ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #260 on: 3 Aug 2008, 04:31 am »
Well tonight I spent quite a bit of time listening to the High Wycombe GZ37 that David loaned me.  It replaced, for the time being, my metal base GZ34/5AR4.  I like the sound; it is nice and refined and wonderfully detailed.  But I get all of that (less a slight bit of refinement) with my metal base, and the Volvo gets me more dynamics and balls.  I'm lucky to be able to tube roll all these great tubes, but at the end of the day I am going back to my trusty metal base.  The sound I heard last night, before swapping and letting the HW settle in for 24 hrs, was the best my system ever sounded.  I'm also demoing a Synergistic Research Powercell 10 power conditioner, and that stayed in tonight, of course.  (It doesn't make any sense to call a power conditioner "musical" but that's what the Powercell does.  It creates a holistic presentation where every note decays naturally, every harmonic hangs just a little longer, and every space between notes and instruments is just a little more defined and yet natural.  It's like each cable and cord got an upgrade.)

I now have the el cheapo TAD 5AR4's in the 36.5 (replacing the Tung Sol 5U4GB's) and will elt them settle for 24 hrs before listening tmrw night.  On first listen, though, they have promise. there doesn't seem to be any real downside so far.  They are a new tube set so not sure of the break-in.

RUR

« Reply #261 on: 3 Aug 2008, 03:56 pm »
On a related subject (Modwright and tubes) I've reinstalled my prized Modwright Denon 3910 Platinum Sig universal (for hirez 2 channel only use right now).  Tube rolling in that is a pain due to the nine screws in the cover, but my Amperex PQ (USA) 1984 orange lettered 7119's sound so good in it I may not try the Tung Sol 5687 or GE Jan 7044's I have.  I thought Patricia Barber's Companion sounded great in redbook/TP.  Wow, the SACD on the 3910 is incredible.  The rig is warmer right out of the gate, but it's ok; I like the diversity.  And I haven't even gotten the PS tube -rectified yet (sending to Dan late August for the PS upgrade and some tweaks)!
Ted, have you tried the Bendix 6900's in your 3910?

Ken

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #262 on: 3 Aug 2008, 04:10 pm »
On a related subject (Modwright and tubes) I've reinstalled my prized Modwright Denon 3910 Platinum Sig universal (for hirez 2 channel only use right now).  Tube rolling in that is a pain due to the nine screws in the cover, but my Amperex PQ (USA) 1984 orange lettered 7119's sound so good in it I may not try the Tung Sol 5687 or GE Jan 7044's I have.  I thought Patricia Barber's Companion sounded great in redbook/TP.  Wow, the SACD on the 3910 is incredible.  The rig is warmer right out of the gate, but it's ok; I like the diversity.  And I haven't even gotten the PS tube -rectified yet (sending to Dan late August for the PS upgrade and some tweaks)!
Ted, have you tried the Bendix 6900's in your 3910?

Ken

Ken,
No, I haven't.  Although Wayne Donnelly was ga-ga over them, many I've spoken to say they are not nearly worth their huge $$.  What say you?

RUR

« Reply #263 on: 3 Aug 2008, 04:48 pm »

Ken,
No, I haven't.  Although Wayne Donnelly was ga-ga over them, many I've spoken to say they are not nearly worth their huge $$.  What say you?
Unknown.  The only guy currently selling them wants $450 each :o.  I'll pay that if I have to, but I have a lead on someone who has a bunch and may sell them cheaper, so I'm working that angle first.

Ken

Philistine

« Reply #264 on: 3 Aug 2008, 05:27 pm »

Ken,
Unknown.  The only guy currently selling them wants $450 each :o.  I'll pay that if I have to, but I have a lead on someone who has a bunch and may sell them cheaper, so I'm working that angle first.

Ken

I had a pair of Bendix 6900's in a 999ES - they are beautiful well engineered tubes, but bought them before the price became crazy.  They were the best tubes I tried amongst (Amperex, Tung Sol and others), however a pair of the standard Tung Sols that Dan had cryoed came very close to them.  I would struggle to pay $450 each  :o IMHO they are not worth this much .

rydenfan

« Reply #265 on: 3 Aug 2008, 07:12 pm »
Has anyone tried the "Controller" yet? I currently use my ipod touch as my remote and while it is pretty cool, it can still be a bit buggy. I am wondering how the Controller is?

JG2

« Reply #266 on: 3 Aug 2008, 07:21 pm »
We have heard a number of Bendix 6900's in various Sony and Denon CDP's from our clients over the years. Some can be quite microphonic but reveal amazing detail. Dan nor I have found them to be our favorite 5687 / 7119 / 7044 / 6900 variant in our personal systems. The folks that like the 6900 REALLY love the sound................YMMV

rydenfan

« Reply #267 on: 4 Aug 2008, 01:04 am »
With my GZ37 at Ted's and my 5AR4 shipping out tomorrow I decided to play around with the Tung Sol 5U4GB. What a fun tube. It is not the best in terms of the nth degree of detail and accuracy but it has a very engaging, musical nature to it. Really a lively sound.

Philistine

« Reply #268 on: 4 Aug 2008, 01:15 am »
Has anyone tried the "Controller" yet? I currently use my ipod touch as my remote and while it is pretty cool, it can still be a bit buggy. I am wondering how the Controller is?

