Introduction: Silversmith Audio

A.G. Smith

• Industry Participant
    • Silversmith Audio
Introduction: Silversmith Audio
« on: 19 Apr 2020, 12:21 am »
Greetings.  Many years ago, I was very honored to be invited to attend and participate in a couple AudioCircle sponsored listening events and I'm thrilled to be back in the Circle once again.  My name is Jeffrey Smith and I am the owner of Silversmith Audio.

I like to describe Silversmith Audio as a hobby that got out of control and became a business.  The company and original SILVER line of cables were launched on January 1, 2000.  The following weekend, I was in Las Vegas for the Consumer Electronics Show and, thanks to introductions and recommendations by the late greats Ralph Dodson of Dodson Audio and Lars Fredell of Ultimate Audio, exhibiting with Lamm and Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams.  That month's issue of Ultimate Audio, with Lars' review of our Silver cables, debuted at the show as well.  It was a whirlwind start that still has me shaking my head in disbelief.  Thank you Ralph and Lars!  Rest in peace.

The PALLADIUM line of cables launched in 2002 but shortly thereafter I was recalled back to active duty with the Navy and deployed for OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM.  This became a reoccurring theme as I spent 10 of the next 18 years on active duty.  I retired from the Navy in October 2019 and finally had the time to complete the development of a new line of cables...

To commemorate its 20th anniversary in 2020, Silversmith Audio proudly introduced a completely new line of speaker cables incorporating an evolutionary and revolutionary breakthrough in cable design - FIDELIUM.

I describe FIDELIUM as an evolutionary breakthrough. The skin-effect characteristics of the FIDELIUM alloy are up to 33 times superior to those of copper or silver. The FIDELIUM speaker cable, already at less than a thousandth of an inch thick, performs as if it were 5.5 times thinner, thus experiencing less frequency dependent attenuation and phase distortion than even a .00018 inch thick copper or silver ribbon or 64 gauge wire.  The new alloy is also stronger than its SILVER or PALLADIUM predecessors.  The foil conductor can be rolled thinner yet is almost impossible to tear.  The labels are also specifically designed to reinforce the foil conductor, provide total electrical isolation, and facilitate the continuation of Silversmith Audio's unique connector-less speaker cables design.

I also describe FIDELIUM as a revolutionary change.  Geometry and alloy advancements contribute to the FIDELIUM's 330% performance improvement over the previous top-of-the-line PALLADIUM, yet FIDELIUM is only 1/10 the price. It is also less than half the price of the original SILVER speaker cable line. 

Again, I'm thrilled to be back in the Circle.

Best Regards and Happy Listening,

Jeffrey Smith

silversmithaudio.com

Phil A

Re: Introduction: Silversmith Audio
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2020, 01:37 am »
Welcome!  It was nice talking to you at the recent Florida Audio Expo as well.

A.G. Smith

• Industry Participant
    • Silversmith Audio
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2020, 01:50 am »
Thanks Phil!  I appreciate the welcome!  I was about to say that it would be a pleasure to shake your hand again at the next audio show, whenever and wherever that happens to be, but perhaps we'll just have to be content to wave from 6 feet away....

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2020, 12:49 pm »
Thanks Phil!  I appreciate the welcome!  I was about to say that it would be a pleasure to shake your hand again at the next audio show, whenever and wherever that happens to be, but perhaps we'll just have to be content to wave from 6 feet away....

Unfortunately with the state of things, I'm pretty sure those things won't be happening for a bit (and it is possible some of those shows could go away or be scaled down).  I enjoyed the Florida Audio Expo.  Lived in the DC area (Notthern VA) up until just over 6 years back and went to the Capital Audiofests each year and then one year (2015) I drove back from FL.  Also went to RMAF a few years back. I had an abbreviated stay (vs. the year before when I stayed for 4 days) at the Florida Audio Expo in February.  I drove extra early and took a slower route and stopped for breakfast (it's about a couple of hours for me with no traffic which usually isn't the case - about 135 miles) on Friday and then left around noon on Saturday.  The hotel is a nice venue but just way too small for the Saturday crowds.  I really liked the fact when I was in the DC area that I could be within reasonable driving distance and get to Rockville, MD early on Friday.  Probably if I went to an audio show at this point, it would probably be in conjuntion with other things in the area.  There's a bunch of things in DC that I always said I wanted to do but never got around to it (it was crazy in 2013 with construction on the house in FL and keeping on top of that with my crazy audiophile extras and getting the VA house ready for sale - was so worn out at the beginning of 2014 after the move that I did nothing, including unpacking stuff for a bit).  I kept your card and have your website saved.  Sometime over the next year or so, I'm going to have the rest of the inside painted (two small bedrooms and my office were recently done) and going to have to take the main system apart (heavy - rack alone is 350 lbs.) and then do some things.  Waiting for places to deliver inside the home again so I can upgrade the UHD TV in my 4K system in a small bedroom for now.

