ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

rydenfan

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #300 on: 17 Sep 2008, 01:43 am »
Tube world has NOS 5931 tubes for $35 and $40.  You KNOW they're the real thing from TW.

I bought one a while ago but have been too busy to give it a whirl.

John

Thanks John. Usually their prices are way higher than everybody else, I will check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Also I sent you a PM earlier  :D

twodown

« Reply #301 on: 19 Sep 2008, 01:13 am »
Cheers...I recently added a MW transporter and LS 36.5 to my system...and as with many others, I couldn't be more pleased with the results (really is phenomenal).  I've been following this thread from afar, as I knew it would not be long before the rolling begain  :dance:

I'm currently, running Mullard 5AR4 and 6H30-DRs running in the 36.5 and the stock tubes in transporter.
On order (based on contributors recommendations  8) )...Phillips GZ32, 5U4GB Tung Sol, 6CG7 RCA cleartops, and 6CG7 blackplates to try in tranporter.

As a novice to tubes (and very much enjoying the combo of tubes with SS amp)...I'm wondering how one balances tube choices between the transporter and 36.5 (and even the PS...possible future addition).  Perhaps I've missed discussion in this thread but is there a reasonable approach to tube rolling in multiple components? Additional recommendations?  Thanks!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #302 on: 19 Sep 2008, 01:27 am »
Twodown,
As Prez of the Modwright TP Club, WELCOME!!!!!      :wine:

Thanks for coming over from the great AVS Forum, and joining us here, too.

We've come to very few empirical/standard decisions about tube rolling except this......the 6H30DR's are the last signal tubes needed in the 36.5, and so is the early 50's late 40's metal base 5AR4 (expensive but makes for an easy answer).   A great close second (for rectifiers in the 36.5) is the Tung Sol 5U4G and 5U4GB.  But to answer your question directly....it's a tough decision to balance/weigh the advantges of one tube roll in the pre vs the source.  They act like brightness and contrast on a tv monitor...one affects the other directly and in some cases it's counter intuitive.    But in our Modwright world, if you can get the 36.5 settled as noted above, then you have huge editorial leeway on the TP.  you can go lean, warm, thicker, thinner, midrange-oriented, bass-heavy, etc.  Your homework looks pretty accurate though!  Again.....welcome aboard!!

rydenfan

« Reply #303 on: 19 Sep 2008, 01:03 pm »
Ted, I believe you meant to say the Tung Sol 5U4G or GB are excellent in the TP. He should not use one in his one box 36.5.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #304 on: 19 Sep 2008, 01:12 pm »
Why not?  Unless he has a metal base.  I use a pair of Tung Sol 5U4GB's in my 36.5 two-box and love 'em.

rydenfan

« Reply #305 on: 19 Sep 2008, 01:44 pm »
If I remember correctly Dan told me the 5U4's were not a suitable replacement in the one box. I know they work for the two-box though. It may be because the tube could not fit inside the one box?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #306 on: 19 Sep 2008, 01:49 pm »
Good point regarding the bottle ST's (i.e 5U4G) but the GB's should fit, I think.  Maybe not.
Edit:  David, you're likely right.  The GB's are smaller than the bottles, but are still much taller than 5AR4's.

rydenfan

« Reply #307 on: 19 Sep 2008, 02:12 pm »
Good point regarding the bottle ST's (i.e 5U4G) but the GB's should fit, I think.  Maybe not.
Edit:  David, you're likely right.  The GB's are smaller than the bottles, but are still much taller than 5AR4's.

Perhaps Rob (rpf) has tried it? I know he runs his 36.5 with the top off to allow for his GZ32. The good thing about owning both the 36.5 and the TP is that he can places the 5AR4 inside the 36.5 and roll whatever you want in the TP  :thumb:

twodown

« Reply #308 on: 19 Sep 2008, 02:22 pm »
Ted...thanks for the warm welcome and recommendations  :thumb: 

Between you and David everything is clear as a bell now  :lol:

Sounds like I'm pretty solid for the 36.5 (with a possible upgrade to the metal base), and have some good tubes coming next week to begin rolling in the TP.  Thanks guys  :D

rpf

« Reply #309 on: 19 Sep 2008, 08:46 pm »

Perhaps Rob (rpf) has tried it? I know he runs his 36.5 with the top off to allow for his GZ32. The good thing about owning both the 36.5 and the TP is that he can places the 5AR4 inside the 36.5 and roll whatever you want in the TP  :thumb:

I have yet to get around to trying the Tung Sol 5U4G/GB: it's my next purchase. Pretty much everything other than a 5AR4 is too tall to fit into the stock one box 36.5. Mine has been modified to line up with the cover for the PS 36.5 allowing me to use any appropriate tube (except the HW GZ37). Nonetheless, I'm back to using a 5AR4: my current favorites being a metal base Amperex Bugle Boy, and a Japanese Mullard.
I still prefer the HW GZ37 in the PS of my Modwright Truth Sony 9100.

