ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

valvesaglowin

• Industry Participant
  • Quality is no accident
    • TubesUSA
Emission Labs 5U4G's have arrived!
« Reply #640 on: 25 Jan 2009, 12:46 am »
Hello All:
          Thank you for all of your emails about the availability of the EML 5U4G mesh. We received a shipment today. We are also expecting more over the next couple of days as well. I will try my best to accomodate everyone, but quantities are limited. Please reply to info@tubesusa.com.

Best,

George

rydenfan

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #641 on: 27 Jan 2009, 07:15 pm »
Wayne's adapters are a major break through in tube rolling the Transporter  :drool:

Thanks to George's kindness I was able to roll some 6SN7's into the TP last night.  :D

Here is what I said to George and Ted last night:
WOW! I really was not prepared for that drastic a change   I have only tried the Raytheon VT-231's (dual mica, flat plates) and there is so much more heft and weight in the midrange it is crazy. The tubes are equally as detailed, if not more so, than my RCA Cleartop 6CG7's but there is so much more midrange. It will take me a bit to get used to it as it is so different than what I have been hearing, but if really gives you that singer in the room type feeling. I also find the tubes to have a huge soundstage. More to come but wanted to give you the initial update.

I firmly believe the 6SN7's will be the way to go in the TP for me. Last night took my midrange, detail, imaging, and soundstaging to another level. I am sure some of this is due to the increase in plate size, as they almost look like mini rectifier tubes. At times it feels a bit heavy to me through the midrange but I think I just need to adjust to what I am hearing. There are also so many tube options in the 6SN7 family so we have a lot of flexability. I am quite excited for what this brings to the TP  :thumb:

Wayne1

« Reply #642 on: 27 Jan 2009, 08:10 pm »
I really glad you like them and that they fit  :D

Ted's Transporter has a smaller opening cut out for the signal tubes. Both zybar and rydenfan said the hole in their casing was larger.

I was still worried because the diameter of the adapter is 26mm. Which is just a smidge wider than the 1 inch opening Ted measured.

Anyway, I'm working on the pair for zybar now. I am looking forward to all of your comments as you continue to roll 6SN7s and try them with different rectifiers.

rydenfan

« Reply #643 on: 27 Jan 2009, 08:38 pm »
Wayne they are great and there is plenty of room. I will try and throw a few pics up when I get home tonight. I look forward to Zybar's comments on them.

rydenfan

« Reply #644 on: 28 Jan 2009, 01:43 am »
Here are a few pics with my 6CG7's and then the Tung Sol black glass 6SN7's with the adapters

Philistine

« Reply #645 on: 28 Jan 2009, 07:51 pm »
Just received my Emission Labs 5U4G Mesh.

After all of those NOS and used tubes it's great to see nice packaging:

Where's my twin?

Much bigger than I expected but looks gorgeous!

Glowing nicely!

First impressions are very positive - I'll give it some time to get accustomed to it and any burn in time, but I'm hoping this will replace my metal base GZ34 and help find a lower cost replacement.

NB
This came from George Lenz at Tubes USA, I can thoroughly recommend working with him - he'll give you an honest position on availability and he's professional to deal with.
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2009, 09:41 pm by Philistine »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #646 on: 28 Jan 2009, 07:55 pm »
Wow, that glow is very very kewl (sorry, poor simile).

And listening to sides 3 and 4 of the White Album no less.   :thumb:

The size will balance out the tall Wayne octal adapters!

rydenfan

« Reply #647 on: 28 Jan 2009, 08:10 pm »
Looks great Phil  :thumb: Can't wait to see what you think of it...

gregeas

« Reply #648 on: 29 Jan 2009, 02:45 am »
I finally moved my MW TP to my home system out of the beach house, which doesn't get as much use in the winter. So now I have time to roll tubes, finally.

One interesting coincidence is that my headphone amp, the Woo Audio WA6, uses the same rectifier (5AR4) as the MW TP.

So my tube rolling possibilities just multiplied.

