Amber 3 Question

Hear Clifford Brown

Amber 3 Question
« on: 29 Sep 2020, 12:53 pm »
I'm thinking about the Amber 3 and currently don't have a preamp, so I'm wondering about the optional volume control, what type is it?  Also see that an "analog preamp of very high quality is also optional".  What is the difference between these two options? 

halo777

Re: Amber 3 Question
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2020, 04:47 am »
Not sure what volume control they are utilizing, but I can provide my experience with getting the volume control on my Amber 3.

I almost bought a used Lampizator prior to the Amber, that had no VC...and I am so happy that I didnt end up getting that one.  The overall sound quality of the Amber with the built in VC is stunning.  To run a separate high quality preamp, that would offer the same SQ you would have to spend a lot of money (thousands $$$, I am sure.)  Way more than adding the VC to the Amber costs.

On top of that, you dont have to buy another expensive power cable and interconnects.  On my Amber, the interconnects coming from my streamer and the power cable supplying the Amber are another few grand.  To replicate that same setup on a separate preamp would be costly.

I had a beautiful Conrad Johnson preamp, that I had purchased not long before the Amber.  Part of justifying the Amber purchase for me included selling off that CJ to raise funds.  I was sad to see it go at the time.
 But now that I have the Amber, I have absolutely no regrets.

Good luck!!!

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2020, 06:19 pm »
You can reach out to Fred and Rob directly, but I believe the preamp option is a set of RCA analogue inputs the dac can be switched to, to allow the volume pot to control 1 other (non digital) source, so maybe a phono stage, tape deck, etc. I have a friend with a Big 5 with volume and the extra input. It works very well.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2020, 09:20 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I did correspond with Rob back in late Sept. and he said the volume control is a 64 step ladder resistor passive control, and when this option is added, the DAC is remote controllable and also comes with one pair of RCA analog inputs.  This seems like a great option, and for a very reasonable price of around $500.

sruffle

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2020, 12:50 am »
I have long been intrigued about the idea of getting a Lampizator with volume control.    My issue is that I use  my preamp to power an amp for my main speaker drivers and a separate amp for my woofers.  Would it be possible to do that with a Lampi that has two sets of output jacks?

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2020, 02:46 am »
You'd want to talk to Fred/Rob about the Amber's output impedance.  My friend used his Big 5 in the manner you're thinking about.  He used "Y" jacks on the outputs and ran full range speakers and passive subs without loss of dynamics.  I was surprised, but it worked very well.  His Big 5 has a massive dual mono power supply though, I don't know if the Amber would do as well.

sruffle

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2020, 03:47 am »
You'd want to talk to Fred/Rob about the Amber's output impedance.  My friend used his Big 5 in the manner you're thinking about.  He used "Y" jacks on the outputs and ran full range speakers and passive subs without loss of dynamics.  I was surprised, but it worked very well.  His Big 5 has a massive dual mono power supply though, I don't know if the Amber would do as well.
Thanks for the suggestion.  I should probably get an answer straight from the source.