BDA 3.14 DAC, preamp and streamer

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA 3.14 DAC, preamp and streamer
« Reply #20 on: 26 Nov 2019, 03:16 pm »
Hi

Mine does not change the volume either - I was just saying that I use the Tape Out and the volume on the BHA1 as that way whatever is connected to my BP26 I can hear through the BHA.

james

bud1451

« Reply #21 on: 29 Nov 2019, 12:54 pm »
James....will the 3.14 be shipping soon?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #22 on: 29 Nov 2019, 02:01 pm »
James....will the 3.14 be shipping soon?

Hi

We have shipped about 40 units so far and have another 50 planned in production which should be available sometime next month.   Any new order I would say about 3 weeks out.

james

Pundamilia

« Reply #23 on: 30 Nov 2019, 10:06 pm »
Thanks James. I will play around with it, but thanks for the possible solution to no remote capability for the BHA-1.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 7 Dec 2019, 04:54 pm »

Hi James,

Just a quick blog of an install I did yesterday with some of our favourite brands, Bryston for power, source and pre-amp.

The beauty of this system is that we used Unity Gain on the Bryston BP173 so the customer can have a really nice cinema setup then switch to 2 channel for his music with no compromise and I have to say that it works a treat.

For the beady eyed amongst you may notice the new Bryston BDA-3.14 DAC/Streamer/Pre-amp, this was the first installed in the UK, only arriving fresh from Canada on Thursday, even though our demo one arrived at the same time I haven’t had time to play with it yet but it installed pretty smoothly and sounded great out the box, I have to say this seems like an incredibly well priced piece of kit, especially being a Roon endpoint also.

Bryston Gear Installed:
Bryston BDA 3.14 DAC/Streamer/Pre
Bryston BP173 Pre-Amp
Bryston 7B3 Mono Blocks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 13 Dec 2019, 12:16 am »

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston 3.14 DAC/Streamer/Preamp … Opinion

New Bryston BDA-3.14 Now on Demo …
It’s Superb!

Hi All,

I just wanted to say that we now have the new Bryston BDA-3.14 now on permanent demo and it really is a brilliant bit of kit, every now and again a HiFi company brings out a real gem, something that deserves to be a big success and I would say after a few days playing with the BDA 3.14 that this is a real killer product from Bryston.

I have been a Bryston user probably for around 10 years+ now, I still run 7B3 mono’s at home and have had various Bryston Preamps, Dac’s and Streamers over that time so when I heard of the BDA 3.14 I didn’t hesitate to order one to put on demo as it sounded like an intriguing product.

So our demo model arrived on Thursday and I took it home over the weekend to play with and it really didn’t disappoint, if anything it far exceeded my expectations.  Now it is easy in this game to get flippant about how much kit costs but to me the price of the 3.14 seems like a genuine bargain as in it’s loosest terms it is a very high performing DAC, a Streamer, a Digital preamp and a Roon Endpoint but in reality it is much more than that thanks to it’s support of Tidal, Qobuz, Internet Radio and with HDMI inputs for SACD Playback it really does stand it part from a lot of other DAC’s on the market.

The beauty of this product is it’s simplicity, all you need is a power amp and a pair of speakers, needless to say a Bryston 2.5B3 or 4B3 would be ideal, and you are up and running, at home I just run a couple of XLR’s into my 7B’s and I was listening to music in no time at all and it really did sound excellent, to start with I controlled it with the BDA’s own on board software then I set it up as a Roon endpoint and then it came into its own. As for anyone who has used Roon will know it is the interface to end all interfaces and the hours just flew by as I spent the evening putting it through its paces, amongst other songs I listened to Nick Cave's Ghosteen in its entirety and got totally swept away by it, totally captivating, now I know the whole system plays its part but the source is where it all starts and is incredibly important and the BDA-3.14 really did shine.

So to sum up, this is a great bit of kit, you don’t need to be a Bryston fan to appreciate how good this is, I can’t think of anything that is as complete a package as this at this price point, to me I look at it as a cheaper version of the DCS Rossini as they do similar jobs but that costs 5 times as much.

Anyway if you feel this is something that may appeal to you feel free to get in touch to give it a try, I guess I need to take it out of my rig at home and bring it back to the shop, bugger.

Cheers,
Paul,
HiFi Lounge
UK

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 20 Dec 2019, 06:22 pm »
I just purchased a Bryston BDA-3.14 which has native Qobuz software.

Signed up for Qobuz "Studio" (the highest level) for $149 a year.  Well I must say that the SQ of the hi-rez is simply amazing.  Familiar albums are new again. Even the Redbook CD ones sound great.  The BDA is hardwired ethernet and I've had no problems with dropouts.

Bought a small HP laptop 11" just for this purpose.  I have no clue how other systems work, but the BDA is a node on my home network.  The laptop is used to login to Bryston (the company) which recognizes the BDA is mine.  So, in simple terms, there is no computer in the chain, the only function the laptop serves is to act as a sophisticated remote control for the BDA-3.14 software (ie. stop play skip, create playlists, store files locally if desired).  The BDA has 10 inputs, I'm only using one.

Bart

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 20 Dec 2019, 07:23 pm »

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston 3.14 DAC/STREAMER/PREAMP

DECEMBER 20, 2019

Bryston BDA-3.14 launched at AV Designs

James Tan (left) and Tony Low officiating the launch of the Bryston BDA-3.14.

The Bryston BDA-3.14 was launched at AV Designs in Kuala Lumpur yesterday.

The launch event itself was a simple affair but what the attendees wanted was to hear what the DAC-cum-streamer could do.

That was when Malaysian LS3/5A sifu Jo Ki stepped in and played several tracks first using the Bryston BDP-3 and the BDA-3 combination and then switching to the BDA-3.14 in a system comprising TAD pre and power amps and PMC speakers.

Jo Ki said there was little difference between the two sources which showed that the BDA-3.14 is great value for money.

The BDA-3.14 is essentially the BDA-3 DAC with a high quality streamer internally connected with I²S and features 10 different inputs including 4                               
HDMI, 2 USB, AES/EBU, S/PDIF RCA, S/PDIF BNC, and Toslink.

Some of these inputs offer PCM support up to 384 kHz / 32 bit and DSD support up to DSD-256.

The Bryston BDA-3.14 is essentially a BDA-3 DAC with a built-in streamer.

The innards of the BDA-3.14 revealing the Raspberry Pi board.

The built-in streamer features up to 192kHz / 24 bit playback and connects to Tidal, Qobuz, Roon, Internet Radio and more.

Access to external hard disk drives via USB or a NAS is also available with full control via web enabled devices.

The Bryston BDA-3.14 has a Raspberry Pi incorporated in its circuitry. That’s why the DAC-streamer is named BDA-3.14 since π (pi) equals 3.14.

Tony said the BDA-3.14 also has a digital volume control making it possible to connect it directly to the amplifier without having to go through a preamp.

Lam Seng Fatt

emcallaway

« Reply #28 on: 22 Dec 2019, 03:57 pm »
Is Bryston considering integrating Amazon music in future updates to firmware or Manic Moose (whichever would be required) to stream directly from Amazon via ethernet?  Tidal doesn't offer hi-res that the BDA 3.14 could use (no MQA decoding), and Qobuz seems to have a limited catalog.  Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 22 Dec 2019, 04:01 pm »
Is Bryston considering integrating Amazon music in future updates to firmware or Manic Moose (whichever would be required) to stream directly from Amazon via ethernet?  Tidal doesn't offer hi-res that the BDA 3.14 could use (no MQA decoding), and Qobuz seems to have a limited catalog.  Thanks!

Hi

We are looking at the Amazon option going forward.
There is some talk that Tidal may offer higher res than 44.1 at some point to stay competitive.

james

sep297

« Reply #30 on: 24 Jun 2020, 05:29 pm »
Hi,

I have just received my BDA3.14 and I am fairly impressed so far, sounds very good with my BHA1. However I just have one question it is showing up as a BDA 3 in Roon and uncertified, is that the correct status.

Regards

Stuart

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 24 Jun 2020, 05:47 pm »
Hi Stuart,

Yes that is fine. 

We have to send a unit to ROON for official certification but we have been so backordered and with the virus it has been difficult to free up a unit.

Rest assured there will be no issues with ROON certification.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #32 on: 25 Jun 2020, 02:43 pm »
Hi,

I have just received my BDA3.14 and I am fairly impressed so far, sounds very good with my BHA1. However I just have one question it is showing up as a BDA 3 in Roon and uncertified, is that the correct status.

Regards

Stuart

Its in the process of being certified and we've already started making changes to the firmware to meet certification requirements.

Chris

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 26 Jun 2020, 05:07 pm »
Good afternoon James,

I received my BDA314, and it sounds amazing. I think there must be some differences between my my old BDA3 and this new unit. 

My digital never sounded smoother.

Best regards,
Jamie Irwin

WillyP

« Reply #34 on: 26 Jun 2020, 08:00 pm »
A question for James,

Are there differences in sound quality between an “old” BDA-3 and a new BDA-3.14? What Jamie wrote, intrigues me.

WillyP

mav52

« Reply #35 on: 26 Jun 2020, 11:44 pm »
A question for James,

Are there differences in sound quality between an “old” BDA-3 and a new BDA-3.14? What Jamie wrote, intrigues me.

WillyP

maybe Bryston finally opened up the filters for use. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 27 Jun 2020, 01:21 am »
The only difference is the 3.14 uses I2S to transfer the digital signal from the Pi to the DAC.

james

pbnmjk

« Reply #37 on: 29 Aug 2020, 06:27 am »
Hi,
I'm thinking to buy a BDA-3.14, but I have a RAID with around 70.000 music files, can BDA-3.14 work fine with this quantity?
Compared with the BDP-2 I'm using now, will the difference be too big in time to charge and move the files in comparison?
Thanks in advance.

sep297

« Reply #38 on: 9 Sep 2020, 04:02 pm »
Guys,

I know I have raised the point regarding formal Roon certification for the BDA 3.14. I have just had this Email from Roon

'What is changing?
Starting September 21st, Roon Ready devices that are uncertified will no longer have the ability to be enabled on the Audio Settings screen. When this change is made, uncertified devices will be discoverable, but cannot be Enabled for use with Roon.'

I will be OK as mine is already enabled, as long as nothing happens to force me to re enable it. I suppose this will also mean the new preamp wont be able to use Roon until the certification is complete.

Regards

Stuart

bbsupersport

« Reply #39 on: 18 Sep 2020, 03:25 pm »
Apparently, Amazon Music HD is offering a 90 day free trial. I've heard good things about it and would like to try it. I have the Bryston BDA-3.14. Has Bryston integrated Amazon Music HD into Manic Moose yet, like Tidal and Qobuz are?