ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

Philistine

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #460 on: 25 Nov 2008, 04:31 pm »
Emission Labs 5U4G
I made contact with the two US vendors yesterday - one has already posted on the forum.  I lived in Germany for 7 years so have complete comfort in exploring European options if necessary.
I'll float a few ideas to the two here in the US first, and get back with an update.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #461 on: 25 Nov 2008, 04:42 pm »
Emission Labs 5U4G
I made contact with the two US vendors yesterday - one has already posted on the forum.  I lived in Germany for 7 years so have complete comfort in exploring European options if necessary.
I'll float a few ideas to the two here in the US first, and get back with an update.

Thank you.

George

mikel51

« Reply #462 on: 27 Nov 2008, 06:11 pm »
Emission Labs 5U4G
What do you guys think about a group Modwright buy for this tube?
There are a couple of vendors here in the US - Tubes USA & Roger Modjeski at Music Reference.  With Roger being an AC member he might be more open to support this?

I'd be interested too.

funkmonkey

« Reply #463 on: 1 Dec 2008, 01:45 am »
I just got back from a little adventure...  I saw an ad on craigslist from a guy who was unloading a couple hundred vintage tubes, he posted a couple of pics of the lot and i swear I saw a metal base 5AR4/GZ34 or two in there...  it took me a few days to get over there and turns out there had been a few guys that beat me to the punch.  No GZ34, no anything I could use, except for 1 tube.  A big bottle (ST shape) 5U4G from Rogers Canada, date code  REL R(inside a maple leaf).  The guy felt bad that I drove all the way over there and he didn't have anything else that I could use so he gave me the 5U4G (consolation prize, I guess  :thumb:)  He had no clue about tubes, even more so than me.  :wink:

Anyone ever hear of Rogers?  (Googling didn't turn up much)

The tube is in great physical shape, everything is solid and clean (now that I wiped the dust off) but i have no means of testing it.  Is there any caution about rolling it into my Transporter for a listen?

owenmd

« Reply #464 on: 1 Dec 2008, 10:06 pm »
Hi guys,

My very first post on AC, although I’ve lurked for a long time…. I thought some may be interested in my tube rolling experience…. sorry about the length.  A special hello to my fellow compatriot Philistine.

I’ve had my beloved MWT for some time now and being relatively new to tubes, kept the stockers for much of this year…. a naive mistake, as I didn’t realize I was giving up so much performance.  I found out the stock signal tubes are not too bad, but the basic RCA rectifier only just about makes this thing work…. but not much more…. I always thought some of the music was missing…?

Signal tubes:
I’ve tried the stockers, 6N6P’s and the DR’s.
I found the 6N6P’s were an upgrade from the stockers, sounding quite natural and detailed, if a little bright and lightweight sounding…. good value for money though.

The DR’s overall sounded the best having more body/weight and less glare…. although they do give up a little on transparency and detail.  In my system, I also believe they have a very slight overall coloration to them that the other tubes don’t; its difficult to define…. maybe a light watercolor wash of blue/grey…?

Rectifiers:
To try and keep a level playing field, I ordered three pretty NOS Mullard Blackburn’s from the early 60’s…. a GZ34, GZ32 and a GZ37.  Two black bases and a brown on the GZ37.

The GZ34 sounded “nice” with good tone, better bass weight and HF extension and much more detail than the stocker…. no comparison in performance; as this was my first rectifier change, I was quite shocked at the difference.

I next tried the GZ32 and found it was even more extended at both ends with more detail/texture and much more holographic than the somewhat two dimensional GZ34…. but unfortunately, it was a little bright in the midrange.

The GZ37 was next and fast became my favorite of the three.  It had similar extension at both ends to the GZ32, but improved again in detail with a slightly more holographic 3D soundstage, but a darker perspective.  It was nice and neutral in the midrange, but unfortunately did have a slightly lean upper bass.

So…. all very nice tubes and a massive upgrade over the stockers… but still a little compromised.

