Apex Senior 47K mod for dual SW12A/SWPR

kroberts1972

« on: 13 Feb 2006, 05:16 pm »
I just orded the Apex SR. and the salesperson said that the 47K mod will make it go down to 18 HZ, which sounds great so I got it.  But now I am wondering what configuration that is for.  Is this mod meant for a 2 SW12A with 2 PR setup?

Thanks,
Kevin

samplesj

« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2006, 05:45 pm »
Sub amps often have a bass boost/limiting feature.  The cutoff lower frequency and the boosted frequency are selected by resistor values.  They've just set them for you.  The default on the Apex isn't really suitable for Danny's drivers (they go lower than the default will let them).  I think the Apex mods are just 1 resisitor, but the PE clone (same preamp board) needs two changed for both settings.  If you look back in my old posts about the SW12 I took them apart and matched the part numbers.

That mod is appropriate for 1, 2, or more of his drivers.  Basically they start needing more power to stay flat as you get really low.

kroberts1972

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2006, 06:09 pm »
Thanks Jeremy, it sounds like I made the right decision.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2006, 10:04 pm »
The standard bass boost for those amps gives you 6db bass boost at 30Hz. This is ideal for a lot of sealed box subs but ideal for our sub and PR combo.

As shown on the Apex site, the resistor can be changed to give you 2db bass boost in the 20 to 22Hz range. This works great with our subs and makes them only 1db down at 20Hz.

I believe that Steve (Apex Jr.) said he was having 20 units modified this way to make them ideal for our woofer, PR combo. He should have them in stock this way, just ask him for them.

kroberts1972

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2006, 12:22 am »
Thanks for the explanation Danny, I ordered one of the pre-modded units today.

swaggs21

• Industry Participant
  • Man of God
    • 33 Degrees East WoodWorking
« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2006, 11:47 pm »
I ordered one yesterday, I am hoping it will be here by Friday or Saturday.

I am putting the sub and rears together this weekend hopefully, I will be impressed if we get further than that.

ozdiver

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2006, 04:22 am »
Got mine in time for the weekend. Just finished the enclosure so now I just need to get the assembly finished on the rest of the speakers to test 'er out.