ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

Audioclyde

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1480 on: 25 Feb 2010, 07:27 pm »
Marco, I just received a replacement EML 5U4G from George last week (my 1st tube's failure was all my bungling fingers' fault), and it looks the same as my 1st at least to my eyes.

AB

« Reply #1481 on: 26 Feb 2010, 01:56 am »
So what's happening with the EMLs? They are just not lighting up - the heater filaments are shot?

Zybar's took out a fuse but funkmonkey's just didn't light. Are these two separate failure modes?

Has anyone checked the voltage and amperage in their TP's transformer's heater tap after an EML failure to be certain it's outputting the proper numbers?

I really would hate to think the EMLs are only good for 600 or so hours run within their ideal range.

valvesaglowin

• Industry Participant
  • Quality is no accident
    • TubesUSA
« Reply #1482 on: 26 Feb 2010, 03:19 am »
Hello Marco,
               The recent production of the 5U4G mesh tubes have the smaller glass envelopes. Many of the current tubes(some output tubes & all rectifiers)have had their bottle sized reduced to reflect the size similar to their original (ST shaped)counterparts. This in itself does not mean that the newer envelopes are superior to the older ones, just more in line with their size from a physical standpoint.

Best,

George

mca

« Reply #1483 on: 27 Feb 2010, 04:59 pm »
Can anyone that is using the Shuguang Treasure tubes with the Bolder adapters tell me how high the tube sticks up from the lid of the Transporter?

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1484 on: 27 Feb 2010, 05:20 pm »
Can anyone that is using the Shuguang Treasure tubes with the Bolder adapters tell me how high the tube sticks up from the lid of the Transporter?

I think the Bolder adapters are just a bit shorter than mine.  My treasures stick up just about exactly the height of the EML Mesh.  I'll have to measure and post later.

Bigfish

« Reply #1485 on: 27 Feb 2010, 05:26 pm »
So what's happening with the EMLs? They are just not lighting up - the heater filaments are shot?

Zybar's took out a fuse but funkmonkey's just didn't light. Are these two separate failure modes?

Has anyone checked the voltage and amperage in their TP's transformer's heater tap after an EML failure to be certain it's outputting the proper numbers?

I really would hate to think the EMLs are only good for 600 or so hours run within their ideal range.

The EML is rated for 5 volts at 3 amps.  My Transporter is past warranty and I had a local audio technician check the votage the transformer is sending to the EML Tube.  He measured 5.16 volts on my unit and recommended against adding a resistor to try and make the voltage any closer to 5 volts.  The technician said I could expect to get some voltage variation from the grid and that the tube should be able to handle the small variation my transformer was sending to it. 

If you decide to check the voltage being sent to your EML Rectifier please be careful or better still have someone that understands DC voltage check it for you.  If you are sending upwards of 6 volts to the EML tube you need to consider adding a resistor to drop the voltage or switch to a NOS tube because the EML is not going to tolerate it. 

Also, I don't know if any of us has enough experience to know what type of life to expect from the EML Mesh Rectifiers or from the Black Treasure Signal Tubes.  While they sound great, if we cannot achieve more than 1500 hours of life their cost performance ratio will be unacceptable for me.

Ken

dtz

« Reply #1486 on: 27 Feb 2010, 05:29 pm »
I think the Bolder adapters are just a bit shorter than mine.  My treasures stick up just about exactly the height of the EML Mesh.  I'll have to measure and post later.

dtz

« Reply #1487 on: 27 Feb 2010, 05:35 pm »
To mca's query: As best as I can measure the Black Treasures and Boulder adapter stick up 5 1/2" above the top of the Transporter. The new production run of the EML 5U4G Meshplate is 4 7/8". Hope this helps.

mca

« Reply #1488 on: 27 Feb 2010, 05:46 pm »
To mca's query: As best as I can measure the Black Treasures and Boulder adapter stick up 5 1/2" above the top of the Transporter. The new production run of the EML 5U4G Meshplate is 4 7/8". Hope this helps.

Yes it does, thank you!

modwright

« Reply #1489 on: 28 Feb 2010, 10:16 pm »
I just wanted to jump in here and assure you all that George and I are in regular contact and that we have, since inception of any issues with this tube in the transporter, updated every aspect of our PS design to insure that EVERYTHING is within spec.  Anyone who has asked about using the EML tube has been asked to verify the vintage and status of their unit before using.