Enter the EML 5U4G mesh plate.  The build quality of this massive tube is flawless and in a completely different class to any other tube I’ve seen…. perceived value is very high; it’s a thing of beauty.  I haven’t run this tube for more than around 70 hours yet, but it sounds quite significantly “different” to all the other tubes…. great straight out the box, but appears to be getting slightly more refined with more use.

In conjunction with the DR’s, the first thing that hit me was the soundstage…. I’ve never witnessed such extreme pinpoint imaging before inside a bigger field.  Detail, tone and texture is better than all the other tubes with much greater depth perspective and smoothness.  Something that took a little getting used to…. the lead singer is presented a little further forward, but the other instruments/backing are much further back; I guess more extreme positional contrast is what I’m talking about.  Overall, the clarity is much improved, with the total detail of any instrument/vocalists being available simply by light focus.  Another thing this tube does very well is great emphasis on the pace and timing cues…. very musical and foot tapping.  Overall, this tube has the best qualities of all the others with none of their shortfalls and significantly improves in many other areas.

So, I’ve ended my search for rectifiers with this EML beauty…. I haven’t compared the MB34 or HW37, but can’t imagine they are better value than this tube?  I am extremely happy with the sound of this thing and the system no longer feels compromised to me.  Maybe a little gain in transparency could be achieved with different signal tubes as the EML is much smoother, but I tried the 6N6P’s again and it was cleaner, but I lost a little of the pinpoint imaging…. once you’ve had it, its difficult to go back!  Sorry if this sounds like an EML advertisement, but I’m really quite excited about the improvement it’s bought to my system…. even my girlfriend instantly noticed the obvious improvement rather than me having to point it out…. you know how that goes…!  I believe the turbo bybee is next after Xmas, from what all you guys have said...?

Incidentally, I have absolutely no affiliation or relationship, but my first dealings with George from tubesUSA was a complete pleasure…. great customer service.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #465 on: 1 Dec 2008, 10:35 pm »
Owenmd,
As President of the Modwright Transporter Tube Rollers Association (MTTRA...we must get a better frickin name) I welcome you with open arms.  Great review and post.  The EMM mesh plate 5U4G is very quickly becoming a legend!  I gotta have one!!!     :green:

Nice first post!   :thumb:

funkmonkey

« Reply #466 on: 1 Dec 2008, 11:52 pm »
Great review owenmd, thanks.  Any luck, or new info on a group buy of the EML 5U4G?  I am sold...  I think it will barely fit on the shelf my Transporter sits on...  That thing is HUGE!  6.9 inches tall!!!!

Philistine

« Reply #467 on: 1 Dec 2008, 11:55 pm »
Great review owenmd, thanks.  Any luck, or new info on a group buy of the EML 5U4G?  I am sold...  I think it will barely fit on the shelf my Transporter sits on...  That thing is HUGE!  6.9 inches tall!!!!

Still working on the EML 5U4G, watch this space.

funkmonkey

« Reply #468 on: 2 Dec 2008, 12:01 am »
Thanks Phil...  I am rapt.

kenreau

« Reply #469 on: 2 Dec 2008, 12:27 am »
That thing is HUGE!  6.9 inches tall!!!!

That's what she said...  :o  (quoting Michael Scott from The Office).  You know someone had to hit that soft ball...

Great work folks!  I really like the potential of this tube.  My TP is currently in at the new, way cool, ultra zoot and brightly lit Modwright Factory/HQ for the PS upgrade and I'm making plans to upgrade this rectifier tube after I get it back. 

A concern though is it may not fit in my current shelf / head room space.  Is the 6.9" the overall height of just the tube?  any estimates of how much vertical space should be allowed for when mounted in the TP?

Thanks,
Kenreau

Thanks

funkmonkey

« Reply #470 on: 2 Dec 2008, 12:42 am »
6.9" is the height of tube + base (from Emission Labs web site)...  my guess is another inch for the TP?  drat that would make it too tall for my space!!!!  :duh:  maybe it won't fit after all.  Would one of you guys (that has one in their Transporter) grab a tape measure and let us know how tall it is from shelf to top of tube?

