ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #180 on: 9 Jul 2008, 06:15 pm »
David, let us know.  I think I'm the only one with a double dose so far (penicillin is helping though, thank you), and I LOVE the sound..but this becomes very subjective....once a great tube (and no doubt that DR is confirmed to be a great Modwright tube) is identified for a given application, the less is more theory can come into play.  I've only heard the double dose, as you well know, for a night or two before other circumstances caused me to make changes.  I hope to have it back in business this weekend.

rydenfan

« Reply #181 on: 9 Jul 2008, 06:22 pm »
My Plan is to put the Metal Base 5AR4 into the 36.5 as soon as it arrives. After that I will then A/B my Mullard fat base 5AR4 and Rob's GZ37. And, after that, I will experiment with the second set of DR's vs the 6CG7's  :dunno:

As if that isnt enough to drive me crazy, I have the Spectron amp arriving Friday and hopefully my Dali's will be sold soon so I can bring the Revel Studio2's in. Maybe one day I will be able to just listen and enjoy???  :duh:

JG2

« Reply #182 on: 10 Jul 2008, 01:29 am »
K2.NL,

I am on 'holiday' this week so I didn't get a chance to reply. I have not had the opportunity (read this as 'time and patience')to do an 'A' - 'B' comparison between the GZ34 metal base versions. I can tell you that to my ears, they ALL sound good! I think the first version after the metal base with the brown plastic base is pretty sweet as well. I know everyone chases Mullard's, but I am a real fan of the Philips production double 'D' getter GZ34's! Philips, Miniwatt, Valvo and others brands you are familiar with are quite the rectifier tube made in your homeland!

K2.NL

« Reply #183 on: 10 Jul 2008, 10:39 pm »
K2.NL,

I am on 'holiday' this week so I didn't get a chance to reply. I have not had the opportunity (read this as 'time and patience')to do an 'A' - 'B' comparison between the GZ34 metal base versions. I can tell you that to my ears, they ALL sound good! I think the first version after the metal base with the brown plastic base is pretty sweet as well. I know everyone chases Mullard's, but I am a real fan of the Philips production double 'D' getter GZ34's! Philips, Miniwatt, Valvo and others brands you are familiar with are quite the rectifier tube made in your homeland!

Hi JG2,

I fully agree about your statement regarding Philips versus Mullard. Last week a 1957 metal base GZ34 stamped with the Mullard logo sold for 510 dollar on ebay. A very high price! Because of the Mulard logo? Apart from the fact that this tube seemed to have had some clear use, all these metal base tube were made by Philips in Holland.

Hope you'll soon have a "opportunity" to do a A-B-comparison, but for now I hope you'll have a good holiday!

Kees

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #184 on: 10 Jul 2008, 11:15 pm »
K2.NL,

Hi JG2,

I fully agree about your statement regarding Philips versus Mullard. Last week a 1957 metal base GZ34 stamped with the Mullard logo sold for 510 dollar on ebay. A very high price! Because of the Mulard logo? Apart from the fact that this tube seemed to have had some clear use, all these metal base tube were made by Philips in Holland.

Hope you'll soon have a "opportunity" to do a A-B-comparison, but for now I hope you'll have a good holiday!

Kees

Guess my snag of this 1954 Phillips Miniwatt metal base GZ34 for $179.10 was a bargain by comparison.   :thumb:

I will be getting from the Post Office first thing tomorrow morning (I missed the Post Man today and I need to sign for it).

George

JG2

« Reply #185 on: 11 Jul 2008, 07:02 am »
Not A bad buy at all, George!

Very early model with the welded plates and it even has a decent Miniwatt logo that is pretty much intact. I don't care about that but some of the collectors sure do.

Let us know how you like it.

rydenfan

« Reply #186 on: 11 Jul 2008, 02:00 pm »
Those of you that have installed the HiFi tuning fuses, how long of a break-in was needed for them to sound their best?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #187 on: 11 Jul 2008, 02:48 pm »
Not A bad buy at all, George!

Very early model with the welded plates and it even has a decent Miniwatt logo that is pretty much intact. I don't care about that but some of the collectors sure do.

Let us know how you like it.

Well I picked up the tubes in and even though it has only has been in for an hour or so, it is clearly better in the frequency extremes and has a more detailed and open midrange than the Kuhl tube version of the Mullard 1958 Black Base GZ34/5AR4.