twodown

« Reply #310 on: 24 Sep 2008, 01:19 am »
Where oh where could my tubes be  :duh:
Kind of comical that USPS, FedEx, and UPS all delivered packages to the house today (one even said "fragile glass", but alas that was for the wife  :cry:)

Any thoughts on what combo to insert first?  Phillips GZ32, 5U4GB Tung Sol, 6CG7 RCA cleartops, and 6CG7 blackplates.
The wait is killing me (but got to admit the transport + 36.5 it sounds d**n good with the current tubes  :green:)

Cheers

Bigfish

« Reply #311 on: 24 Sep 2008, 01:37 am »
Where oh where could my tubes be  :duh:
Kind of comical that USPS, FedEx, and UPS all delivered packages to the house today (one even said "fragile glass", but alas that was for the wife  :cry:)

Any thoughts on what combo to insert first?  Phillips GZ32, 5U4GB Tung Sol, 6CG7 RCA cleartops, and 6CG7 blackplates.
The wait is killing me (but got to admit the transport + 36.5 it sounds d**n good with the current tubes  :green:)

Cheers

Twodown:

You are in for a very good time.  I really liked the GZ-32 with the 6CG7 Cleartops and later switched to the 6H30DRs.  Currently running a GZ-34 Metal Base with the 6H30DRs.  I will be interested to learn what you finally select as your favorite combination. 

Have fun!

Ken

thalvor

« Reply #312 on: 24 Sep 2008, 03:18 pm »
Hi everyone

This is my first contribution to this list although I have been lurking around for quite some time. I regularly read this
thread and have picked up some very good advice from it - so now I felt it was time to make a contribution myself.

I have lived with the MW transporter for nine months now, but haven't engaged in any serious tube rolling yet. Partly this is due to the fact that I have been extremely happy with the sound in my current set-up. What I have installed right now is the familiar gz32 and the not so familiar 6N6P. I want to suggest this dirt-cheap Russian tube as a possible substitute for the 6H30P-DR. For a read-up on the 6N6P you shold visit the site of Lukasz Fikus, a Czech who is a warm supporter of the tube and obviously know a thing or two about valve amplification:
http://www.lampizator.eu/UPGRADE/upgrade%20noval%20tubes%20to%206H6P.html

He even claims that it betters the 6H30P "supertube". I can't testify to that because I haven't rolled in the 6H30P-DR myself yet, but I can say that after dropping in the 6N6P the sound from the transporter was elevated to a (for me) unknown level of musicality (and I have heard some quite exsotic rigs). And that is from a tube which I bought eight of for 20$ on ebay!

It could of course be the result of system synergy, but I really believe that this tube is something special.

I will of course try out the 6H30P-DR eventually, but now I have been on a shopping spree for rectifiers and severel are on their way. This includes a mullard gz34 (late 1950s with D-getter, but with black base), mullard CV378 (also late 1950s with D-getter), a new production Emission Labs 5U4G-Mesh and a mullard metal base gz34. The most interesting comparison will be between the EML and the mullard metal base. I have read that at least one owner of a really nice Woo headphone amp prefer the EML over the metal base gz34.

Since I have been able to snag a metal base gz34 on ebay for a reasonable price I will no longer be watching this auction, but maybe it could be of interest to som other transporter-fella or girl: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170264776096&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

I have no affiliation with the seller of course ;)

thalvor

Philistine

« Reply #313 on: 24 Sep 2008, 07:12 pm »
Welcome to the forum Thalvor, I too was a lurker on this site before taking the plunge - more fun and informative than the other audio sites, and some of the more talented 'boutique' equipment manufacturers/modders are active here.  Which segues into Modwright and where I found Dan participates, it was Dan's musical approach to digital sourcing that got me back on the enjoying music track again.  So I can understand your reactions to the MW TP.

Thanks for the lead on the alternative tube - I'll give these a try (so cheap - at the moment!).  I've hit the spot with my rectifier tube and come to the conclusion that once you've got this in place then the signal tube is the next priority.  I'm currently switching back and forth between a pair of 6H30-DR's and NOS 6N1P's (not the latest production), I prefer the extra detail the 6N1P's have but they can sound bright (depending on the recording and how I feel), consequently the 6N6P's may be the ticket if they give me the best of both worlds. 

Please post back on your rectifier findings, it will be interesting to hear your findings on the EML as the metal base 34 is becoming too $$$$$$$$. 

twodown

« Reply #314 on: 25 Sep 2008, 11:34 pm »

Twodown:

You are in for a very good time.  I really liked the GZ-32 with the 6CG7 Cleartops and later switched to the 6H30DRs.  Currently running a GZ-34 Metal Base with the 6H30DRs.  I will be interested to learn what you finally select as your favorite combination. 