George, myself and the EML factory have ALL been QUITE diligent in addressing all of these issues.  It is a great tube and just want to assure everyone of all of our respective commitment to providing a quality and reliable product.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

Syrah

« Reply #1490 on: 5 Mar 2010, 02:56 am »
Hi Dan.  Any issues with it in your tubed 9100 power supply?  I'm using it along with 7044s.

studley

Alex's adapters
« Reply #1491 on: 6 Mar 2010, 05:24 pm »
I just bought a pair of  Alex's 9 pin to octal adapters for my Black Treasures.   I've just tried inserting the BTs into the adapters and they will not push into and locate in the adapters so  they are little more than resting on the metal sockets in the adapters.  i have tried pushing as hard as I dare but I am worried about breaking the BTs!      I assume the pins on the BTs should push all the way home?   

Do you think the adapters are faulty?

Berto

Re: Alex's adapters
« Reply #1492 on: 6 Mar 2010, 11:21 pm »
I just bought a pair of  Alex's 9 pin to octal adapters for my Black Treasures.   I've just tried inserting the BTs into the adapters and they will not push into and locate in the adapters so  they are little more than resting on the metal sockets in the adapters.  i have tried pushing as hard as I dare but I am worried about breaking the BTs!      I assume the pins on the BTs should push all the way home?   

Do you think the adapters are faulty?

I reported a similar problem in my adaptors, eventually I got them to fit but real tight. On a side note, I put back the TS rounds for a lil while and they were still great but treasures sound more dynamic and they probably ended my quest for ultimate signal tube for MWTP (for now..lol)

funkmonkey

« Reply #1493 on: 11 Mar 2010, 06:57 pm »
Well, I miss the EML enough to try again.  Just sent an email to George requesting a new one.  Heres to hoping for a long lived EML this time around.  :)

jimhar

« Reply #1494 on: 26 Mar 2010, 01:52 am »
My 6 month old MW Transporter measured filament AC voltage for the rectifier tube as 5.25 V with 119 volts input; no tube in circuit (mains regulated by PS Audio regenerator). It appears to be a little hot coming off Dan's transformer, as specs call for 5 volts at the filament for the EML 5U4G tube. Maybe this high voltage is shorting the life of these tubes.

modwright

« Reply #1495 on: 26 Mar 2010, 07:08 pm »
The AC voltage to the rectifier filament needs to be measured with a tube IN the circuit.  This will draw down the actual measured voltage somewhat. A measurement without load is not accurate.

Thanks,

Dan W.

jimhar

« Reply #1496 on: 26 Mar 2010, 07:45 pm »
Thanks Dan. I was not sure how much draw down would occur with the filament load on the secondary. I'll have to open the case to remeasure that. However, I'm still concerned with some of the premature failures of these expensive rectifier tubes.

JerryH

« Reply #1497 on: 28 Mar 2010, 10:35 pm »
I hate to say it but my EML is dead now. It was in my SWLP with the latest power supply upgrade. I was actually more concerned with the other one I had in the Transporter. It would flash slightly on turn on. Now I have my one remaing EML back in the SWLP and back to the metal base in the Transporter.
I'm a bit nervous staying with the EML now. 

AB

« Reply #1498 on: 29 Mar 2010, 12:38 am »
I hate to say it but my EML is dead now. It was in my SWLP with the latest power supply upgrade. I was actually more concerned with the other one I had in the Transporter. It would flash slightly on turn on. Now I have my one remaing EML back in the SWLP and back to the metal base in the Transporter.
I'm a bit nervous staying with the EML now.

Bummer. How old was it? Where were you seeing the spark/flash? Did it take out a fuse?
Bummer.

dtz

« Reply #1499 on: 29 Mar 2010, 01:13 am »
My EML meshplate died prematurely as well. They lasted less than 8 months. Probably a little more than 500 hours. I spoke with George who suggested that the high voltage in my house (125-127V) could have been the cause of the EML's premature demise. He suggested a variac in my system. I dutifully bought 2 on EBay. One for each of my systems. I also bought 2 more replacement EML's. I asked Dan about the variac in the system and he said that the voltage in the TP can be reduced internally.  I since noticed that Squeezebox Server shows at least 5 volts less than what my meter measures from the variac, making me think that my TP is already set for this reduced voltage.  I don't know how I didn't notice this before as I'm sure I obsess about this stuff like the rest of you. If this voltage difference was there all along and I don't know why it wouldn't have been, it renders moot  the high voltage coming into my house as the Transporter would have been seeing 120-122 volts.

I have also tried most of the tube combinations recommended on this site. They all make a difference and they are all highly system dependent. With all the new tubes and all of the swapping I'm wondering if I will ever hear my system settled in and stable. Or if listening to tubes breaking in will be my lot in hi-fi hell.