mine plugged into the wall. Never again! We get a lot of lightening strikes here. Lightening can travel via the ground wire, and even cable TV.
gary

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2015, 09:57 am »
Well, Gary had some bad luck, yes...however,  as I have been preaching for years:  unless you are willing to pony up much more $ than what you pay for the amps for some specific AC units,  go straight into the wall !!!!!!

While the amps are very well protected, shit still happens...so, if you're in a particularly iffy area weather wise, than you might want to play this one out according to your concerns...other than that, with such high current and fast designs such as ours, the wall is the way to go.....

tripwr1964

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2015, 11:19 am »
Well, Gary had some bad luck, yes...however,  as I have been preaching for years:  unless you are willing to pony up much more $ than what you pay for the amps for some specific AC units,  go straight into the wall !!!!!!

While the amps are very well protected, shit still happens...so, if you're in a particularly iffy area weather wise, than you might want to play this one out according to your concerns...other than that, with such high current and fast designs such as ours, the wall is the way to go.....

Klaus, thank you for the input!  Tim

lazydays

« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2015, 08:42 pm »

I must live in a strike zone! It's hit the same DSL box on the wall out back four or five times, but never got past the other Monster I have. The one with my audio system is much larger, and it's been knocked out twice! I now think it's time to consider a whole house system to further be ahead of the lightening.

gary

JackD

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2015, 11:34 pm »
To the OP, keep the amps straight to the wall as Klaus suggests and use one of these in an empty outlet on the same circuit.  Much cheaper to replace than when the MOV is inside the power bar. I buy them buy them by the three pack so as to have spares.

http://www.bluecircle.com/page95.html

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2015, 11:39 pm »
I use a Shunyata Hydra 2 power conditioner which is a passive design and does not limit dynamics or current for my Stratos amp.  I also use Shunyata Copperhead power cords.

JackD

« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2015, 01:09 am »
Bob

The Hydra's don't have any kind of surge protection do they?  If not you might want to look into the little device I linked earlier.  You can plug it into an empty outlet on the Hydra or any other outlet on the same breaker.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2015, 02:33 am »
PI Audio UberBuss....

Just saying....

tripwr1964

« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2015, 09:12 pm »
definitely like the amps pulled directly into to the wall better.  however, this change lead to an overly bright top end.  changed all my tube to no avail.  replaced the stock PC's with my diy DH silver sonic PC's and all good again!  i've never heard this much change in a pwr cord or ic before (i am talking very noticeable change for better).  synergy synergy synergy! 
this hobby will drive you nuts huh.

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jun 2015, 12:57 am »

this hobby will drive you nuts huh.

And what's wrong with that! :green: