Help me decide stand color?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Help me decide stand color?
« Reply #20 on: 22 Aug 2019, 02:36 pm »
From the side photo, the way the base curve at the very bottom is 'radiused'. if it was less of a large circular curve radius (looks like wood working 101) and more 'in tune with the sharpness of the speaker. The actual large radius of the cut is OK. but if it were the same shape as the side of the speaker curve..(The curve there, just sagging? some so it is not so circular, more a curve like the speaker side) just vertical curve like the speakers horizontal.. it would blend and connect more.
The little other curve I am whining about is the little one, at the base the rounded off end at the back bottom. Make more perky, and like the speaker shape, not so round.

I have to say the point at the base front looks better from the side...
Tell us to STOP!! if this is just getting annoying  :thumb:

richidoo

« Reply #21 on: 22 Aug 2019, 09:28 pm »
All white, even the baffle, for maximum WAF. A warm but bright white.
Add some subtle "rose gold' / coppery accent trims, like woofer frame, maybe copper letters spelling the brand or model name stuck onto the speaker, like the old Gemme Katana speakers.
Curvey shape is very WAF!  Nice job!

EdRo

« Reply #22 on: 23 Aug 2019, 03:12 am »
Yes, I am looking for feedback. I realize that everyone has different ideas about what looks good and what doesn't. I am trying to develop a new speaker shape that will work for  both stand and column speakers. So don't worry about voicing your opinions here. There are things about this cab shape that I've already changed because I don't like the visual balance of the design. I like some of the ideas mentioned about the stand. I'll try to incorporate these in the next iteration to make a more pleasing but functional overall design. Keep the opinions coming, guys. Please!

Elizabeth

« Reply #23 on: 23 Aug 2019, 01:43 pm »
The speaker shape is GREAT.. I think it would be a knockout in some exotic wood!
Even in plain old white the speaker shape is exciting and vibrant. as it is. :thumb:
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2019, 03:10 pm by Elizabeth »

EdRo

« Reply #24 on: 23 Aug 2019, 08:17 pm »
Thanks Elizabeth! :rock: I think it rocks, too. Even though I've seen similar shapes before, this top I have is different. I haven't seen another like it. And that part can draw some criticism,  also. The latest version is smaller, with a seam down the back. It's easier to build, move and set up. The smaller one is set up with a 6" woofer. It's going through crossover testing as I write this. I'll add a pic of this "mini VonOtto soon. Thanks for your feedback so far folks!!!

EdRo

« Reply #25 on: 23 Aug 2019, 10:49 pm »

Here are the stands and cabs in black primer...

Early B.

« Reply #26 on: 24 Aug 2019, 12:04 am »
Everyone -- stand down!  They look a helluva lot better with black primer. :lol:   

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #27 on: 24 Aug 2019, 11:22 am »
Ed, perhaps you could state or somehow scale the size of these speakers.  Your earlier models were quite big, making any unusual attributes (like the pointy top) stand out excessively.  Definitely would stand out in almost any setting and probably have very low WAF.  So getting the color right is vital.  Going very dark could really make them seem very foreboding (almost like a Sci-Fi monster).  As the shape is rather organic, suggest some sort of Earth tone(s).

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #28 on: 24 Aug 2019, 05:16 pm »
They might actually look cool in a sort of textured black paint, and matte instead of gloss. 

Elizabeth

« Reply #29 on: 24 Aug 2019, 05:42 pm »
The WAF is gonna be white gloss speaker..  :thumb:
Just sayin'

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #30 on: 24 Aug 2019, 06:12 pm »
I would suggest the color of the front baffle for the stands. Then, the stand gets less attention. but still fits in the scheme of things. And that will also make the color and finish of the actual speaker STAND OUT MORE.
If the speakers are going to have fabric baffle covers, then the stands should be that color. or both stand and baffle cover same as the front baffle.

(if the stand is like it is now.. it looks like a whale... IE unattractive. mainly for that little extra flat part at the bottom sticking out. looks home made rather than professional The stand middle to base junction is just not making a good impression in white. Trust me. The juxposition if the nice curve in back, but then the flat joining to the base.. two different styles? not quiet there.. I would not want to make it stand out. which it does if white.

Yes I am a harsh critic. Better your friend than not.

Agree 100%. As a retired Architect Interior designer face and stand same color.

charlers

EdRo

« Reply #31 on: 24 Aug 2019, 06:59 pm »
I hope this works...

EdRo

« Reply #32 on: 24 Aug 2019, 07:00 pm »

Elizabeth

« Reply #33 on: 24 Aug 2019, 08:24 pm »
What ever color, I hope the demo goes GREAT !!! and you have a good time.  :thumb:

EdRo

« Reply #34 on: 24 Aug 2019, 11:35 pm »

EdRo

« Reply #35 on: 25 Aug 2019, 01:32 am »
I decided to go with all white, mainly because I know even though the baffles are black, the stands painted black will be a different tone of black than the baffles. Sometimes that tonal difference can look really bad. So...all white. I think this all white set looks pretty good.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #36 on: 25 Aug 2019, 04:04 am »
The cool thing about all white is that you can really customize the look/feel of the speaker by having different grill cloth colors.  I have white speakers with burgundy grill cloths, but I'm about to change them to navy grill cloths, because the decor in my room changed recently.  It's a nice bit of extra flexibility that's hard to achieve with speakers that are black or wood veneered. 

jriggy

« Reply #37 on: 25 Aug 2019, 12:22 pm »
You made the right decision, in my professional opinion.

EdRo

« Reply #38 on: 25 Aug 2019, 02:02 pm »
Hey guys!!! Thanks for helping. "Speakers by committee" isn't my normal mode of operation. But, these are one off proof of concept speakers that I need to move. Again, thanks for the opinions offered, and if anyone is interested in listening to these, feel free to p.m. me. These are a one off unique set of cabs, with very good parts.

EdRo

« Reply #39 on: 30 Aug 2019, 07:23 pm »

Almost done!