A.G. Smith

• Industry Participant
    • Silversmith Audio
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2020, 05:57 pm »
The DC and FL shows are both wonderful and still growing.  Both areas had been underserved by audio shows.  Unfortunately, many interested audiophiles have neither the time nor the resources to attend the major audio shows if they are not within an easy driving distance.   Audio manufacturers are generally unable to participate in a greater number of smaller shows around the country, but I think it would be enjoyable, if not beneficial, if the major shows rotated between some of the more colorful and cultural cities. A different city every year.  Tampa could team with the large Atlanta audio society to rotate between Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, and Charlotte.  The Capital Audiofest could rotate between DC, Philly, and Pittsburgh.  New York City, Buffalo, and Boston for the Chester Group.  Chicago, St Louis, Memphis, and San Antonio for AXPONA.  Denver, Salt Lake City, and Albuquerque (maybe Billings too?) for RMAF. And T.H.E. Show could rotate through L.A., San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle.  This would help keep things fresh and allow more enthusiasts around the country to experience these wonderful shows and in person.

celebrat

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2020, 06:25 pm »
Hi Jeffrey

Not sure if you remember, but many years ago you helped me with a set of Palladium speaker cables.  They are were wicked expensive but you gave me a decent discount on a demo set and allowed me to pay you directly over a few months with nothing in writing. Exceptional trust, integrity, and customer service. The Palladium cables are absolutely outstanding... probably best I have ever heard regardless of price. Noticeably and very audibly superior to most anything I have heard actually. I regrettably sold these with a set of Avantgarde Duos.  Actually the buyer insisted on keeping them as part of the sale.

So now you have a new cable called the Fidelium... 330% performance over the Palladium cables at a 10th of the price. To All reading this; even if they are ONLY the same performance as the Palladium, they are probably the best bargain in cables in all of Highend Audiodom. I cannot imagine any system in the Circles not benefiting from these. :notworthy: A new component like upgrade level from these cables. I can't recommend highly enough.

I am in Jeff. I'll be in touch this week. Welcome to Audio Circle. Looking forward to speaking with you.

Celebrat (Fred Manheck)

A.G. Smith

• Industry Participant
    • Silversmith Audio
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2020, 11:04 pm »
Hi Fred! I really appreciate your note and look forward to hearing from you.  I am truly honored by and proud of the reputation that the Palladium cables (and Silver too) have earned and I'm excited about Fidelium's potential going forward.  For those that have experienced both the Silver and Palladium lines, I will say that Fidelium's improvement over the Palladium, is on par with Palladium's improvement over the Silver.  My biggest challenge is going to be overcoming the tendency to equate price with performance.  Comments like yours from you and others who have experienced Silversmith Audio cables will help inform the community and overcome that tendency.  They are also greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2020, 03:31 am »
I've had your new site open for two weeks on my laptop. Hoping to try those new Fideliums when the finances allow.

Guys, Jeff knows cables and dielectrics, and on and on. I had a full flight of everything silver not too long ago and now I have his silver XLR's in combo with Stealth Indras. Super smooth. Always wanted to try the Palladiums.

In the cable world I consider Jeff's in the top 5 with the likes of Stealth, Jena Labs, and Tellurium. Folks doing things differently than round wire twisted together in a blah, blah, blah like everybody else.

Now if Jeff's speaker cables can dethrone my Cerious Technologies Graphene Matrix, then he's definitely onto something. I'm a little hesitant to take them out of the system so when you get the IC's ready we'll have to do a little tour perhaps?

Glad you are back in the game Jeff. :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2020, 04:37 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Jeff    :thumb:  Will definitely give your site a visit.  8)

A.G. Smith

• Industry Participant
    • Silversmith Audio
« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2020, 04:48 am »
Thanks @Big Red Machine! I appreciate the greeting and am thrilled you're still enjoying your Silver cables.  The Fidelium interconnect cables are still in the prototype stage but when ready, they'll include low mass and low skin effect alloy, hollow pin connectors.  Like the speaker cables, the prototype Fidelium ICs are already an impressive improvement over their Palladium predecessors.

I look forward to working with you when the pieces come together, for both of us.

A.G. Smith

• Industry Participant
    • Silversmith Audio
« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2020, 04:50 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Jeff    :thumb:  Will definitely give your site a visit.  8)

Thanks @ArthurDent!  I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

EkW

« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2020, 02:24 am »
I enjoyed the Essex papers on the website. I am too lazy to search for follow ups to Hawksford's papers. I like the application of the wave equations to investigate why cables could make an audible difference. For the moment I'm sticking with inexpensive Blue Jeans cables but I might give yours a try one day.
Are there many amps or speakers that have trouble accepting the wide spade connectors?

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2020, 02:52 am »
Welcome, Jeffrey.

The Fidelium cables look very promising to me, but I run Maggies, so the connector becomes an issue.  I’ve been using bare wire ends, and even bananas jammed into the terminals with good luck. Not crazy about adding an adaptor. Is there a solution that would allow a solid connection to the Maggie terminals without degrading the signal?

Thanks,

Jeff

A.G. Smith

• Industry Participant
    • Silversmith Audio
« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2020, 03:06 am »
I enjoyed the Essex papers on the website. I am too lazy to search for follow ups to Hawksford's papers. I like the application of the wave equations to investigate why cables could make an audible difference. For the moment I'm sticking with inexpensive Blue Jeans cables but I might give yours a try one day.
Are there many amps or speakers that have trouble accepting the wide spade connectors?

Hi @EkW.  Thanks for your interest in the Fidelium cables.  The 1/4 inch notch and wide ribbon design is compatible with most binding posts.  The red/black label ends of the cable are flexible and can bend to accommodate connection to tightly spaced posts.  Only a small 3/4 inch square surface of the conductor is exposed (and only exposed on one side) so the rest of the cable is completely insulated and nonconductive.  It is not a problem for the cables to overlap or touch adjacent binding posts.

Those fully plastic encased binding posts with only a narrow slot for a traditional spade lug will require an adapter.  For the short term, I will provide prototype adapters for those who need them.  Longer term, I will have a final version for sale.  Both the prototype and final versions use the same Fidelium alloy and will not affect the sound quality. 

There are also a small number of binding posts with a center column larger than 1/4 inch.  I am able to cut a larger notch to accommodate those binding posts as well.   

Thanks for the question!

A.G. Smith

• Industry Participant
    • Silversmith Audio
« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2020, 03:32 am »
Welcome, Jeffrey.

The Fidelium cables look very promising to me, but I run Maggies, so the connector becomes an issue.  I’ve been using bare wire ends, and even bananas jammed into the terminals with good luck. Not crazy about adding an adaptor. Is there a solution that would allow a solid connection to the Maggie terminals without degrading the signal?

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! (I hear all the cool guys are named Jeff...)
I've always been a fan of the Maggies!  I agree that thick metal adapters should be avoided, but if absolutely necessary, find the most minimalistic solution possible.  For a commercial solution for a spade to banana adapter, Audioquest has one of the better ones (https://www.audioquest.com/accessories/splitters-connectors-adaptors/spade-pin-and-banana-connectors/1002-g-banana-gold).
If you're willing to experiment a bit, I could provide a variation of the adapter I've devised for the plastic encased binding posts. If it works, it would not cause any degradation.  Feel free to drop me a note and I'll discuss the idea with you.  Thanks again!

A.G. Smith

• Industry Participant
    • Silversmith Audio
« Reply #15 on: 21 Apr 2020, 08:45 pm »
Welcome, Jeffrey.

Thanks,

Jeff

@Jeff_From_Michigan.  My attempted reply to your PM was blocked.  Please feel free to reach me at jsmith at silversmithaudio.com.  Thanks!

celebrat

« Reply #16 on: 6 May 2020, 08:35 pm »
Hi Everyone

I have had the Fidelium speaker cables in my system about 2 weeks now and I wanted to offer my opinion on these cables. I have no affiliation with Silversmith Audio other than being a customer. This is the second time Jeff and Silversmith Audio has exceeded my expectations. I am very much compelled to share my thoughts with everyone on the Audio Circles. It would be doing a disservice not to share about such a unique and truly impressive product with my fellow members.

Silversmith Audio Fidelium speaker cable Mini Review

Jeff, I wanted to get back to you and let you know how I am doing with the new Fidelium speaker cables. As you know I was a proud owner of a set of Palladium cables for Avantgarde Duo speakers. The Palladium transformed an already superb speaker to an altogether higher plane with every aspect of audio performance. I eventually sold the Duo's and was forced to part with the Palladiums in order to actually make the sale. While the Palladiums were very expensive, I would have to say they were worth every penny.

Fast forward about 14 years and I now have a set of speakers custom designed with vintage Altec 288B field coil compression drivers along with a set of fairly large bass horns, each containing 2 - 15 inch woofers.  This is a 2 way horn system, flat from 35hz and easily up to 15khz with no tweeter needed. 105db efficient. Open baffle subwoofers from GR Research bring base response down to 20 Hertz.

Apparently, I missed the early release for the Fidelium. I was out of the country at the beginning of the year for about a month and a half. I happened to notice a recent post by you introducing yourself and the Fidelium speaker ribbons to Audio Circle readers. The Fidelium are 1/10th the cost of the Palladium with a reported 330% improvement over the measurements of the original Palladium. To anyone reading this if you haven't heard the Palladium or Jeff's silver ribbons you don't really understand what an incredibly bold statement that last sentence makes.

When I stated earlier that the Palladium brought the old speakers to an altogether higher plane, I want to tell you what I was hearing. The sound was extremely linear, there was no part of the sound that drew attention to itself. There was no accentuating of the highs or lows; rather the sound became like a complete picture; a portrait of the original event. Noise floor was lowered significantly. Within this picture lower sounds seemed lower and deeper and more articulate. Treble response seemed more extended without any trace of hardness. The soundstage grew both in width and most importantly for me, depth. What the Palladium did for me was to provide a very convincing, believable image of a performance in my living room but extending far beyond the confines of my living room. I could go on and on, blah blah blah with other audiofool descriptions, But the bottom line is The Palladium presented the essence of the musical performance in such a true to life way, it was the best I had ever heard my system sound. The Palladium are more than cables; they are a synergistic component that allowed everything to get out of the way of the music.

So, where do the Fidelium fit into this story? Are they really 330% better than the Palladium? I really can't say. My hearing doesn't rate this type of thing in percentage points. What I can tell you is the Fidelium have done for me in this new system what The Palladium did in my old system. Did I mention the Fidelium are 1/10th the price of the Palladium? Did I mention that the Palladium were worth every penny? Honestly, while I don't care whether the Fidelium measure 330% better, I certainly do care that they are 1/10th the cost. That brings new meaning to the phrase “worth every penny” doesn't it?

My guess is the most challenging obstacle to overcome in bringing the Fidelium to market, is their cost is so low for what is being offered, that people will have a difficult time believing that for this price you can have SOTA cables, some of the finest in the world. Fortunately for me I have had the opportunity to hear both The Palladium and now the Fidelium. For me, it was a true no-brainer. Thanks Jeff.

celebrat

« Reply #17 on: 6 May 2020, 09:09 pm »

Beautiful Fidelium Ribbons

Big Red Machine

« Reply #18 on: 8 May 2020, 02:39 am »
So Jeff, these cables would be a no-brainer except for my amp. It is a Luxman M800A and has those captive connectors set down inside a plastic block. I can see the cable end bending into a shallow V and hopefully the slot does not twist out of electrical contact. Is there any way to trim the ends so the outside edge is narrower? I'm not excited about putting an adapter on the end and shoving that into the banana receptacle on the tightening knob.

Are these the same thickness the silver SC's were? They were a little delicate and had no Kapton sleeving near the tip so I'm hoping these are a little thicker and tougher.

Anyways, take a look at some Luxman binding posts and you'll see what I mean. I'd like to order a 10 foot pair so I want to verify what I can do so these don't get too mangled.

Oh yeah, how wide is the binding post slot?

A.G. Smith

• Industry Participant
    • Silversmith Audio
« Reply #19 on: 8 May 2020, 04:05 pm »

Silversmith Audio Fidelium speaker cable Mini Review

@celebrat

Hi Fred,
I truly appreciate your wonderful review and am thrilled that the Fidelium cables elevated your enjoyment of that impressive, one of a kind system!  Thanks for sharing the photos!

For everyone - @celebrat's custom speakers use a terminal block for speaker cable connection and he is also using the Fidelium cables to connect from his crossover to each driver.  This block is similar to that used by the Vandersteen speakers.  I wanted to point this out as it illustrates the flexibility and durability of the Fidelium cables to connect to a speaker in a very challenging configuration.  The cable is simply screwed down into place with the conductive surface facing the block and there is no danger of shorting as the rest of the cable is completely insulated.