Have fun!

Ken

OK....I can see how this might become addictive  :drool:
Starting out with 1959 Phillips GZ32 and RCA blacktops in the MW TP running to the 36.5 with Mullard 5AR4 and 6H30-DR combo.
Will give it time to settle in before fully evaluating and subsequently switching out the blacktops for the cleartops.

Cheers,

rydenfan

« Reply #315 on: 26 Sep 2008, 01:34 am »
Enjoy buddy!! make sure you give the tubes at least 100 hours before listening too critically.

thalvor

« Reply #316 on: 26 Sep 2008, 06:54 am »
Thanks for the lead on the alternative tube - I'll give these a try (so cheap - at the moment!).  I've hit the spot with my rectifier tube and come to the conclusion that once you've got this in place then the signal tube is the next priority.  I'm currently switching back and forth between a pair of 6H30-DR's and NOS 6N1P's (not the latest production), I prefer the extra detail the 6N1P's have but they can sound bright (depending on the recording and how I feel), consequently the 6N6P's may be the ticket if they give me the best of both worlds. 

Please post back on your rectifier findings, it will be interesting to hear your findings on the EML as the metal base 34 is becoming too $$$$$$$$. 

Thanks for the welcome Philistine :) It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the comparison between the 6H30-DR and the 6N6P. From what others have said about the 6H30-DR I would guess that they will have some similar characteristics. In my view the 6N6P is a really well-balanced tube leaving little to be desired in neither top end or low end. It has a remarkable clearity without causing any listening strain over time.

The guy that sold me the batch of 6N6P claimed they were a rare collection from the 1950s, but I haven't been able to confirm this.   

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #317 on: 26 Sep 2008, 11:53 am »
Thalvor,
I sent you a pm.  I'm very interested and will compare the 6N6P's with the DR's, the clear tops and my current fave (only because i already have DR's in my 36.5) the Raytheon black plate 6CG7's.

Bigfish

« Reply #318 on: 26 Sep 2008, 08:24 pm »
Hi everyone

I have lived with the MW transporter for nine months now, but haven't engaged in any serious tube rolling yet. Partly this is due to the fact that I have been extremely happy with the sound in my current set-up. What I have installed right now is the familiar gz32 and the not so familiar 6N6P. I want to suggest this dirt-cheap Russian tube as a possible substitute for the 6H30P-DR. For a read-up on the 6N6P you shold visit the site of Lukasz Fikus, a Czech who is a warm supporter of the tube and obviously know a thing or two about valve amplification:

He even claims that it betters the 6H30P "supertube". I can't testify to that because I haven't rolled in the 6H30P-DR myself yet, but I can say that after dropping in the 6N6P the sound from the transporter was elevated to a (for me) unknown level of musicality (and I have heard some quite exsotic rigs). And that is from a tube which I bought eight of for 20$ on ebay!

It could of course be the result of system synergy, but I really believe that this tube is something special.

Since I have been able to snag a metal base gz34 on ebay for a reasonable price I will no longer be watching this auction, but maybe it could be of interest to som other transporter-fella or girl: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170264776096&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

thalvor

Thalvor:

Thanks for the recommendation of the 6N6P's.  I just snagged 8 of them on ebay for $24.50.  At that price if I don't like them in the Transporter I use them somehow in my tackle box.  Ha, Ha! 

Concerning the GZ-34 Metal Base on ebay, it is up to $190.00 with over 2 days left on the auction.  The picture of the tube is of one that appears in excellent shape.  I bet the final price on it exceeds $425.00 - we'll see!

Enjoy the ModWright Transporter.

Ken

Philistine

« Reply #319 on: 26 Sep 2008, 08:57 pm »
Hi everyone

thalvor

Thalvor:

Thanks for the recommendation of the 6N6P's.  I just snagged 8 of them on ebay for $24.50.  At that price if I don't like them in the Transporter I use them somehow in my tackle box.  Ha, Ha! 

Concerning the GZ-34 Metal Base on ebay, it is up to $190.00 with over 2 days left on the auction.  The picture of the tube is of one that appears in excellent shape.  I bet the final price on it exceeds $425.00 - we'll see!

Enjoy the ModWright Transporter.

Ken

Likewise Ken - I picked up a gazillion on ebay for the price of a (large) pizza!  I read the Lukasz Fikus post and tried to make sure I picked up the audiophile version.  I'll compare these with the 6N1P/6H30DR in a 36.5 free environment and report back.
Guess we need to talk down the GZ34 metal, it's becoming more inflationary than oil.  NOS tubes have been selling for around $400 recently  :duh: