Looking for a replacement for Plugplayer as a DLNA renderer app (iOS)

ellsworth

Hi;
I'm looking for recommendations for a DLNA renderer app for iOS 11.2.1 (iPhone X) to work with my BDP-2. I've got Plugplayer installed on some older i-devices and it works fine, but it no longer exists in the app store.  :cry:
I've tried 8player Lite (free), and it looks promising, but it's limited as they want you to buy the full-blown version. Right now I can get it to play single tracks at a time, but I don't see how it will play entire albums (folders). The paid version may have this capability, but I'm not seeing any specific references to this issue on their website. I hate paying for an app (it's $8.49) only to then discover it doesn't do what I want. Appreciate any feedback from anyone with experience with 8player or any other suitable app. Thanks!  :)

Krutsch

Look at Kinsky. But, to use it, you will need a server package like BubbleUPnP Server that supports OpenHome.

Loved using the combination of MinimServer and BubbleUPnP with Kinsky as my app.

However, the BDP's implementation of a DLNA renderer is based on gmedia_render, which is not good (many issues that I won't bother repeating on Audio Circle).

artur9

I use Kinsky and MinimServer as well.  Love the combo.

Instead of using the DLNA renderer in the BDP directly I use upmpdcli to tell MPD to play files via http.  Works great.  But you need someplace to run it.  If you're running MinimServer you can use the same machine to run upmpdcli.

ellsworth

Thanks for the replies and suggestions Krutsch and artur9. I'll definitely take a look at MinimServer and Kinsky and see how it turns out for me.