my idea for a new product

alpa6

my idea for a new product
« on: 26 Jul 2008, 03:09 am »
I own several 60's vintage tube amps and receivers.On all of them you can only use one input.Usually the tape out or aux.Never both.What i have to do is unplug at the back to switch sources.
I think a great idea for a diy product would be something that would allow guys like me to have a switch box that would allow me to run 3 or 4 inputs to one output.
I know i can get a cheap made in china unit that does this.I bet jim could do alot better though.It would allow us to pick good parts for it anyways unlike the cheap china stuff.

Theo

Re: my idea for a new product
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2008, 04:29 am »
You're talking about a line router.  It's very easy to build one yourself.  With good choice of parts,  it can be built to sound way better than many you can buy.  All you need is a case like the one you used for building the Piccolo, a DPDT 4 to 6 position rotary switch, 4 to 6 pairs of RCA jacks, and a length of high purity copper or silver wires.

I built mine using a Grayhill rotary switch (Digikey GH7102-ND); this one is identical to the one used in a stock Clarinet but has solder lugs for easy soldering.  Many wires used for interconnects will work well.  I bought my favorite bulk interconnect cable from Takefiveaudio.com and stripped them.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2008, 05:00 am »
The Mapletree line router would probably suit you. Scroll down the page. ~$160
http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

-Roy

alpa6

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2008, 03:21 pm »
Thx for the link.