Favorite BBQ sauces

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Favorite BBQ sauces
« Reply #60 on: 17 Aug 2013, 09:38 pm »
Mark, you might be able to find some online, as opposed to store bought.
Here's a place I buy my rubs from (this is the sauce page); https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/store/bbq-sauce

Bob

mjock3

« Reply #61 on: 12 Aug 2014, 02:37 pm »
Bone Sucking is a nice sauce. However my favorite at this time is Blues Hog original. It has a tangy then sweet profile like I have never had before. It also has a nice spice to it. If you need a bit more spice just mix in some of Blues Hog Tennessee Red into the original. This is the real deal!!

lokie

« Reply #62 on: 12 Aug 2014, 06:26 pm »
Hey whats up with the Corporate Food? How about supporting the little guy that brings pride to our communities?

Gots to give a shout to the local favorite here in North Georgia:

Strickland's Gourmet Bar-B-Q-Sauce

I would put it in the Tangy Vinegar camp.

As I get older, piling on BBQ with white bread and french fires is just not a good idea anymore. So, we have been pairing our BBQ with a variety of Pickles, Cold Slaw, Vegetable Kabobs, Black Bean Salads. Nothing better than pickled vegetables and BBQ. Here's another shout out to a small batch local company that goes great with BBQ: http://phickles.com/

All this BBQ talk has me thinking about football season that's just around the corner.

Cool breezes, cool beer and watching football on the deck.

And starting that grill nice and early while everyone in the house is still in bead.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #63 on: 24 Aug 2014, 06:40 pm »
These aren't sauces, they're rubs. But I didn't think they're worthy of their own thread.
Thought you'd enjoy.  :wink:

BoJonJovi

« Reply #64 on: 18 Jul 2015, 01:04 pm »
Head Country.
I use to have to order it but I have been seeing it now and then at Walsmarts.
Just don't start doing shots of the stuff.

decal

« Reply #65 on: 18 Jul 2015, 03:07 pm »
Mass market fave is the original Sweet Baby Ray's but my all time fave is my home brewed sauce. Sorry, I can't give you the formula or I'd have to kill you.

datman

« Reply #66 on: 18 Jul 2015, 03:33 pm »
Jack Miller's BBQ Sauce is the goto sauce in south Louisiana. I mix it 50 50 with Sweet Baby Ray's. This is a terrific sauce.

gregcss

« Reply #67 on: 18 Jul 2015, 04:50 pm »
Mass market fave is the original Sweet Baby Ray's but my all time fave is my home brewed sauce. Sorry, I can't give you the formula or I'd have to kill you.

Sweet Baby Ray's is tasty but its #1 ingredient is high fructose corn syrup so I defer to sauces sweetened with sugar, honey, molasses, etc.
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2015, 10:55 pm by gregcss »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #68 on: 18 Jul 2015, 07:54 pm »
Head Country.

Another vote for Head Country

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #69 on: 18 Jul 2015, 08:31 pm »
These aren't sauces, they're rubs. But I didn't think they're worthy of their own thread.
Thought you'd enjoy.  :wink:

I use several home made sauces but my home made rub has now been replaced by the Slap Yo' Daddy rub, as above and as per a recommendation from Bob from an earlier thread ( thanks Bob!).

Here's some useful life advice from SYD creator Harry Soo, a lovely, enlightened soul:
"My best advice is to live, love, laugh, and give. I lost my wife to cancer in 1994 and I raised my daughter 3 and son 5 by myself. Always be grateful because when you're grateful, you can be thankful. When you're thankful, you can be happy. It's as simple as that. Don't dwell on the would have's, could have's, and should have's. Hug your wife, kids, and loved ones and be at peace."

Here's to Harry, SYD and love, peace and bbq.

Cheerio,
KP

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #70 on: 18 Jul 2015, 09:23 pm »
It might have been mentioned already, but I found Stubbs Sticky Sweet sauce is my favorite. And NO HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP!!!!

ctviggen

« Reply #71 on: 22 Jul 2015, 12:52 am »
Sweet Baby Ray's is tasty but its #1 ingredient is high fructose corn syrup so I defer to sauces sweetened with sugar, honey, molasses, etc.

I'm no fan of high fructose corn syrup (it's used because it's cheap), but it's not much worse than what you listed.  For instance, sugar is 50% fructose (and 50% glucose), while HF corn syrup is slightly higher than 50% fructose (and less than 50% glucose).  Honey is basically sugar broken into its constituent parts.  Molasses is not much different.

Edroom

« Reply #72 on: 4 Mar 2016, 12:13 am »
Ever try RedRum BBQ Sauce?

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #73 on: 3 Aug 2017, 02:20 pm »
Time to give this thread a kick...
Stubb's 'Sticky Sweet' and Super Smoker's 'St. Louis Style' are my go-tos lately.

mcgsxr

« Reply #74 on: 3 Aug 2017, 02:49 pm »
Still loving the Stubb's spicy.  Available at a local butcher I go to sometimes as an alternative to my local grocer (which carries Black Angus beef).

martyo

« Reply #75 on: 3 Aug 2017, 03:14 pm »
I'm no fan of high fructose corn syrup (it's used because it's cheap), but it's not much worse than what you listed.  For instance, sugar is 50% fructose (and 50% glucose), while HF corn syrup is slightly higher than 50% fructose (and less than 50% glucose).  Honey is basically sugar broken into its constituent parts.  Molasses is not much different.

It doesn't taste the same as sugar or honey and leaves an after taste.

twitch54

« Reply #76 on: 3 Aug 2017, 03:38 pm »
Still loving the Stubb's spicy.  Available at a local butcher I go to sometimes as an alternative to my local grocer (which carries Black Angus beef).

me too, I cut it with some KC Masterpiece and dice up a few garlic cloves

srb

« Reply #77 on: 3 Aug 2017, 03:47 pm »
Trader Joe's Organic Sriracha and Roasted Garlic BBQ Sauce

I don't ever recall in the past standing in front of the refrigerator contemplating what I might have for a snack and in the meantime grabbing a spoon and eating a half teaspoon of the sauce.  Half a dozen times.  It's that good!

Steve

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #78 on: 3 Aug 2017, 04:52 pm »
Another Salt Lick fan here! I like the Original but the Spicy is great too.

murphy11

« Reply #79 on: 3 Aug 2017, 05:40 pm »
Trader Joe's Organic Sriracha and Roasted Garlic BBQ Sauce

I don't ever recall in the past standing in front of the refrigerator contemplating what I might have for a snack and in the meantime grabbing a spoon and eating a half teaspoon of the sauce.  Half a dozen times.  It's that good!

Steve

YES! Best I've ever had and is great on pizza, breakfast and a dozen other things. Must try.