ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #740 on: 10 Feb 2009, 12:14 pm »
Guess you like it then Ted?

Ken (Bigfish) pointed me to this link:
http://thetubestore.com/6sn7types.html

Interesting to hear what the current production varieties sound like.

Even without the 6SN7, just the EML, the TP to me doesn't sound analog or digital anymore - it just sounds like music.
Before the EML I listened to the live CD that comes with Adele 19 and it sounded a little bright, now it sounds like your at the venue.  Can't wait to get my 6SN7's  :duh:

Phil,

I have tried the EH, Sovtek, and Tung-Sol in different amps and while the EH were the best of that group, they most certainly were not in the same class as the NOS tubes.

George

Philistine

« Reply #741 on: 10 Feb 2009, 03:05 pm »
Guess you like it then Ted?

Ken (Bigfish) pointed me to this link:
http://thetubestore.com/6sn7types.html

Interesting to hear what the current production varieties sound like.

Even without the 6SN7, just the EML, the TP to me doesn't sound analog or digital anymore - it just sounds like music.
Before the EML I listened to the live CD that comes with Adele 19 and it sounded a little bright, now it sounds like your at the venue.  Can't wait to get my 6SN7's  :duh:

Phil,

I have tried the EH, Sovtek, and Tung-Sol in different amps and while the EH were the best of that group, they most certainly were not in the same class as the NOS tubes.

George

Found this link for the 6SN7 virgins (myself included):

http://www.tubeseller.com/ratings.html

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #742 on: 10 Feb 2009, 03:40 pm »
Found this link for the 6SN7 virgins (myself included):

http://www.tubeseller.com/ratings.html

Yep, that's the one we have all been using for years.  Pretty much spot on from my standpoint.

If you want to better understand the 6SN7/VT-231 tube and get some really good info, here is a good link as well:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/6sn7-identification-guide-209782/

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #743 on: 10 Feb 2009, 04:04 pm »
Yes, the Chimera Labs write-up seems to be the 6SN7 gospel.  The no. 1 ranked tube, the Tung Sol round plate, is the tube George loaned to David and I, and is the real deal.  It's expensive ($450/pair).  No 2 on the list is the VT-231 RCA (aka JAN CRC) and I recently bought a pair of those from an Ebay seller for $70/pair shipped.  They are warming up in my TP currently.  I saw a pair of No.3 (VT-231 Sylvanias, aka JAN-CHS) for about $160/pair.   So, the esoteric tubes in this family aren't all ridiculous money, and some other nice ones down the list are $40-50/pair.

rydenfan

« Reply #744 on: 10 Feb 2009, 05:19 pm »
As Ted and George know as well the octal plate tubes are truly the way to go. I know there has been a little bit of concern over the price of some of the 6SN7's but I am telling you guys it is worth it. People have spent just as much on rectifiers, and IMO, there is a more significant change going to the round plates then between the rectifiers. Also, there are some excellent 6SN7's for not very much. The ones Ted bought for $70 are supposed to be very good and I am sure he will comment on them once they are broken in.

I have yet to hear the EML yet as all you guys bought them up to fast for me to get one  :wink: but I have one on order and hope will will ship no later than next week.

kenreau

« Reply #745 on: 10 Feb 2009, 06:25 pm »
The combination of EML mesh plate 5U4G and octal adapter 6SN7's ...is magical.  It has pushed my MW Transporter into a new musical realm that I am very excited about.  The piece de resistance is the combination of EML and Tung Sol round plates (thanks George/Zybar for the loan, via David).

I, for one, am not going back to nine pins on the TP.  I'm done tube rolling in that category.  I also may be done tube rolling rectifiers on the TP.  The EML seems to add sanity and balance to every signal tube choice. (Note:  I'm still concerned that it glows too brightly, but Dan assures me we're not driving it too hard).  I'm nowhere near done tube rolling the 6SN7's however....unless I spring for those round plates, that is.   :drool:

Net/net, if asked which gives bigger bang for the buck I would say the octal adapter jump.. It's quite a revelation, and brings many new tubes into the roll mix.  But.....the EML move is completely additive, and the combo is killer  Sorry. :D

Wow, I buy some sweet RCA Cleartop 6GC7s in January, get buried in work for a few weeks and you guys have moved on to octal adapters with 6SN7 signal tubes. :o 

I'm all for it, in the holy grail quest of audiophile neurosis, just surprised at such a departure. 

I have to wonder if there might be some sonic degradation by utilizing the adaptor route, as might be experienced with other signal adaptors (xlr-to-rca, bnc-to-rca, etc.).  Has anyone already explored getting MWI to retrofit a nice octal base to the circuit board?

Regarding the new EML 5U4G rectifier king, I about choked on the $235 price tag.  I currently have a nice black base MB GZ34 that I paid $75 for.  Is the EML really worth the upgrade $$$?   From what I've read so far, it sounds like my money would be better spent going the octal route?  {I have the bybee/power mod}

Thx,
Kenreau

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #746 on: 10 Feb 2009, 06:35 pm »
As the one who started this octal silliness (and now am loving the sound) and as unofficial el presidente of this tube rolling club    :)  I have an official email into Dan asking about the costs and possibilities of an octal socket replacement.  However, two things:
1) the adapters sound great to my ears..Wayne is the man!  They also allow effortless re-engineering back to the standard MW TP.
2) Dan and company are up to the ears with their current projects, and so I doubt a quick turnaround.

But I did ask.  I'll report back.

Bigfish

« Reply #747 on: 10 Feb 2009, 08:21 pm »
The combination of EML mesh plate 5U4G and octal adapter 6SN7's ...is magical.  It has pushed my MW Transporter into a new musical realm that I am very excited about.  The piece de resistance is the combination of EML and Tung Sol round plates (thanks George/Zybar for the loan, via David).

I, for one, am not going back to nine pins on the TP.  I'm done tube rolling in that category.  I also may be done tube rolling rectifiers on the TP.  The EML seems to add sanity and balance to every signal tube choice. (Note:  I'm still concerned that it glows too brightly, but Dan assures me we're not driving it too hard).  I'm nowhere near done tube rolling the 6SN7's however....unless I spring for those round plates, that is.   :drool:

Net/net, if asked which gives bigger bang for the buck I would say the octal adapter jump.. It's quite a revelation, and brings many new tubes into the roll mix.  But.....the EML move is completely additive, and the combo is killer  Sorry. :D

Wow, I buy some sweet RCA Cleartop 6GC7s in January, get buried in work for a few weeks and you guys have moved on to octal adapters with 6SN7 signal tubes. :o 

I'm all for it, in the holy grail quest of audiophile neurosis, just surprised at such a departure. 

I have to wonder if there might be some sonic degradation by utilizing the adaptor route, as might be experienced with other signal adaptors (xlr-to-rca, bnc-to-rca, etc.).  Has anyone already explored getting MWI to retrofit a nice octal base to the circuit board?

Regarding the new EML 5U4G rectifier king, I about choked on the $235 price tag.  I currently have a nice black base MB GZ34 that I paid $75 for.  Is the EML really worth the upgrade $$$?   From what I've read so far, it sounds like my money would be better spent going the octal route?  {I have the bybee/power mod}

Thx,
Kenreau

Ken:

I cannot speak for the upgrade to the 6SN7's as I will be experimenting with the holy grail of signal tubes after I obtain adapters.  However, I made the change to the EML -5U4G Mesh Rectifier in early December from a Metal Base GZ-34.  I have gone back twice and ran comparisons of the MB to the EML and the EML is the clear winner.  I have the full monty ModWright Transporter with Bybees and Turbo Upgrade.  If you are going to embark on evaluating the 6SN7 signal tubes I cannot imagine you will not eventually want to try the EML-5U4G as it is such a step up from the previous best rectifier, the MB-GZ-34.

Good Luck,

Ken

kenreau

« Reply #748 on: 10 Feb 2009, 08:41 pm »
Ken:

I cannot speak for the upgrade to the 6SN7's as I will be experimenting with the holy grail of signal tubes after I obtain adapters.  However, I made the change to the EML -5U4G Mesh Rectifier in early December from a Metal Base GZ-34.  I have gone back twice and ran comparisons of the MB to the EML and the EML is the clear winner.  I have the full monty ModWright Transporter with Bybees and Turbo Upgrade.  If you are going to embark on evaluating the 6SN7 signal tubes I cannot imagine you will not eventually want to try the EML-5U4G as it is such a step up from the previous best rectifier, the MB-GZ-34.

Good Luck,

Ken

Ken,

I don't know what it is, but I really like the sound of your name... :wink:

Thanks for the recommendations.  Aaagggghhhh...that's the sound of my wallet wailing.  I guess I will need to add these both to my wish list.  Now I just need to wait to see how Fedzilla and the tax man is going to treat me this next month and get my priorities in order.

