Help me decide stand color?

EdRo

Help me decide stand color?
« on: 21 Aug 2019, 04:28 pm »
Ok, guys. I'm finally getting these "proof of concept' cabs painted, just in time for a speaker show in Grand Rapids, Mi. Hosted by Meniscus Audio September 20th and 21st, this gala event will be at the Grand River Hotel in the conference room. One of the subjects of this show will be "Do high performance crossover components make an audible difference". These speakers are being painted as I write this piano gloss white, but should the stands be white also? or black? I can't decide!!! Feel free to give me your 2 cents!
Thanks, guys.
Ed

Carl V

Re: Help me decide stand color?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2019, 04:33 pm »
vertical upright WHITE,
flat base horizontal -BLACK

Nice looking.

Good Luck

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2019, 04:45 pm »
vertical upright WHITE,
flat base horizontal -BLACK

Nice looking.

Good Luck

+1

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2019, 04:48 pm »
I would suggest the color of the front baffle for the stands. Then, the stand gets less attention. but still fits in the scheme of things. And that will also make the color and finish of the actual speaker STAND OUT MORE.
If the speakers are going to have fabric baffle covers, then the stands should be that color. or both stand and baffle cover same as the front baffle.

(if the stand is like it is now.. it looks like a whale... IE unattractive. mainly for that little extra flat part at the bottom sticking out. looks home made rather than professional The stand middle to base junction is just not making a good impression in white. Trust me. The juxposition if the nice curve in back, but then the flat joining to the base.. two different styles? not quiet there.. I would not want to make it stand out. which it does if white.

Yes I am a harsh critic. Better your friend than not.

gab

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2019, 04:54 pm »
Black

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2019, 05:17 pm »
I would suggest the color of the front baffle for the stands. Then, the stand gets less attention. but still fits in the scheme of things. And that will also make the color and finish of the actual speaker STAND OUT MORE.

+1

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2019, 05:43 pm »
Consider bold but conservative colors like burgundy or emerald green baffle and stands.   

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2019, 06:25 pm »
Maybe wrap it in white robes with a gold rope belt cinching it all up :D

For some reason, I think Pontiff hat when I look a these.

Blessed be the music lovers...

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2019, 06:34 pm »
When I look at it from the front I think paint the stand piano black.  When I look from the side I think paint it piano white. 

Probably piano black is the best option (yes I'm changing my vote, lol).

EdRo

« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2019, 07:34 pm »
The painter suggested that the if stands are black, the cabs will almost appear to be floating, making the speakers the focal point. I think I agree.

EdRo

« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2019, 08:37 pm »
So some of you don't like the peak of the cabs going up and back? This isn't the first time I've heard this...priest/druid/Pharoh speakers...
It's tough creating something interesting and unique. Thanks for giving me your input guys. I need to hear it.

hdspeakerman

« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2019, 08:49 pm »
vote for black stands

EdRo

« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2019, 08:57 pm »
Hey Elizabeth. Thanks for the critisisms, and I don't think they were harsh. ""(if the stand is like it is now.. it looks like a whale... IE unattractive. mainly for that little extra flat part at the bottom sticking out. looks home made rather than professional The stand middle to base junction is just not making a good impression in white. Trust me. The juxposition if the nice curve in back, but then the flat joining to the base.. two different styles? not quiet there.. I would not want to make it stand out. which it does if white.""