Definitely a good start and appears to be well worth the investment.

George

RUR

« Reply #188 on: 11 Jul 2008, 03:49 pm »
Well I picked up the tubes in and even though it has only has been in for an hour or so, it is clearly better in the frequency extremes and has a more detailed and open midrange than the Kuhl tube version of the Mullard 1958 Black Base GZ34/5AR4.

Definitely a good start and appears to be well worth the investment.
This is consistent with my experience, George.  When I put the NOS Philips into my LS36.5 I heard a more open soundstage and tighter, bigger bass.  I also heard a welcome reduction in very HF glare, which may be limited to my speakers i.e. ML Vantages.  Some very tough female choral passages on Stellamara's Seven Valleys cleaned up beautifully. :)

All in all, a big improvement and, for me, well worth the investment.

rydenfan

« Reply #189 on: 13 Jul 2008, 12:20 am »
Well, I got my NOS metal base today  :drool: It is in perfect condition!! I am very excited to try it out. You can see that even the label is in perfect condition.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #190 on: 13 Jul 2008, 12:35 am »
DK, very nice.  Looks like the only thing NOT in perfect condition is the cameraman.  :rotflmao:

rpf

« Reply #191 on: 13 Jul 2008, 12:44 am »
Beautiful tube. Very cool.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the various rectifier combinations, David. Don't keep us waiting too long.  :nono:  :lol:

rydenfan

« Reply #192 on: 13 Jul 2008, 12:45 am »
DK, very nice.  Looks like the only thing NOT in perfect condition is the cameraman.  :rotflmao:

Thanks buddy! For some reason I had a really hard time getting the tube in focus. I tried like 20 different times  :duh:

K2.NL

« Reply #193 on: 13 Jul 2008, 06:47 pm »
Your new metal base GZ34 looks great indeed, the label is perfect. Congratulations!!

As the picture seems to indicate that the plates aren't welded and the perforations probably will be visible when the tube is turned 90 degrees, I guess it is a 1957 tube. An early one though (57 followed by an A to a F at maximum) as the thin shiny metal strips on the upper side of the metal plates are still present. Around june 1957 these strips IME dissapear.

So make a fool out of me David and tell me the code is a 1955 :icon_lol:

Kees

rydenfan

« Reply #194 on: 13 Jul 2008, 07:14 pm »
Your new metal base GZ34 looks great indeed, the label is perfect. Congratulations!!

As the picture seems to indicate that the plates aren't welded and the perforations probably will be visible when the tube is turned 90 degrees, I guess it is a 1957 tube. An early one though (57 followed by an A to a F at maximum) as the thin shiny metal strips on the upper side of the metal plates are still present. Around june 1957 these strips IME dissapear.

So make a fool out of me David and tell me the code is a 1955 :icon_lol:

Kees

Yes, the label is perfect. The tube looks way nicer in person than my pictures indicate. It truly looks brand new. Kees, you are very close on your dates as it is right in between  :wink: It is a 1956

K2.NL

« Reply #195 on: 13 Jul 2008, 09:35 pm »
The plates David, are they welded or perforated?

rydenfan

« Reply #196 on: 13 Jul 2008, 09:50 pm »
The plates David, are they welded or perforated?

To be honest I did not check and now the piece is already installed into my 36.5. At some point in the near future I will be back inside the 36.5 to replace the fuse with a HiFi tuning fuse and I will check then.

rydenfan

« Reply #197 on: 13 Jul 2008, 09:51 pm »
Is anyone here putting any contact solution on the tubes/tube socket? If so, what are you using??

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #198 on: 13 Jul 2008, 09:55 pm »
Is anyone here putting any contact solution on the tubes/tube socket? If so, what are you using??

I have used Siliclear on my tubes in the past, but haven't yet gone this route with my TP.

I wanted to get a good handle on the Philips metal base GZ34 compared to my other tubes, but after spending the last 3-4 days listening, I don't really need to go back and do an extensive A/B.

We have a new champion! 

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #199 on: 13 Jul 2008, 11:01 pm »
Yes, it seems the metal base Holland-made GZ34/5AR4 is the winner in all categories of Modwright rectification.  We love it here for the TP; and it's use in the 36.5 and in the tube rec'd power supplies of the modded players is also the No.1 fave.