My TP should be back home tomorrow, fully platinum-turbo-fied!  And my HT3s will be here pretty soon, hopefully!

owenmd

« Reply #471 on: 2 Dec 2008, 01:20 am »
Thank you for the very warm welcome Ted.... much appreciated.

From the top of the tube to the top of the Transporter case measures around 5 7/8"..... just under 6".

All the best,

Mark

funkmonkey

« Reply #472 on: 2 Dec 2008, 02:54 am »
Thanks Mark. 
5-7/8" + 3"(Transporter)= 8-7/8" plus breathing room!

I need 10-ish inches of vertical space (min) to accommodate the EML?  Ginormous!

I might have to re-think here.  Too tall to fit in the 7" spot I made for the TP.  If what the Beta testers are saying is true about the new mod, I may have to pass altogether, on the EML...  I gotta stew on this a bit more.  That won't even fit in the space I made for the 36.5, if I were to swap spots.  Definitely something to consider.
Thanks again Mark.

Cheers,
Greg

Philistine

« Reply #473 on: 2 Dec 2008, 03:01 am »
Hi guys,

My very first post on AC, although I’ve lurked for a long time…. I thought some may be interested in my tube rolling experience…. sorry about the length.  A special hello to my fellow compatriot Philistine.

I’ve had my beloved MWT for some time now and being relatively new to tubes, kept the stockers for much of this year…. a naive mistake, as I didn’t realize I was giving up so much performance.  I found out the stock signal tubes are not too bad, but the basic RCA rectifier only just about makes this thing work…. but not much more…. I always thought some of the music was missing…?

Signal tubes:
I’ve tried the stockers, 6N6P’s and the DR’s.
I found the 6N6P’s were an upgrade from the stockers, sounding quite natural and detailed, if a little bright and lightweight sounding…. good value for money though.

The DR’s overall sounded the best having more body/weight and less glare…. although they do give up a little on transparency and detail.  In my system, I also believe they have a very slight overall coloration to them that the other tubes don’t; its difficult to define…. maybe a light watercolor wash of blue/grey…?

Rectifiers:
To try and keep a level playing field, I ordered three pretty NOS Mullard Blackburn’s from the early 60’s…. a GZ34, GZ32 and a GZ37.  Two black bases and a brown on the GZ37.

The GZ34 sounded “nice” with good tone, better bass weight and HF extension and much more detail than the stocker…. no comparison in performance; as this was my first rectifier change, I was quite shocked at the difference.

I next tried the GZ32 and found it was even more extended at both ends with more detail/texture and much more holographic than the somewhat two dimensional GZ34…. but unfortunately, it was a little bright in the midrange.

The GZ37 was next and fast became my favorite of the three.  It had similar extension at both ends to the GZ32, but improved again in detail with a slightly more holographic 3D soundstage, but a darker perspective.  It was nice and neutral in the midrange, but unfortunately did have a slightly lean upper bass.

So…. all very nice tubes and a massive upgrade over the stockers… but still a little compromised.

Enter the EML 5U4G mesh plate.  The build quality of this massive tube is flawless and in a completely different class to any other tube I’ve seen…. perceived value is very high; it’s a thing of beauty.  I haven’t run this tube for more than around 70 hours yet, but it sounds quite significantly “different” to all the other tubes…. great straight out the box, but appears to be getting slightly more refined with more use.

In conjunction with the DR’s, the first thing that hit me was the soundstage…. I’ve never witnessed such extreme pinpoint imaging before inside a bigger field.  Detail, tone and texture is better than all the other tubes with much greater depth perspective and smoothness.  Something that took a little getting used to…. the lead singer is presented a little further forward, but the other instruments/backing are much further back; I guess more extreme positional contrast is what I’m talking about.  Overall, the clarity is much improved, with the total detail of any instrument/vocalists being available simply by light focus.  Another thing this tube does very well is great emphasis on the pace and timing cues…. very musical and foot tapping.  Overall, this tube has the best qualities of all the others with none of their shortfalls and significantly improves in many other areas.