I bought a Sophia Electric 274B tube for the WA6, described on the Woo site as "a premium rectifier tube for a 5U4/5R4/5AR4 direct replacement with 3X longer plate structure." This tube makes a *big* improvement with the head amp. Any reason it would NOT work in the MW TP?

Second question. I tried an Amperex GZ34 metal base in the headphone amp, and the output sounded congested. Any reason not to try this tube in the MW TP?

Finally, can someone recommend a source for the DRs? I'm looking to score a pair to play with before I send the TP out again for the power supply mod. Now that the TP is in the home system I don't want to part with it...

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #649 on: 29 Jan 2009, 02:55 am »
http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/NOSTubes.html (use the tabs on bottom and choose 6H30.  the DR's are at the top.  he has 10 of them).

The Amperex metal base GZ34 is a great candidate for the TP.     :thumb:   I'm worried that the 274B is wrong.....Check with Dan.  Beautiful tube, though!   :)
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2009, 02:36 pm by ted_b »

Philistine

« Reply #650 on: 29 Jan 2009, 02:30 pm »

Ted - the EML tube not only looks great but sounds even better, it's very very addictive.
Another advantage I'm noticing is that the height of the tube is generating heat away from the TP, whereas my mb GZ43 generates heat closer to the TP - I'm noticing that the top case is running a lot cooler.  With the Octal converter's also adding height this will also function the same and reduce heat?  I understand that the top case functions as a heat sink for the tubes, but would assume that any mechanism to reduce heat has to be good?

As an earlier adopter I'm just a 1 inch guy also,  :(  so will need to get the job done before going down the Octal path.   

gregeas

« Reply #651 on: 29 Jan 2009, 03:10 pm »
http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/NOSTubes.html (use the tabs on bottom and choose 6H30.  the DR's are at the top.  he has 10 of them).

The Amperex metal base GZ34 is a great candidate for the TP.     :thumb:   I'm worried that the 274B is wrong.....Check with Dan.  Beautiful tube, though!   :)

Great... Thanks, Ted.

rydenfan

« Reply #652 on: 29 Jan 2009, 04:09 pm »

Ted - the EML tube not only looks great but sounds even better, it's very very addictive.
Another advantage I'm noticing is that the height of the tube is generating heat away from the TP, whereas my mb GZ43 generates heat closer to the TP - I'm noticing that the top case is running a lot cooler.  With the Octal converter's also adding height this will also function the same and reduce heat?  I understand that the top case functions as a heat sink for the tubes, but would assume that any mechanism to reduce heat has to be good?

As an earlier adopter I'm just a 1 inch guy also,  :(  so will need to get the job done before going down the Octal path.   

So you are really liking the tube Phil? Can you compare and contrast it to your metal base yet?

Philistine

« Reply #653 on: 29 Jan 2009, 05:34 pm »

So you are really liking the tube Phil? Can you compare and contrast it to your metal base yet?

David, I'm being a little cautious as I'm getting used to mods made to my amp and also like to absorb changes, as I always have an initial response to tube rolling changes and have (in the past) been known to change my opinion after living with different tubes for a longer period. I don't want to send you guys down the wrong path.  To put things in context I'm also a LASIK pioneer, they considered me unsuitable candidate initially as they claimed that I expected and demanded perfection which they couldn't guarantee - they were right, but we went ahead with the procedure anyway.  The reason I mention this is to paint the background that I am very sensitive to small changes, and always looking for perfection in music reproduction.  If I loved Bose I'd have more money in the bank!

I've got/tried almost every rectifier tube except the GZ37, and ultimately prefer the metal base GZ34 - to me it's just more musical, smooth and does everything well.  I'm sure we all have different versions of this tube with different ages also, which makes it difficult to have a common bench mark.  The only benchmark I have is a NOS black base double getter GZ34 that is supposed to be the best of its kind, my metal base beats this so I assume it's a good one.  My tube rolling strategy with the TP has evolved into fixing the rectifier tube as the base, and roll the signal tubes to suit my tastes/mood etc, consequently the mb has been the defacto standard for the last 9 months.

