Manual Coffee Grinder

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

stlrman

Re: Manual Coffee Grinder
« Reply #21 on: 24 Mar 2019, 02:01 am »
Why not get the JavaPress?
I just got one
Works great !!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #22 on: 24 Mar 2019, 02:04 am »
The moving parts are metal?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MQPWGN9/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07MQPWGN9
Just see the inards are metal, price is similar;  :scratch:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #23 on: 24 Mar 2019, 03:51 am »
Do you had washed it?
Your JavaPress enters water in the storage cup after washing?
as in this Lucky&Sons:

Grinder Link

thebrieze

« Reply #24 on: 6 May 2019, 10:46 pm »
The Hario pro grinder is very good. However if you have smaller hands, maybe one of the slim travel grinders might be more suitable.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 30 Jul 2019, 01:55 am »
Hi,
I have just ordered this bargain:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Coffee-Grinder-Adjustable-Ceramic-Conical-Burr-Mill-Brush-Spoon-Bag/143144605261?hash=item215415564d:g:8M8AAOSwslJccP7Y
I was unable to determine what was the best grinder so I ordered this cheap model, if it breaks will no be a loss.
I wish thanks all yours suggestions and posts :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 15 Aug 2019, 01:25 pm »
I have received it today, seems a Java clone for less price, all parts looks quality inox steel inclusive the spoon and the same used on the Java grinder except the handle that is not inox but carbon steel, but I can live with it at this price.
Thanks to all posters for the help, much appreciated.

twitch54

« Reply #27 on: 15 Aug 2019, 01:57 pm »
keep us in the loop as to how it performs and holds up  ...  :)

Doublej

« Reply #28 on: 24 Aug 2019, 12:39 pm »
Hi,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Coffee-Grinder-Adjustable-Ceramic-Conical-Burr-Mill-Brush-Spoon-Bag/143144605261?hash=item215415564d:g:8M8AAOSwslJccP7Y
I was unable to determine what was the best grinder so I ordered this cheap model, if it breaks will no be a loss.

How is it holding up and how easy is it to clean? I am ready to get one.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 24 Aug 2019, 02:35 pm »
I only used it 3 times and it worked fine and easy to use, I havent washed it with water yet, I just shaked it to get the dust out. I don't know if it should be washed with water or just vacuuming the dust. The only thing I did not like is that the shaft is not square but has 5 sides/pentagon and Iam afraid it will strip the shaft.

I noted all brands and grinders use a pentagon shaft.
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2019, 04:54 am by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 1 Sep 2019, 04:56 pm »
I not able to get thin coffee in the first time, I have to grind 2 times to get thin powder as in this image, but I bough a great coffee at a low price.

johnto

« Reply #31 on: 4 Sep 2019, 04:12 pm »
My Zassenhaus does anything from french to espresso with no problems. Its worth spending more and getting something that's good for life.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #32 on: 4 Sep 2019, 04:41 pm »
I not able to get thin coffee in the first time, I have to grind 2 times to get thin powder as in this image, but I bough a great coffee at a low price.

You only spent a few dollars, so I wouldn't expect the same performance as something better.  My Gaggia MDF is a lifetime machine, but it cost like a lifetime machine. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #33 on: 4 Sep 2019, 05:42 pm »
  The best manual Coffee grinder is my Wife. :roll:

charles

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 30 Mar 2020, 02:41 pm »
I ordered a second unit for spare due the low price.

johnto

« Reply #35 on: 15 Aug 2020, 10:20 pm »
Check eBay for a  good used grinder I got a quality Zassenhaus for a reasonable price there.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 24 Sep 2023, 08:13 am »
Hi dear coffee fans>
After more than 4 years of intense daily use,
my cheap Java clone seems to be worn, the
ceramic gears takes much time to grind in the
super fine setting.

Anyone have experience with this metal gear grinder?
I would like to know if its good on the super fine grind?
I dont use the mid and coarser settings.
https://www.amazon.com/TIMEMORE-Chestnut-Grinder-Capacity-Stainless/dp/B0833SDN8M/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1SR6JE8A32V6B&keywords=timemore+coffee+grinder&qid=1695540504&s=kitchen-intl-ship&sprefix=timemore+coffe+grinder%2Ckitchen-intl-ship%2C225&sr=1-5

newzooreview

« Reply #37 on: 24 Sep 2023, 02:08 pm »
After getting inconsistent results from electric and handheld burr grinders in the $50-$200 range, I finally got a Comandante hand grinder: the C40 Mk4 Nitro Blade.

It is a real pleasure to use, and the results have been consistent and excellent. I would have saved money if I had just gotten it in the first place. It's $310 here in the US with one of the wood veneers.

For grinding espresso, get the Red Clix RX-35 precision grind adjustment. Comandante made this for espresso grinds so that you can dial in the grind exactly how you want it.

I also like the glass grinds jar, which is a $20 separate purchase for four of them. I'm sure that the supplied polycarbonate jar is excellent, but I like the feel of glass. In addition, I got the "Big Joe" knob for the grinding arm. The supplied knob works well, so it's not necessarily an upgrade to get the larger knob.

I use it for pour-over grinds, but most of the online reviews are more focused on espresso, where consistency and fine control of grind size are critical. The reviews consistently find it excels at espresso grinds, and the US distributor actually specializes in Turkish Coffee which the Comandante will also grind very nicely. One pass, no double grinding.

Company site:
https://comandantegrinder.com/index.html#styles

US Distributor:
https://www.specialtyturkishcoffee.com/product-category/comandante-grinder/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 25 Sep 2023, 06:20 am »
Hi,
The inexpensive $10 Java clone I have ordered 4 years ago still is in working order, except that it takes about 15 minutes or more depend on the beans size to grind a full load of beans (2 full spoons) and in the final beans it keeps really sloow to grind, the beans dont go down into the gears, so at this point I have to loosen the adjustment one click and more some minutes to finish.

Inspecting the ceramic gears, can be seen that they are worn and have lost their sharp edge. Iam thinking in use the second unit I have purchased for spare or buy a new metal gears unit that here cust around $80usd :scratch:
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2023, 07:35 am by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 25 Sep 2023, 06:23 am »
Hi Newzoo,
Thankyou for your detailed report on your experience with the Comandante brand, very much appreciated.