I struggled with my stand shape for weeks and weeks, finally going with the one you see. I initially wanted an outrigger setup under this vertical "column". Maybe that would still be more effective visually? What If I projected the speakers' shape to the bottom piece? I need to get this finalized! AARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2019, 09:23 pm »
Yes I think that could do better. The problem I see stylistically is the mismatch in shapes. They do not look like they are 'of one design'. they look cobbled.
See the nice way the top curves, it connects with the way the sides of the speaker body curves. really well. Then note how ungracefully the flat base of the stand curves compared to the actual stand. different and not complementary. The stand itself is decent. Giving it a compound curve so it narrowed then back out but might cost a whole lot more to make??
If you have little time, I would just remove that little 'pointed' area at the tip of the flat base. It draws attention to the base too much.
And is easy to take off?
If also possible round off the base to be a little more the shape of the stand proper curve as it exits the front. not a lot needed. to cut the bulb effect of (the front sides) the flat base.
If any of that is too much to do before the show just skip it and paint it. Not that it's current shape is somehow bad, it just is not a lot like the speaker.
I do NOT want to get you over extended.. Or cutting stuff up you cannot undo if it look bad,
SO again, if you have time otherwise just paint it on time in time. Way better to have a speaker than almost a speaker to show.  :thumb:
PS that front speaker plate is a GREAT color for the base. it is grey, matches up the base TO the speaker in a good way. If you are going to do the presentation with no grill, I would go with the speaker front plate color match. And no messing with the design of the base. (at the last minute)

RDavidson

« Reply #14 on: 21 Aug 2019, 10:18 pm »
I really appreciate the skill and creativity here. Great stuff!

Now...if it were me, I would have made the front surface of the stand and/or at least the base of the stand follow the shape of the face of the speaker. This way you have some form continuity starting at the floor that leads one's eyes up to the face of the speakers. Right now it looks like 3 separate ideas (speaker shape, stand shape, and base shape) versus one cohesive design. When struggling for ideas in these situations, just keep it clean and simple and you will rarely go wrong. :wink:

As it is, I agree with Elizabeth. Give the stands a dark neutral color that matches the front baffle. This will help a bit with color continuity. At the same time it will not draw attention to the lack of form continuity...helping it blend in with the environment.

If the form of the stands matched the speakers, you could paint them the same as the speakers or paint them a dark neutral color and they'd look great either way.

jriggy

« Reply #15 on: 21 Aug 2019, 11:33 pm »
Am I the only one that thinks all white w/ black (paynes gray) front baffle? Seems like us artist/designers always have the unpopular opinion.

EdRo

« Reply #16 on: 21 Aug 2019, 11:58 pm »

Here's another shot more from the side. This "stand" started off as my idea to remove the normal "plinth" from the equation. That is, I wanted to do away with the "box sitting on another box" thing. Since it was beneficial to put the crossover somewhere other than in the speaker cab, and I needed to give this large monitor height to align the tweeter with the listener's ear, I decided to widen the vertical to make room for the x-o. Then I could put outriggers on the bottom of the vertical and wouldn't technically have the "box sitting on a box' thang going. That was my original intent.
...Oh...and to me this design almost reminds me of a starship...ala Star Trek...I like it. Whether it flows as well as I like, this was a "proof of concept". I'll explain at the show, in Grand Rapids next month!   

ebag4

« Reply #17 on: 22 Aug 2019, 12:54 am »
Hi Ed, you appear to be asking for feedback...  I think the base should use the same angles you used on the rear of the cabinet only with the point at the front.  Less depth as compared to the cabinet.  I think that would tie it together.  You would still have room for the crossover, and maybe outriggers instead of the base.  I think carbon fiber would look sharp on the base, I’m pretty sure I have seen you work with that in the past, perhaps i’m mistaken.  Anyway, just one mans opinion.  Love the cabinet shape.

Best,
Ed

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #18 on: 22 Aug 2019, 12:16 pm »
From my structural engineering background, I'd like to see a wider/thicker/heavier base plate to add lateral stability and move the center of gravity closer to the floor.  And as long as the face is black, I'd make the base plate black too.  And why not do away with the exposed top plate on the stand and just bolt it into the speaker? 

Agree that the shape theme of the speaker doesn't quite match that of the stand (not that most do).  If undecided why not offer a variety of base sizes/shapes and speaker colors so customers can pick and set the height to their preference?

Have you considered a grey speaker/stand body?  This is a big speaker, a neutral color would reduce its impact and make it look less like a zebra.

Nick77

« Reply #19 on: 22 Aug 2019, 12:45 pm »
I tend to agree the awesome aesthetics of the speaker dont match the stand, therefore black is best to help disappear.