Ikea Kallox Shelf Unit for Record Storage

xsb7244

Ikea Kallox Shelf Unit for Record Storage
« on: 23 Aug 2021, 06:18 pm »
A deal for $179 and can hold more than 1000 records.

Craig B

Re: Ikea Kallox Shelf Unit for Record Storage
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2021, 06:33 pm »
Yes, I've cheerfully used the 3x4 Kallax unit for records (and books) for a couple of years. All it needs (IMO) is an extra piece of material at the back of each cubicle to stop the records from going all the way in to the wall behind it - that's a little too deep for me. It doesn't let enough overhead light illuminate the spines, and it makes LPs awkward to insert among their brethren. It would be a lot easier if they were somewhere from a half-inch to an inch from the front edge. Someone on the webs makes a product like that, but it's insanely expensive compared to what I can cut in my shop from baltic birch plywood scraps.

djbnh

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2021, 08:35 pm »
We use the Kallax's predecessor Expedit and simply cut / installed some back rails on each of the cubbies so our albums would uniformly / slightly hang over the front bottom edges for easy retrieval. Love Ikea hacks, here's the link to the results for an Ikeahackers query using just the word "records".

xsb7244

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2021, 10:41 pm »
Just to be clear, this has no back?  What kind of back should you buy?

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2021, 11:42 pm »

I just set up my albums after moving to Ohio.

pumpkinman

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2021, 11:45 pm »
Just to be clear, this has no back?  What kind of back should you buy?

What I did was buy 8’ lengths of 1x2 pine. Cut to length and paint them black. Screw one down in each cube to stop the albums at the spot where I wanted. No there is no back but you certainly could add one if you wanted.

pumpkinman

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2021, 11:46 pm »
We use the Kallax's predecessor Expedit and simply cut / installed some back rails on each of the cubbies so our albums would uniformly / slightly hang over the front bottom edges for easy retrieval. Love Ikea hacks, here's the link to the results for an Ikeahackers query using just the word "records".

What he said  :D

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2021, 11:02 am »
I have the older Expidit unit, best record storage out there for a reasonable price.  I just put mine up against the wall and keep a little flashlight on the shelf to find titles.  When I moved last year I changed from categories in alphabetical order to general categories with stuff I like toward the top shelves where it's easier to grab.