I've had a Controller for a couple of weeks - it works very well most of the time but can also be buggy (I've had to reboot by taking out the battery and it sometimes takes a few minutes to wake up).  I prefer the remote with the Sonos music system (its bigger and landscape layout as opposed to the slim line and small screen on the Controller), also the high end Pronto that Ted has looks intriguing.

JG2

« Reply #269 on: 4 Aug 2008, 03:53 am »
With the rectifier options being the TS 5U4GB, Philips metal base GZ34 or perhaps the HW GZ37 you have 3 great tubes for the Transporter. They don't get much better than those 3 and perhaps the early fat base (f31) Mullard 5AR4 / GZ34.

Most audiophiles could easily live with any of these offerings!

jwes

« Reply #270 on: 4 Aug 2008, 05:51 am »
With the rectifier options being the TS 5U4GB, Philips metal base GZ34 or perhaps the HW GZ37 you have 3 great tubes for the Transporter. They don't get much better than those 3 and perhaps the early fat base (f31) Mullard 5AR4 / GZ34.

Most audiophiles could easily live with any of these offerings!

Well, having just purchased the latter (f31 fat black NOS Mullard GZ34) , one day before David's metal base became available (and paying a lot to tube world for a great condition NOS), I wasn't able to justify also buying the metal base.

So I'm wondering about an approach of keeping the pretty great rectifier I purchased, and upgrading the power cord.  I know this is now turning into a cable question, but I'm curious if anyone can speak to the benefits of a Lessloss power cable, or one of the top line PS Audio's (which are on sale right now).  Ideally if anyone has heard both it would be great to know!  Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #271 on: 4 Aug 2008, 01:12 pm »
David and I use the Lessloss on our TP's and they are great.  Dan loves them, too.  I've no feedback or experience on PS Audio's cables.  I don't hear much about them, really.  Others to try include Black Sands (Violet Z2 or Silver Ref).

jwes

« Reply #272 on: 4 Aug 2008, 08:42 pm »
David and I use the Lessloss on our TP's and they are great.  Dan loves them, too.  I've no feedback or experience on PS Audio's cables.  I don't hear much about them, really.  Others to try include Black Sands (Violet Z2 or Silver Ref).

As always, you guys are most helpful!  Thanks again, and hopefully someday I can provide as valuable of service to the group.

gregeas

« Reply #273 on: 11 Aug 2008, 12:08 pm »
Hey people,

My Modwright TP should arrive today. Question about burn in: should I use the stock tubes or the NOS tubes (Mullard 5AR4 and RCA Cleartop 6CG7s)? 100 hours should do it, right?

rydenfan

« Reply #274 on: 11 Aug 2008, 12:38 pm »
Hey people,

My Modwright TP should arrive today. Question about burn in: should I use the stock tubes or the NOS tubes (Mullard 5AR4 and RCA Cleartop 6CG7s)? 100 hours should do it, right?

I would say 150-200 hours to fully burn the caps in. My suggestion would be to start with the stock tubes for a little while and then roll in your other tubes. That way you are able to judge the differences they make in your system. Always better to have a baseline.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #275 on: 11 Aug 2008, 06:03 pm »
Hey people,

I would say 150-200 hours to fully burn the caps in. My suggestion would be to start with the stock tubes for a little while and then roll in your other tubes. That way you are able to judge the differences they make in your system. Always better to have a baseline.

Agreed 100%.  The stock tubes are not duds, but until you live with them you won't know what your rolling to/from.  200 hrs+ is my guess.

gregeas

« Reply #276 on: 11 Aug 2008, 06:51 pm »
Thanks. I'll keep it running all week with the stock tubes and will do some headphone listening throughout. This weekend I'll set it up in my main rig with the NOS tubes.

So I am correct to assume that the tubes themselves don't break in? Just the capacitors, right?

rydenfan

« Reply #277 on: 11 Aug 2008, 07:53 pm »
Thanks. I'll keep it running all week with the stock tubes and will do some headphone listening throughout. This weekend I'll set it up in my main rig with the NOS tubes.

So I am correct to assume that the tubes themselves don't break in? Just the capacitors, right?

I have found tubes generally need at least 100 hours on them to sound their best. And after that point they need about an hour of warm-up time once you first fire them up for daily listening. I usually have a bit of harshness and am light on bass if I try to listen to them and they have been on for less than 30 minutes or so.

rpf

« Reply #278 on: 11 Aug 2008, 08:35 pm »

I have found tubes generally need at least 100 hours on them to sound their best. And after that point they need about an hour of warm-up time once you first fire them up for daily listening. I usually have a bit of harshness and am light on bass if I try to listen to them and they have been on for less than 30 minutes or so.

IME, I've found only minor improvements on new tubes after 30-50 hours of use. Definitely none after 100 hours. 

Again, IME, once broken in, 30 minutes of warm-up becomes listenable and gets you about 80% of their maximum potential, an hour about 90% and several hours for 100%.

gregeas

« Reply #279 on: 12 Aug 2008, 02:03 pm »
Got everything set up last night. Thanks for the tips. I'll run the stock tubes for three more days then will switch over to the NOS ones. Headphone listening only until this weekend.

This makes me want to get my other Transporter modded as well, but I'd have to do some serious reconfiguring of my main rack.