ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #800 on: 16 Feb 2009, 07:51 pm »
I won a pair of RCA VT-231's from him Feb 3.  They arrived in Cleveland OH on the following Monday, Feb 9!!!!

rydenfan

« Reply #801 on: 16 Feb 2009, 07:52 pm »
He is single-handily supplying the whole Transporter crew  :wink: He is the same seller I got my Tung Sols from back on Feb 3.

Philistine

« Reply #802 on: 16 Feb 2009, 08:15 pm »
He is single-handily supplying the whole Transporter crew  :wink: He is the same seller I got my Tung Sols from back on Feb 3.

+1

Berto

« Reply #803 on: 16 Feb 2009, 08:22 pm »
I won a pair of RCA VT-231's from him Feb 3.  They arrived in Cleveland OH on the following Monday, Feb 9!!!!

Wow Ted that is quick, and It makes me even happier to know that both you and rydenfan speak highly of the tubes you have recieved from him. Esp considering I went for same rca vt-231's and tung sol round plates based on your opinions, really look fwd to them now aa

Bigfish

« Reply #804 on: 16 Feb 2009, 08:50 pm »
I think the NOS 6SN7 tube dealers owe Ted, David and George commission for creating a market for these tubes in the Transporter.  :lol: :thumb:

Ken

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #805 on: 16 Feb 2009, 10:33 pm »
I think the NOS 6SN7 tube dealers owe Ted, David and George commission for creating a market for these tubes in the Transporter.  :lol: :thumb:

Ken

Thanks...and TubesUSA owes you, Rob, etc some finders fees for the EML's.   :thumb:

Berto

« Reply #806 on: 17 Feb 2009, 12:13 am »
      Guys I just had the pleasure of meeting w/George for the last 30 or so mins, my EXTREMELY local EML distributor. I emailed George today to order thinking it might take a month and here I am listening and loving this new tube a few hrs later.
      I knew when he knocked on my door sporting a NY Yankees cap and and hand delivering a big beautiful EML box,  I would like him.  Very professional and knowledgable , we listened to some good tunes as he gave me some very good advice.  Just a class act!
      Although only 100hrs on MWTP, that GE rectifier is history except for dual with the stock transporter after 200hrs for all of an hour probably.  Almost pointless since I'm enjoying my EML way too much already, but I did say I would do it.
      I'm amazed , the EML (mesh version)immediately transformed my MWTP into a much better component.  Although still not broken in, the thinness is GONE! The musical resolution has increased greatly and just VERY impressed how much of a change this tube has made.  The mesh version I read on here is more laid back, but with my Merlins, works great.
     Now the EML will break in with the MWTP and should settle in nicely by the time I get the Octals with TS round plates in there ,  wondering how much better this is gonna get :drool:

Philistine

« Reply #807 on: 17 Feb 2009, 12:22 am »
      Guys I just had the pleasure of meeting w/George, my EXTREMELY local EML distributor. I emailed George today to order thinking it might take a month and here I am listening and loving this new tube a few hrs later.
      I knew when he knocked on my door sporting a NY Yankees cap and and hand delivering a big beautiful EML box,  I would like him.
      Although only 100hrs on MWTP, that GE rectifier is history except for dual with the stock transporter after 200hrs for all of an hour probably.  Almost pointless since I'm enjoying my EML way too much already, but I did say I would do it.
      The EML (mesh version)immediately transformed my MWTP into a much better component.  Although still not broken in, the thinness is GONE! The musical resolution has increased greatly and just very impressed how much of a change this tube has made.  The mesh version I read on here is more laid back, but with my Merlins, works great.
     Now the EML will break in with the MWTP and should settle in nicely by the time I get the Octals with TS round plates in there ,  wondering how much better this is gonna get :drool:

I've spoken to George a number of times over the phone, he's a pleasure to do business with and very professional.
All of us that have the EML have never taken it out since we got it - it does everything so well and makes the TP sound even more musical, I too can't believe it can get any better.
Ted tells us that the EML coupled with the 6SN7's are the killer well, by the end of the month, a few more of us will be enjoying this combo :drool:.
What comes next?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #808 on: 17 Feb 2009, 12:34 am »

Ted tells us that the EML coupled with the 6SN7's are the killer well, by the end of the month, a few more of us will be enjoying this combo :drool:.
What comes next?

Guess we'll lock the thread!   :lol:

Power cords!!! 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #809 on: 17 Feb 2009, 12:36 am »
Guess we'll lock the thread!   :lol:

Power cords!!! 

The Kaplan Cable 3amp conditioner cord is excellent on the Modwright TP.   aa

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #810 on: 17 Feb 2009, 12:44 am »
As is the Lessloss.  I've found a new fave, thanks to David, the non-ferrite version of the Cardas Golden Ref pc.  Wow, great wide bandwidth yet smooth and lush.  No sense of rolloff or accentuated bumps anywhwere.  Two on my Spectrons, one on my 36.5 (oops, i keep forgetting, that one's David's.    8) ).  I have a couple SR Tesla cords in for demo now, the active T2 and T3.  I will see if either knocks off the Cardas, then try the Cardas on the TP.

Philistine

« Reply #811 on: 17 Feb 2009, 01:25 am »
Moving away from power cords  :nono:

One thing I do notice about the TP with the EML tube is that I'm starting to enjoy live concerts more than studio recordings.  For example the live bonus disc with Adele's CD, 19, I found was on the coarse/shrill sound, now it sounds like you're on the front row at the club in which the recording was made.  Anyone else have the same experience?  Or any other topic to move away from pc's that we can share?

Bigfish

« Reply #812 on: 17 Feb 2009, 01:34 am »

One thing I do notice about the TP with the EML tube is that I'm starting to enjoy live concerts more than studio recordings.  For example the live bonus disc with Adele's CD, 19, I found was on the coarse/shrill sound, now it sounds like you're on the front row at the club in which the recording was made.  Anyone else have the same experience?  Or any other topic to move away from pc's that we can share?

A couple of my favorites with the EML Mesh tube are live recordings:  Grateful Dead - "The Closing of Winterland" and The Dave Matthews Band - "Weekend on The Rocks."  I was thinking when I listened to these recordings today that they sounded really special, just as if I were attending the concerts. 

Ken

Berto

« Reply #813 on: 17 Feb 2009, 02:08 am »

A couple of my favorites with the EML Mesh tube are live recordings:  Grateful Dead - "The Closing of Winterland" and The Dave Matthews Band - "Weekend on The Rocks."  I was thinking when I listened to these recordings today that they sounded really special, just as if I were attending the concerts. 

Ken

Since Jerry Garcia stopped performing at least on earth, I do look forward to his re-incarnation in my room, really enjoyed a live Traffic at the fillmore show today like never before. With the EML The presentation of a live event def takes on the most "you are there" feeling Ive had , short of being at the show. I'm BIG into live music find alot of good quality stuff on etree if you sift through it, you can attend a show and then DL it next morn in great quality. Just saw Phil Lesh for several nites in nov.at the nokia theater times sq nyc, warren haynes showed up one nite, Joan Baez another ,  look forward to re-living those shows as well.  :D

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #814 on: 17 Feb 2009, 02:28 am »
Wow, that is wild!  Wild, that you guys are talking about live recordings and the EML (and octals   :drool:).  I noticed this tonight and realized I was really enjoying ambiance a whole lot more...live recordings from the Village Vanguard (Bill Evans, etc.), Patricia Barber stuff (Live Fortnight in Paris, Companion), a couple of Mapleshade live jazz recordings, etc.   :thumb:

Phil, as el presidente I will officially say that this tube rolling thread cannot get hijacked by power cord discussions, ok?   :lol:  Hell, you were the one who asked the musical question "what comes next". 

rydenfan

« Reply #815 on: 17 Feb 2009, 02:40 am »

The Kaplan Cable 3amp conditioner cord is excellent on the Modwright TP.   aa

Paul's cables are excellent indeed  :thumb: I use the TelWire on my TP and like it very much.

rydenfan

« Reply #816 on: 17 Feb 2009, 02:42 am »
I look forward to my EML shipping out tomorrow. I certainly have plenty of live music for it. Even more if I run the digital out of my Otari pro DAT deck and into the TP as a DAC  :thumb:

I really need to start converting the 2000+ DATs I have  :duh:

rydenfan

« Reply #817 on: 17 Feb 2009, 02:49 am »
As is the Lessloss.  I've found a new fave, thanks to David, the non-ferrite version of the Cardas Golden Ref pc.  Wow, great wide bandwidth yet smooth and lush.  No sense of rolloff or accentuated bumps anywhwere.  Two on my Spectrons, one on my 36.5 (oops, i keep forgetting, that one's David's.    8) ).  I have a couple SR Tesla cords in for demo now, the active T2 and T3.  I will see if either knocks off the Cardas, then try the Cardas on the TP.

Glad to see my cord is feeling right at home  :wink: the Cardas Golden Reference (non-ferrite version) is certainly a killer cord. Like ted says, I find it extremely dynamic with huge bandwidth and soundstage while having a very natural warmth. I am using on one my amp and one on my pre.

Philistine

« Reply #818 on: 17 Feb 2009, 03:05 am »
Wow, that is wild!  Wild, that you guys are talking about live recordings and the EML (and octals   :drool:).  I noticed this tonight and realized I was really enjoying ambiance a whole lot more...live recordings from the Village Vanguard (Bill Evans, etc.), Patricia Barber stuff (Live Fortnight in Paris, Companion), a couple of Mapleshade live jazz recordings, etc.   :thumb:

Phil, as el presidente I will officially say that this tube rolling thread cannot get hijacked by power cord discussions, ok?   :lol:  Hell, you were the one who asked the musical question "what comes next". 

"what comes next' = what tubes come next 8)  Didn't give you guys the license to blow tube smoke :bounce:

We'll have to get you and David one of those amps with the non-detachable power cords, just think of how much extra tube rolling cash you're going to have after selling all those power cords :thumb:

Joking apart, I was serious about the live music - the TP is scary good now.
I had a session with the 6N6P's tonight, I believe Thalvor introduced these, they match very well with the EML.  They have the detail of the 6N1P's and the EML seems to take out the harshness, not sure what prolonged listening will reveal but a few hours this evening and they sound wonderful.

Audioclyde

« Reply #819 on: 17 Feb 2009, 10:32 pm »
I just received some 1960's Svetlana 5U4G/5C3S Black Plate rectifier tubes that I purchased from Nikolay off ebay (his username is "xryn" on ebay).  These came highly recommended to me for my amp by one of the well-respected tube gurus over on Audio Asylum.  I just popped one into my MW Transporter, and a pair into my Cary integrated amp--after 10 minutes I'm pretty darn impressed, especially considering the price (around $14/tube shipped from Russia).  I'm been running a Tung Sol 5U4GB and a Mullard gz 32 in my Transporter--I'm hearing a more solid bass line, with great detail and smoothness with these Russian tubes, and they aren't even warmed up yet!  Maybe not quite as smooth as the Mullard, but the notes have more attack and snap.

I'm not saying they are on the level of the EML mesh (I have one on its way  :icon_lol:) as I haven't heard it yet, but for anyone looking for a really cheap alternative, you might consider giving these Svetlana's a try!

No affiliation with the seller, no accomodations for positive review--just wanted to share a potential bargain.

Randy