Thank you Danny: for the Carnegie CST-1's and upgrade, I'm wowed

AverageNiceGuy

Thank you Danny for making available the Carnegie CST-1's and upgrade parts available.
I probably would have failed on my own to invest in such high end speakers.
I have had them for several weeks now, and I am often wowed with how they sound, especially the tweeters.
I presumed my SVS Ultra-Bookshelves would be the best speakers that I would ever own.
The Carnegie CST'1's have spanked them down a notch... or two.... 8)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
A friend of mine has that exact same speaker.  It's no surprise to me that it sounds so good.  Based on parts quality, build quality and sound quality, you'd pay around $10k if you bought something similar nowadays.

AverageNiceGuy

A friend of mine has that exact same speaker.  It's no surprise to me that it sounds so good.  Based on parts quality, build quality and sound quality, you'd pay around $10k if you bought something similar nowadays.
Wow, I was presuming they were in the $4k realm, but $10k! Wow... 8)

Tyson

Wow, I was presuming they were in the $4k realm, but $10k! Wow... 8)

Yep, the cabinet with the transmission line bracing and a slight back tilt and the piano black finish would all drive up the price.  No-Rez is also far beyond what most other manufacturers use for damping material.  And the crossover parts quality?  Nope, don't get that until around $10k.  The drivers are not super expensive but they out perform other drivers that are far more expensive.  Especially the planar tweeter.  That might just be the best tweeter in the world at the moment. 

AverageNiceGuy

Yep, the cabinet with the transmission line bracing and a slight back tilt and the piano black finish would all drive up the price.  No-Rez is also far beyond what most other manufacturers use for damping material.  And the crossover parts quality?  Nope, don't get that until around $10k.  The drivers are not super expensive but they out perform other drivers that are far more expensive.  Especially the planar tweeter.  That might just be the best tweeter in the world at the moment.

Wow! You've talked me into buying a pair!  8)
Thank you.

Tyson

The stock crossover is good but the upgraded crossover (Sonicaps, etc..) that Danny offers is what gets you to that $10k level of performance

AverageNiceGuy

The stock crossover is good but the upgraded crossover (Sonicaps, etc..) that Danny offers is what gets you to that $10k level of performance
Thanks again.
I haven't had much experience with high end stuff.

Now I'm wondering how much sound quality I might be missing with my old Marantz receivers vs. other amps.
Marantz SR7002 ~110watts/ch, year 2008
https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/marantz-sr7002-hdmi
and
Marantz SR5003 ~90watt/ch, year-2008
https://hometheaterreview.com/marantz-sr5003-av-receiver-reviewed/

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Thanks again.
I haven't had much experience with high end stuff.

Now I'm wondering how much sound quality I might be missing with my old Marantz receivers vs. other amps.
Marantz SR7002 ~110watts/ch, year 2008
https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/marantz-sr7002-hdmi
and
Marantz SR5003 ~90watt/ch, year-2008
https://hometheaterreview.com/marantz-sr5003-av-receiver-reviewed/

The short answer is a lot. Over the past few years I’ve gone through a few steps on the upgrade path with equipment and each step up has brought improved sound quality. I have a Marantz 7009 in my system which I use only for movies. Even then, I have the main speaker preamp outputs of the Marantz connected to my stereo preamp so the speakers are always driven by the stereo preamp and monoblock power amps.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
I wish I had snagged a pair with the upgrades and some norez, but I'm quite happy with my pair of X-LS!
For now... :P

hawkeyejw

It’s cool to read about your experience in getting the speakers and listening and then upgrading, ANG. I’m a big believer in PMDs, they have unbelievable dynamics and detail without being fatiguing. The first PMD speakers I heard were in a full Wisdom Audio setup and they blew me away. I wonder if Danny has ever heard/tinkered with their tweeters and if so what his impressions were.

AverageNiceGuy

It’s cool to read about your experience in getting the speakers and listening and then upgrading, ANG. I’m a big believer in PMDs, they have unbelievable dynamics and detail without being fatiguing. The first PMD speakers I heard were in a full Wisdom Audio setup and they blew me away. I wonder if Danny has ever heard/tinkered with their tweeters and if so what his impressions were.
Good to hear.. 8)
PMD's?

hawkeyejw

Sorry, PMD = planar magnetic drivers. Most high end headphones use them and there’s been a couple companies that have made them for larger speakers, such as the ones in your CST-1s. They’re awesome drivers when implemented well.

Sonicjoy

I would agree with Mike. You are missing a lot using a home theater receiver. There is so much crammed into one box all running off one power supply and in close proximity to everything else. Definitely not ideal for music. With video your mind is distracted from the mediocre sound by the picture. Take away that distraction then it becomes more obvious that the sound could be better. I know because I have done that. I built a system around a similar spec. Denon reciever. It was the last thing I upgraded and boy what a difference it made finally getting a good stereo preamp and amp.     

AverageNiceGuy

Sorry, PMD = planar magnetic drivers. Most high end headphones use them and there’s been a couple companies that have made them for larger speakers, such as the ones in your CST-1s. They’re awesome drivers when implemented well.
PMD, cool, i was unfamiliar with the abbreviation. Thanks!
Yes, they continue to impress me.  8)

AverageNiceGuy

The short answer is a lot. Over the past few years I’ve gone through a few steps on the upgrade path with equipment and each step up has brought improved sound quality. I have a Marantz 7009 in my system which I use only for movies. Even then, I have the main speaker preamp outputs of the Marantz connected to my stereo preamp so the speakers are always driven by the stereo preamp and monoblock power amps.

Thanks mlundy57, and Sonicjoy,
It looks like higher quality amplification will be my next adventure.

lincolnmat

Glad you are happy with your CST-1s. I am still totally enjoying them in combination with the Audio Research Reference 75 amp I bought after the speakers. I am listening to records and being amazed at the clarity and dynamics that I haven't experienced before. The combination is fantastic. Of course after I bought the amp some of the newer Audio Research VT80s became available at a great price, but even with their promise of less tube bother (they have auto-bias as well as notification and fuse protection for the tubes), I think I am satisfied with this amp.

Matt

AverageNiceGuy

Glad you are happy with your CST-1s. I am still totally enjoying them in combination with the Audio Research Reference 75 amp I bought after the speakers. I am listening to records and being amazed at the clarity and dynamics that I haven't experienced before. The combination is fantastic. Of course after I bought the amp some of the newer Audio Research VT80s became available at a great price, but even with their promise of less tube bother (they have auto-bias as well as notification and fuse protection for the tubes), I think I am satisfied with this amp.
Matt

Wow, I bet those amps are impressive!
I checked prices, I'm surprised at how much they cost.
Maybe I will be able to stumble across a deal on a used one someday.
Congratulations on a nice sounding setup!  8)

lincolnmat

I payed less than half list price for a used amp.

charmerci

There are always the Odyssey or AVA integrated amps at about $1K each.

AverageNiceGuy

There are always the Odyssey or AVA integrated amps at about $1K each.
Thanks guys!
Now I need to do something that makes my wife think that I am deserving of a "new toy"!  8)
« Last Edit: 1 Jul 2020, 08:03 pm by AverageNiceGuy »