PURE AUDIO BLU RAY

TAULISA

PURE AUDIO BLU RAY
« on: 14 May 2015, 09:09 am »
Yes, re-discover your preferential compact discs by replacing them with this outstanding Pure Audio Blu Ray format !

TAULISA

Re: PURE AUDIO BLU RAY
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2015, 09:39 am »
Yes, re-discover your preferential compact discs by replacing them with this outstanding Pure Audio Blu Ray format !

http://www.pureaudio-bluray.com/

GentleBender

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2015, 12:39 pm »
Having launched in 2013 I wonder what the traction is for this format. I hadn't heard of it until you posted this.  :scratch:

cementhead

« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2015, 09:41 pm »
just saw Rush farewell to kings released in this format. was wondering about the difference in quality

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2015, 11:27 pm »
I pulled the following from their website as this is the first I have heard of the format.  And I did a quick check of Amazon and about 500 titles are suppose to be in this format.

high resolution sound (up to 192 kHz/24Bit) in surround and stereo

In addition to unparalleled audio quality and maximum ease of use Pure Audio Blu-rays can be equipped with “mShuttle” technology: if your Blu-ray player is connected to your home network, you can use the browser application on your computer to access portable copies of the songs residing on the Pure Audio Blu-ray disc in your player.

mShuttle opens the possibility to enjoy music content from a Blu-ray disc in any format. Perfect listening experience of Pure Audio Blu-ray in studio quality at home, MP3 on the road on your iPod/MP3 player, or CD quality in the car. mShuttle provides the perfect format for always and everywhere.

steve f

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2015, 03:22 am »
I've just started fooling around with Bluray audio. The music is very dynamic. So far it's impressive. Forget about your SET amps though. You need efficient speakers and some SS muscle to experience this. So far, I'm impressed.

steve

aldcoll

« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2015, 05:14 am »
While I don't own a Blue Ray Player ( the Beta Max still works) I am thinking it's not the easiest to Rip or am I mistaken :scratch: :scratch:

And having a hard copy is my preference I would still like it on my HD for ease of playing. 

And Steve could you expand on the need for muscle to play back?   Are they just not as dynamic?

steve f

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2015, 05:57 am »
@aldcoll,

My experience with Bluray is minimal. I've only been at it for a few days.

There is a handshake HDMI protocol which allows high resolution output. It won't work from a coaxial or optical feed. If you try to rip a copy, it will be of lower resolution. That's all I know at this time. You have to own a disc.

The reason I mentioned big amps is due to its huge dynamic range. My two small tube amps clipped more noticibly. I found that the increased clarity and dynamics encouraged me to crank it up more. The differences between low volume sounds and high volume sounds is significantly increased. My current speakers are about 95Db @ 1W1M. I don't own a large tube amp. When I plugged in a big SS amp, the dynamics were reproducible without clipping.

So far, I find Bluray audio remarkable. I think it's closer to the sound the artist hears in the control room mix down more so than other formats. I haven't had the time to compare formats, but this is my early findings.

steve

GentleBender

« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2015, 11:40 am »
There is a handshake HDMI protocol which allows high resolution output. It won't work from a coaxial or optical feed. If you try to rip a copy, it will be of lower resolution. That's all I know at this time. You have to own a disc.
Well that alone kills it for me, at least until someone finds a way around the problem. Hmmm, I may have to research. :D

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2015, 01:15 pm »

This is not quite accurate.  Ripping the audio creates a data file.  That data file can then be output by whatever means you like.  If that output system supports high resolution audio of the data file type you create in the rip, you're good.  These are two separate processes (ripping and output).

I did a quick google search and found that these kind of discs need to be ripped (and then the audio extracted separately) as if they were movie discs instead of like CDs.  This adds a few steps to the process, but it has been done, with the usual cautions involving the grey area of laws regarding fair use and such.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2015, 05:38 pm »
See Computer Audiophile for a guide to ripping Bluray audio.  You can extract the hi res PCM from the disc.  Just search Bluray ripping at the site "Bluray-Ray The Easy Way."
Mark

steve f

« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2015, 08:30 pm »
Like I said, my experience with Bluray audio is minimal. I suppose ripping anything is possible if you aren't bothered by possible questionable legality.

All I can say is that it sounds "Wow!" I like it.

Steve

aldcoll

« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2015, 01:16 am »
Like I said, my experience with Bluray audio is minimal. I suppose ripping anything is possible if you aren't bothered by possible questionable legality.

All I can say is that it sounds "Wow!" I like it.

Steve

Have you done a test of a track that is on Blue Ray and Download some where?   I would guess they should be the same and the difference is how you receive the purchased music file :thumb:

Having the different format's of MP3 and "CD" on the Blue Ray would appear to be a marketing tool.   I would guess it will also be the good o'le chase much the same as a Vinal record of who pressed or up sampled the original. 

steve f

« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2015, 03:13 am »
Aldcoll, I'm sorry I don't understand what you're asking me.

Steve

aldcoll

« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2015, 03:36 am »
Is there a difference of a album that is blue ray or down loaded from let's say HD tracks?   

Some times there is a sonic difference when the music is remastered/mastered and up sampled etc.   

Where does the blue ray stand??   Is it the album the same sonically but just on a blue disk?

What reason is there to buy blue ray, is it sonic or is it marketing scheme?

What information is there on the case about mastering and tech liner notes?

steve f

« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2015, 04:40 am »
I don't purchase download tracks. I try to avoid duplication of product. (The only time I compared media ever were CD and vinyl.)

Agreed.

The music I've listened to on Bluray has been more dynamic, well defined in space, and great tone.

All formats are designed to separate you from your wallet. I consider it to be an improvement.

Some have extensive information on screen.

An interesting paper about digital formats.

http://sanderssoundsystems.com/technical-white-papers/265-digital-recording-white-paper

steve f

« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2015, 01:26 pm »
I ask that this entire topic be moved to somewhere like the Hi Res Music Circle or another Digital format one. The thread has value, but really doesn't belong here.

None of this has anything to do with Odyssey. This is unfair to a guy, Klaus, who is trying to promote his products, and discuss their use.

Steve

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2015, 01:37 pm »
I have not tried any Audio only Blu-Rays.  I do have one Blu-Ray with hi-rez PCM from AIX Records which sounds great (has hi-def video too).  I usually look at sites like - http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=queen&album=a+night+at+the+opera

I do have the ripped DVD-A of the above which also has info on the Blu-Ray and SHM-SACD.  I do sometimes make a purchase if it is hi-rez and new and I don't have a hi-rez version (or any version) of the music.  By the time it makes it way onto Blu-Ray Audio, at least to me, it seems like there have been other releases or downloads.  I guess I'll have to look more carefully as I didn't realize they have started to release more titles.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 17 May 2015, 03:29 pm »
I've got a few Pure Audio Blu Ray's and they are quite similar in quality to SACD's.  The SACD's are a little bit more laid back and have a bit deeper of a sound stage, but other than that they are very close in overall quality.  I still like SACD's best (especially ripped to pure DSD files), but it looks like Blu Ray's are going to be the wave of the future.  Which makes sense - way more people have blu ray players than have SACD players, so using blu ray discs really opens up your potential market.

TAULISA

« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2015, 02:22 pm »
I ask that this entire topic be moved to somewhere like the Hi Res Music Circle or another Digital format one. The thread has value, but really doesn't belong here.

None of this has anything to do with Odyssey. This is unfair to a guy, Klaus, who is trying to promote his products, and discuss their use.

Steve

Do not entirely agree !
In this context this topic is to be considered somehow a tweak aimed at bettering Odyssey Audio's power amplifiers performance !