ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #700 on: 3 Feb 2009, 03:11 am »
Man, I need to get in on some of this 6SN7 swapping...anyone have any quads they'd like to send out for a loan?  I have some RCA Grey Glass and KenRad Black Glass (both VT231's and very nice tubes) I'll send for a demo swap...

Sorry Art, I only have pairs.

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #701 on: 3 Feb 2009, 03:14 am »
Man, I need to get in on some of this 6SN7 swapping...anyone have any quads they'd like to send out for a loan?  I have some RCA Grey Glass and KenRad Black Glass (both VT231's and very nice tubes) I'll send for a demo swap...

Sorry Art, I only have pairs.

George

Same here.  Sorry.

arthurs

« Reply #702 on: 3 Feb 2009, 03:48 am »
Yeah, my VAC's use 4 per amp 6SN7 (2 drivers and 2 input/inverters) so it makes tube rolling serious business!  Still not as bad as the KT88's - 8 per side!

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #703 on: 5 Feb 2009, 01:10 am »
My EML mesh plate showed up today.  It's a beautiful tube!     :drool:    Right now I'm thawing it out before i install it.  The package was sitting out, on a snow-covered bench, all day (wrapped in USPS plastic bag).  Anyway.....all you EML vets out there:  I have little experience with new-new tubes, so how many hours before it is worthy of serious listening?  Thx
Ted

Edit: 
A couple of pics.  Wayne's V1 octal adapters now look reasonably small.  :)   

The glow from the EML mesh plate is somethin' else.  8)

Philistine

« Reply #704 on: 5 Feb 2009, 01:41 am »
Doesn't need much time Ted - I heard a difference straight away, and started to pick up the nuances over the next few days after installation.
It's refreshing after all of those 50's tubes to get a rectifier that's 21st century, and yes, it does look better in the flesh.

funkmonkey

« Reply #705 on: 5 Feb 2009, 01:51 am »
:drool:  Nice photos Ted.   :thumb:

All this EML love is making me consider cutting a hole in the top of my TV stand to accommodate the giant!  :green:

Bigfish

« Reply #706 on: 5 Feb 2009, 02:05 am »
Ted:

I really hope you enjoy the EML-5U4G Mesh Tube.  It is in my Transporter to stay until you boys find a new must have Rectifier! :lol:

Ken

JerryH

« Reply #707 on: 5 Feb 2009, 01:29 pm »
Got mine yesterday too. Really nice right off. Seemed to open up after a couple hours even more. A big improvement over the brown base mullard I'd been using.
George deserves his stellar reputation.. really quick to get here.

NickS

« Reply #708 on: 5 Feb 2009, 01:39 pm »
My EML mesh plate showed up today.  It's a beautiful tube!     :drool:    Right now I'm thawing it out before i install it.  The package was sitting out, on a snow-covered bench, all day (wrapped in USPS plastic bag).  Anyway.....all you EML vets out there:  I have little experience with new-new tubes, so how many hours before it is worthy of serious listening?  Thx
Ted

Well Ted, it appears that you are first up with the "full monty" MWTP -> Hypermod/Octals/EML.  Once your new EML is run in a bit, let us all know how it sounds...

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #709 on: 5 Feb 2009, 03:08 pm »

Well Ted, it appears that you are first up with the "full monty" MWTP -> Hypermod/Octals/EML.  Once your new EML is run in a bit, let us all know how it sounds...

Will do.  And the nice Vt-231's from Zybar, via David, are due to arrive today!    :drool:

I listened last night and it surely changed over the course of a couple of hours.  The cold start had a tubbiness to the bass that was basically gone by the end of the night.  The sweetness, the organic quality to Bill Frisell's guitar, to Hammond organ, to Charlie Haden's bass, was palpable already.  So was the increase in soundstage depth, albeit slight (my ss depth is already a strong point).  I'm gonna hold off a full comparo until 100 hrs (weekend or Monday). 

Philistine

« Reply #710 on: 5 Feb 2009, 06:00 pm »

Will do.  And the nice Vt-231's from Zybar, via David, are due to arrive today!    :drool:

I listened last night and it surely changed over the course of a couple of hours.  The cold start had a tubbiness to the bass that was basically gone by the end of the night.  The sweetness, the organic quality to Bill Frisell's guitar, to Hammond organ, to Charlie Haden's bass, was palpable already.  So was the increase in soundstage depth, albeit slight (my ss depth is already a strong point).  I'm gonna hold off a full comparo until 100 hrs (weekend or Monday). 

When I kick back and listen to the EML the word I find that initially comes to mind is analogue, but this doesn't quite fit.  The word that does fit is organic - this to me embodies what this tube adds to the TP.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #711 on: 5 Feb 2009, 06:07 pm »

Very interested to see if you feel the same as David in regards to the Tung Sol Black Glass Round Plates.

I should have a set of adapters tomorrow and will have some fun this weekend.

George

Bigfish

« Reply #712 on: 5 Feb 2009, 11:31 pm »
Guys:

Please keep the comments coming concerning your experiences with the 6SN7 tubes.  If I were you guys and I had a pair of the Tung Sol Round Plates I also would want to how this ultimate 6SN7 would perform.  Like some of the others I am sitting on the side lines on the 6SN7's because the round plates are just too insanely expensive! 

Thanks,

Ken

rydenfan

« Reply #713 on: 5 Feb 2009, 11:46 pm »
Ken, I was fortunate to listen to quite a few different 6SN7's over the last week or so. Yes, the Tung Sol's were my favorite; however, all the 6SN7's I listened to were very good. My second favorite pair was actually a pair of RCA's and I dont believe they are very expensive at all. I believe Ted scored a pair for around $70. I can tell you that while I ultimately liked the Tung Sols enough to throw down $370 every pair was good. Furthermore, and probably more importantly for those on the sidelines, I would rate even my least favorite pair of 6SN7's about my favorite 6CG7's.

funkmonkey

« Reply #714 on: 6 Feb 2009, 01:04 am »
I would rate even my least favorite pair of 6SN7's about my favorite 6CG7's.

David could you clarify this last statement a little?  thanks.

Philistine

« Reply #715 on: 6 Feb 2009, 01:17 am »
Guys:

Please keep the comments coming concerning your experiences with the 6SN7 tubes.  If I were you guys and I had a pair of the Tung Sol Round Plates I also would want to how this ultimate 6SN7 would perform.  Like some of the others I am sitting on the side lines on the 6SN7's because the round plates are just too insanely expensive! 

Thanks,

Ken

Like your new avatar Ken :thumb:

Bigfish

« Reply #716 on: 6 Feb 2009, 01:32 am »
David and Ted:

As Nick and Phil have previously stated it will be interesting to know your reactions to the EML Mesh Rectifier with the 6SN7's. 

If the octal tubes turn out the be the way to go we might should ask Dan if we could convert the tube heater voltage to 12 volts?  This would allow us to use the 12SN7's which are sonically identical to the 6SN7's at about 50% of the price.  I know that the Mapletree Preamp has a switch on the back of the unit that allows the user to select their choice of the 6SN7 or 12SN7 tubes.

Thanks again for all of your investigation into the best sounding tubes for the Transporter.  So very many of us have benefited by your exploration!   :beer:

Ken

rydenfan

« Reply #717 on: 6 Feb 2009, 01:46 am »
I would rate even my least favorite pair of 6SN7's about my favorite 6CG7's.

David could you clarify this last statement a little?  thanks.

I meant above my favorite 6SN7's  :duh: sorry for the typo...

I was trying to say that even my least favorite pair of the 6SN7's I preferred over my favorite of 6CG7's

funkmonkey

« Reply #718 on: 6 Feb 2009, 02:35 am »
Thanks bud, I thought so but wanted to be sure...

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #719 on: 6 Feb 2009, 10:23 pm »
Guys:

Thanks,

Ken

Ok, I installed the adapters from Wayne about 1 hour ago and used a set of RCA Gray Glass VT-231's from the 1940's to start with.  The change in sound between these 6SN7's and the 6H30DR "Super Tubes" is best explained by this photo comparison:

6H30DR "Super Tubes"

RCA Gray Glass VT-231's

Both are easy to listen, sound great, and can be enjoyed for hours and hours, but the 6SN7's are more voluptuous and full sounding, without losing any detail, speed, or clarity.  The 6SN7's also have a more solid feeling in the bass and provide a stronger foundation for the rest of the music.

Of course, these are just my initial thoughts and impressions and I reserve the right to change my opinion as I get more time under my belt.

George