So, I’ve ended my search for rectifiers with this EML beauty…. I haven’t compared the MB34 or HW37, but can’t imagine they are better value than this tube?  I am extremely happy with the sound of this thing and the system no longer feels compromised to me.  Maybe a little gain in transparency could be achieved with different signal tubes as the EML is much smoother, but I tried the 6N6P’s again and it was cleaner, but I lost a little of the pinpoint imaging…. once you’ve had it, its difficult to go back!  Sorry if this sounds like an EML advertisement, but I’m really quite excited about the improvement it’s bought to my system…. even my girlfriend instantly noticed the obvious improvement rather than me having to point it out…. you know how that goes…!  I believe the turbo bybee is next after Xmas, from what all you guys have said...?

Incidentally, I have absolutely no affiliation or relationship, but my first dealings with George from tubesUSA was a complete pleasure…. great customer service.

Welcome to the forum Mark - thanks for the support in taking back one of the colonies  :D  
It will be interesting to see the feedback from other owners of the turbo/Bybee mod as more upgrades are starting to get in the field, I'm sure when you read them you'll have yours done asap!  With the EML rectifier, DR's and the upgrade the TP will be one of the best digital sources at any price.

I still love the DR's but crave the extra detail from 6N1P's/6N6P's, the latter types are smoothed off by the mod.  If the EML adds more softening then this could be a great combination for detail freaks like me.  

The forum is a great place to hang around, my system has improved considerably since actively participating.  

orientalexpress

« Reply #474 on: 2 Dec 2008, 04:20 am »
count me in the group buy on Emission Labs 5U4G
 thanks

lapsan

JerryH

« Reply #475 on: 2 Dec 2008, 01:27 pm »
And another 'Me too' on the group buy.
Thanks Philistine

schw06

« Reply #476 on: 2 Dec 2008, 03:17 pm »
Count me in as well for the group buy

rydenfan

« Reply #477 on: 2 Dec 2008, 04:56 pm »
Well a dealer could certainly sell abunch of these tubes right now, they just need to exist  :scratch:

rpf

« Reply #478 on: 2 Dec 2008, 05:30 pm »
I'm in for the group buy also, of course.

owenmd

« Reply #479 on: 2 Dec 2008, 06:51 pm »
Cheers Philisitine,

Yes.... 12 years.... Willy Shakespeare country to Phoenix AZ.... I still haven't got em all turned around yet...!

When I started this silly game around 30 years ago, the focus was spend the budget mostly on the front end.... I was Linn/Naim nut back then.  Over the years, we seemed to progress towards spending silly money on speakers and amps and then came the crazy cable times of course!  I've heard many poor sounding systems that cost mega-bucks driven by sources that only cost a few hundred bucks.... back to front from past thinking.... crap in, crap out.... just louder.  Listening to my system last night with the EML/DR's and thinking about the improvements talked about by you guys with the Turbo mods etc, just made me think this is a great way to go towards satisfaction.  I've been thinking about changing my amp and speakers recently because of the constant audiophile yearning for more.... but this front end improvement made me realize that this is where the magic is...!  I also truly believe the MWT is probably the best source/DAC combo available at any price.... mine isn't going anywhere!

I agree with the DR's.... very good, but there has to be something better in combo with the EML.  They have incredible synergy together in my system, but I could see that if a system was quite bass heavy rather than neutral, they might be a little over the top?

Best,

Mark

[/quote]

Welcome to the forum Mark - thanks for the support in taking back one of the colonies  :D  
It will be interesting to see the feedback from other owners of the turbo/Bybee mod as more upgrades are starting to get in the field, I'm sure when you read them you'll have yours done asap!  With the EML rectifier, DR's and the upgrade the TP will be one of the best digital sources at any price.

I still love the DR's but crave the extra detail from 6N1P's/6N6P's, the latter types are smoothed off by the mod.  If the EML adds more softening then this could be a great combination for detail freaks like me.  

The forum is a great place to hang around, my system has improved considerably since actively participating.  

[/quote]