And, Ted, aka u.e.p., thanks for running the octal socket replacement up the MWI flag pole.  Anxious to hear the feedback.

Thanks folks,
Ken

orientalexpress

« Reply #749 on: 10 Feb 2009, 11:33 pm »
i should stick to collecting stamps ,Is alot cheaper then Tubes rolling  :duh:,i love the EML btw.

lapsan

NickS

« Reply #750 on: 11 Feb 2009, 02:34 pm »
Came across a fellow in Taiwan who makes a variety of tube adapters including this octal to noval:

It is called a "6SN7 to 6CG7 adapter" and measures 29mm wide and 25mm high.

What do you guys think of this?

aa

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #751 on: 11 Feb 2009, 03:06 pm »
It looks like it would work.  1.14 inches wide, an inch tall.  It would remain under the lid opening slightly.  Phil and I would still need to have our TP lid holes enlarged (and you know how painful that can be..... :drums:. rim shot ).  I'm digging the sound of Wayne's V1, albeit slightly unsturdy prototype.   Nick, can you tell how much$$.  Shipping?

NickS

« Reply #752 on: 11 Feb 2009, 03:30 pm »
Ted,

These adapters are very reasonably priced (low twenties, each) and shipping is fixed at $13.  I am reluctant to put anyone's email on a public page but feel free to PM me for contact information for the fellow who makes these.  I have ordered, but not yet received a pair. 

While they don't have Bybees, rare earth element wire, strontium solder and haven't been cryo'd in liquid nitrogen for 300 years, the business ends of the adapter appear to made of common pins and sockets and the casing looks to be solid.  And they are available now.

Best,

Nick

rydenfan

« Reply #753 on: 11 Feb 2009, 04:00 pm »
Nick, my concern is that they are a 6SN7 to 6CG7 adapter anf what you want is the opposite of that, 6CG7 to 6SN7. I just want to make sure that you get the correct pin layout. you want 9 to 8, not 8 to 9

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #754 on: 11 Feb 2009, 04:02 pm »
Nick, my concern is that they are a 6SN7 to 6CG7 adapter anf what you want is the opposite of that, 6CG7 to 6SN7. I just want to make sure that you get the correct pin layout.

The picture is what we want, David, nine male pins, eight female socket.  The way it is called "6sn7 to 6cg7" may mean "put a 6sn7 tube into a 6CG7 socket"...dunno.  But with the language issue you are right to ask again, cuz it's a bit confusing.

rydenfan

« Reply #755 on: 11 Feb 2009, 04:11 pm »
Cool, just wanted to make sure Nick was getting the right thing, thanks.

the size of them is nice  aa but they will make your EML look even bigger  :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #756 on: 11 Feb 2009, 04:30 pm »
It looks like it would work.  1.14 inches wide, an inch tall.  It would remain under the lid opening slightly.  Phil and I would still need to have our TP lid holes enlarged (and you know how painful that can be..... :drums:. rim shot ).  I'm digging the sound of Wayne's V1, albeit slightly unsturdy prototype.   Nick, can you tell how much$$.  Shipping?

Ted,

Not sure about the v1 adapters from Wayne, but v2 (David's) and v3 (mine) are rock solid and I would have no issues using them indefinitely.  Wayne definitely did a good job with them.   :thumb:

Later this week Wayne should have an even better version available to us to test out and evaluate.

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #757 on: 11 Feb 2009, 04:34 pm »
I agree about Wayne's work (Wayne's world?).  He is getting my money, regardless.  He put it out there.

JG2

« Reply #758 on: 11 Feb 2009, 06:06 pm »
I spoke with Dan regarding the 9 pin to octal adapters. Wayne's early versions appear to place the tube sufficiently above the unit to allow heat to escape from the chassis with some clearance around the base for ventilation.

The adapter Nick found looks like it may work and perhaps be a good fit but would likely close off the 2 output tube holes and not allow sufficient convective ventilation. You may want to increase the diameter to the size of the rectifier hole ( about 1 5/8”) to allow adequate ventilation.  Failure to do so could increase heat inside the unit and thus void our warranty.

rydenfan

« Reply #759 on: 11 Feb 2009, 06:41 pm »
John, thanks for the note as that makes good snese.

Like George and Ted, I am with Wayne all the way  :thumb: His adapters are very well constructed and he is putting considerable time into making them perfect.