If you consider that I find the difference between 5U4G/5U4GB/GZ32/GZ34 is incremental, in comparison I find the improvement the EML 5U4G makes to be significant in my system.  I'll spend more time over the weekend in order to articulate this but it is very musical  and emotionally involving - so much so I'm spending too much time listening to music and being drawn into it.  My minimum expectation was to find a backup for my mb, I believe the EML is superior and significantly less expensive.  On this basis I would not hesitate to recommend it.

I didn't think the MW TP could get any better than it did, it's scary good now - I started down the MW path a few years ago with a Sony CDP, in an attempt to get rid of digititus, the TP has eliminated this completely and added a more musical engaging element as a bonus.

Trust this helps.       

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #654 on: 29 Jan 2009, 05:59 pm »
Guys,

Can you remind me how much the EML tube costs?

Thanks,

George

rpf

« Reply #655 on: 29 Jan 2009, 06:11 pm »
The EML costs $209.

I got mine on Sunday from George who was gracious enough to drop it off (we live 15 minutes apart) and who is very knowledgeable about tubes and circuits (we spent around 45 minutes listening to my system and talking). He has some other interesting products as well, I've discovered.

Initial impressions of the tube are positive (in my Modwright Sony 9100 - yes, David, I know I need to move into the computer age  :lol: ) but I need a bit more time to form my impressions as I've made some other changes to my system (utilizing my usual HW GZ37 for constant parameters) and will be getting back to the EML today.

As others have noted it is a very beautiful tube!

rydenfan

« Reply #656 on: 29 Jan 2009, 06:18 pm »
Phil, thanks for the detail.

Rob, please let me know what you think of the tube since you are a big fan of the HW GZ37. and I didnt say anything about your antiquated cd player  :wink:

Philistine

« Reply #657 on: 29 Jan 2009, 06:49 pm »
One of the other TP owners that has the EML is Ken (Bigfish), who has also carried out a longer term mb/EML comparison, the EML is now his preferred rectifier tube.  He may want to comment further on this.

I've just had some Walter Trout and Steve Morse in the background, you can hear the connection Walter has with his guitar but the Steve Morse stuff still sounds as mechanical as ever - bottom line is that it doesn't add any emotion were it never existed in the first place  :icon_lol:

The UPS price for the EML is $225, hand delivery is free!   

Bigfish

« Reply #658 on: 29 Jan 2009, 09:35 pm »
I purchased an EML 5U4G Mesh Tube in mid-December and broke it in for nearly 100 hours before seriously comparing it to my MB GZ-34.  My preferred tube was the EML 5U4G and I left it in place for several weeks until I received a message from Phil asking if I had gone back to run another listening comparison.  I repeated the MB GZ-34 to EML 5U4G comparison with the same music and rolled the tubes a couple of times.  The following are the PM comments I made to Phil after the test:

I would not respond to your question about the EML-5U4G tube until I ran another comparision to the MB GZ-34.  I ran that comparison this morning.  To my ears both tubes are very good, no doubt about it, but the EML is better than the MB in my system.  They are very similar but music with the EML sounds like there is just a little more life, or air or something to the music.  Could I hear the difference in a blind test?  Yes, I think I could!

I don't take the responsibility of making this recommendation lightly but I definitely can make the recommendation that you purchase the EML 5U4G.  I will be very surprised if you are not very happy.

I am really glad to hear that Phil is pleased with the initial results from the EML tube.  You guys that own and love the MB GZ-34 owe it to yourselves to try the EML Mesh 5U4G.

Ken

rydenfan

« Reply #659 on: 29 Jan 2009, 09:47 pm »
Sounds like the tube is a real winner, and the size of it would help balance out my new adapters  :lol:

For me the Metal Base 5AR4's had a hump in the midbass that I could not get passed. I believe Ted experienced this as well. I am very much wanting to hear this tube once things settle in my system for a bit. It seems to be a great alternative to a rapidly rising 5AR4. I also think it is cool that this is a current production tube, hopefully a sign of things to come  :thumb: