A request for Danny - LS Center Channel Kit

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
Re: A request for Danny - LS Center Channel Kit
« Reply #40 on: 10 Feb 2011, 05:50 pm »
Thanks.  Please let me know when this will be "orderable".

Randy

Will do.

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #41 on: 10 Feb 2011, 06:07 pm »
Attention DIY'ers!!! :D

LS-C DIY options will include:

The enclosure by itself ready for kit installation.

The enclosure by itself ready for veneer/paint.

Flat Pack.

Edit: I just recieved a PM asking about a "baffle only" option, so let's add that to the DIY list as well. :thumb:

Baffle only. (with, or without grille)

Thanks!

Ruben
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2011, 08:53 pm by Outofthewoods »

aaron smithski

« Reply #42 on: 10 Feb 2011, 06:25 pm »
Okay, I just hooked up 6 of the M-130X woofers in a series parallel configuration of two groups of three, then by-passed the outer four with a 47uF cap value (I might could use a 56uF, 62uF, or 75uF value there) and added a typical inductor and cap of a second order crossover. The impedance sweep showed it to be pretty good and the minimum to be in the 6.9 to 7 ohm range. So no problem with that configuration.

Power handling would be high just like the LS's.

Now if enough people want one, and you can get Ruben to not only build you enclosures, but get him to send me an enclosure to do the network design with, then we can make it happen.

Keep in mind too that it will be nearly 49" wide.

Okay, who wants one?

Danny,

What about using the same M-165x drivers that are in the LS as opposed to the M-130x?

I know you probably chose those to keep the size of this beast down, but in reality, if you already own a not-so-svelte speaker like LS-6/9's, what's an additional 1.25" in height and another 7.5" in width?  :icon_lol:

EDIT: Just noticed the Vas is 140% larger for the 6.5 over the 5.25.  :o

Danny Richie

« Reply #43 on: 10 Feb 2011, 06:57 pm »
Danny,

What about using the same M-165x drivers that are in the LS as opposed to the M-130x?

I know you probably chose those to keep the size of this beast down, but in reality, if you already own a not-so-svelte speaker like LS-6/9's, what's an additional 1.25" in height and another 7.5" in width?  :icon_lol:

EDIT: Just noticed the Vas is 140% larger for the 6.5 over the 5.25.  :o

The LS's use a custom built woofer just for that application. They are not M-165X woofers. In fact the parameters are very different. The LS woofers are also a 3 ohm woofer.  Using larger drivers would also push the acoustics center further apart and really hurt the off axis response compared to using the smaller M-130X woofers.

aaron smithski

« Reply #44 on: 10 Feb 2011, 07:21 pm »
The LS's use a custom built woofer just for that application. They are not M-165X woofers. In fact the parameters are very different. The LS woofers are also a 3 ohm woofer.  Using larger drivers would also push the acoustics center further apart and really hurt the off axis response compared to using the smaller M-130X woofers.

Gotcha -- that's what happens when one assumes.

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #45 on: 11 Feb 2011, 12:47 am »
I have to ask, but might this speaker also work as a pair of fronts built to look more like the OB7 MTMWWWW set up (incase u cant bring the speakers forward enough for the OB)?

Danny Richie

« Reply #46 on: 11 Feb 2011, 03:01 am »
I have to ask, but might this speaker also work as a pair of fronts built to look more like the OB7 MTMWWWW set up (incase u cant bring the speakers forward enough for the OB)?

Yes, yes they would.

skeeter99

« Reply #47 on: 11 Feb 2011, 07:52 pm »
Yes, yes they would.

Ahh, expanding the possibilities here ... This could really be a winner, 2 different styles sort of a Mini LS, but not an LS.  :thumb:

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #48 on: 12 Feb 2011, 01:23 am »
I find myself wondering how many ports are u thinking? If its just 2, I could imagine people forward porting (may be of course) with a port at each end (might work the same for the floorstanders too ( again, may be?)) if there's not enough room for rear?

Beatcoaster

« Reply #49 on: 12 Feb 2011, 08:34 am »
Ruben, I hope to build the cabinet myself but will just need some pieces of "moho" veneer to get it dialed - this is gonna be a fun project!  I just sold two ULW-10" drivers and two Marantz MA-500U's that have been sitting in the closet to begin my LS-C fund :)

Attention DIY'ers!!! :D

LS-C DIY options will include:

The enclosure by itself ready for kit installation.

The enclosure by itself ready for veneer/paint.

Flat Pack.

Edit: I just recieved a PM asking about a "baffle only" option, so let's add that to the DIY list as well. :thumb:

Baffle only. (with, or without grille)

Thanks!

Ruben

skeeter99

« Reply #50 on: 12 Feb 2011, 05:24 pm »
Ruben, I hope to build the cabinet myself but will just need some pieces of "moho" veneer to get it dialed - this is gonna be a fun project!  I just sold two ULW-10" drivers and two Marantz MA-500U's that have been sitting in the closet to begin my LS-C fund :)

Oh no you sold those drivers? I was just thinking about them this morning  :duh: Oh well, more money toward your new Center fund!!

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #51 on: 12 Feb 2011, 05:41 pm »

Hey BC,

Sounds Good! :thumb:

As soon as I hear back on the Moho I let you know. One way, or another, I'm sure I can find us a source.

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #52 on: 12 Feb 2011, 05:44 pm »
Oh no you sold those drivers? I was just thinking about them this morning  :duh: Oh well, more money toward your new Center fund!!

Hey Scott,

Doesn't Kevin have some of those drivers on hand?

Ruben

Beatcoaster

« Reply #53 on: 12 Feb 2011, 06:59 pm »
I know, sorry Skeet, but you could order better with your PE discount anyway!  I'm sure there is a load of those drivers floating around.

Beatcoaster

« Reply #54 on: 12 Feb 2011, 07:00 pm »
Nice, I'm excited!

Hey BC,

Sounds Good! :thumb:

As soon as I hear back on the Moho I let you know. One way, or another, I'm sure I can find us a source.

Ruben

Danny Richie

« Reply #55 on: 12 Feb 2011, 08:32 pm »
ULW-10" drivers

I think I even hae a few of those drivers laying around.

skeeter99

« Reply #56 on: 13 Feb 2011, 12:40 am »
Hey Scott,

Doesn't Kevin have some of those drivers on hand?

Ruben

Ruben,

Probably, but Mike lives 15 minutes from me so I could save on freight and he was gonna make me a pretty sweet deal on them :) Its all good though!

skeeter99

« Reply #57 on: 13 Feb 2011, 12:41 am »
I know, sorry Skeet, but you could order better with your PE discount anyway!  I'm sure there is a load of those drivers floating around.

No worries, its not like I have a place to use it, but I still wanted it  :lol:

skeeter99

« Reply #58 on: 13 Feb 2011, 12:43 am »

I think I even hae a few of those drivers laying around.

Really? I might be interested if the price is right. I don't need one but I have a spare 500w amp that was in the ULW-10 laying around so the EQ is right for those drivers. I'd be interested if I could use that amp with another driver though. I'll start another thread so this thread doesn't get too OT.

Scott

edoggrc51

« Reply #59 on: 13 Feb 2011, 07:24 am »
Yes!!! FINALLY an LS Center!! WOOHOO!!

Will these be available only in kit form? Or will buying a ready built (plug & play) speaker be an option??