Knob Rolling

rodneyAB

Knob Rolling
« on: 18 Dec 2003, 08:00 pm »
Hello...Ive been handcrafting one of kind Knobs for my upcoming TX102 project...had the idea to make several and be able to exchange one for the other...as mood shifts, to see what sonic differences I might get...Since my TX102 project will require a power cord, and a Power switch, I was wondering John, if you might know whether Seiden makes a rotary On/Off switch? or if you know of any other rotary on/off switches suitable as a power switch. Have been useing Toggle switches in the past.
thanx rodney

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Knob Rolling
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2003, 10:44 pm »
Hello!

I have always used toggles for power (when needed) but I can see with the 'knob plan' that a rotary would fit better. Although Seiden would maybe have something we could use my gut tells me we could find something less expensive than getting one switch sent over special.

Maybe the best places to look would be digkey, mouser, allied, and places like that. I spotted some electroswitch switches at mouser right off that were 2 position - D7 series with a 1 amp rating at 115V. Page 862 on the catalog - I am sure you could spot them at mouser.com and see if they'd maybe work for what you have in mind.

Many Thansk!

John

rodneyAB

Knob Rolling
« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2003, 06:53 am »
TYhanks John....for sending me over to mouser.com, I'd never been there before. Thats a dense-pack screeen lotss of product...I'm probably looking for a 2A 250V switch...like the non-descript short ball toggle I get at Home Depot for $4...I'll have to think a little bit longer about the rotary power switch. Made two more knobs today...used the SAWZALL with a 14TPI blade, a Bastard file, 400 grit sandpaper, a HOLESHOOTER, a 1/4 inch bit, a No 21 bit and a 10/32 tap...never had so much fun with brass before! I have the two Seiden switches mounted on a copper plate mock up so that I can get the feel of each brass knob  as I make it ...

Tonto Yoder

Knob Rolling
« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2003, 12:12 pm »
KNOBS?  KNOBS??
Did you say Knobs??  That reminded me of some high-end knobs tweaked with C37 lacquer for a not-insubstantial price.

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C&Category_Code=VOLUME&Product_Count=2

mgalusha

Knob Rolling
« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2003, 01:51 pm »
$500 for a knob! :nono: :roll: I've got a nice chunk of maple and have been thinking about making some knobs from that but havn't gotten around to it yet.