ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

rydenfan

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #160 on: 3 Jul 2008, 03:41 pm »
Ok, I just won an auction on eBay and will have a metal base next week to compare to the Kuhl tube Mullard 1958 Black Base GZ34/5AR4 from Tube World.

George

I am currently bidding on one as well (if someone here doesnt outbid me  :nono:). I have access to a NOS one but it is pretty pricey. Although the metal base may end up in my 36.5 if I get it? In which case I would use my Mullard fat base in the TP, or the nice GZ37 rpf sent me  :wink:

Right now I have pretty much settled on the RCA Cleartop 6CG7's as my staple signal tube. I also have the Mazda/Brimar version but I cant seem to find a tube combo where I prefer that tube to the RCA. I really like the detail and clarity that the 6ZG7 family seems to have.

funkmonkey

« Reply #161 on: 5 Jul 2008, 12:24 am »
 :dance: Transporter up and running!!!!!!!!!  :rock:

after a few  :banghead: I got it streaming my iTunes library!  This guy runs pretty warm, is that normal?  I know that tubes get hot, but the whole chassis is toasty warm.  Not fry an egg hot but definitely warmer than I anticipated...

Happy 4th of July!!!!!

modwright

« Reply #162 on: 5 Jul 2008, 03:37 am »
The tubes are exposed for obvious reasons, namely to reject heat.  Okay, so it also looks really cool too! aa

We machine the bottom of the enclosure to allow for added convective cooling and also oversize the holes that the tubes protrude through for the same purpose.  One of the reasons that the enclosure feels warm is because we use the external AL chassis as a heatsink for a couple of warm SS components.  It is normal for the chassis to feel warm to the touch for this reason.

Thanks and Enjoy!

Dan W.

funkmonkey

« Reply #163 on: 5 Jul 2008, 09:36 pm »
Thanks Dan, I appreciate that explanation.  And your right, it does look really cool!!! :thumb:

rydenfan

« Reply #164 on: 5 Jul 2008, 09:47 pm »
Guys, I finally got my hifi tuning fuses today. I just installed them so give me a few days to burn them in and I will let you know.

RUR

« Reply #166 on: 6 Jul 2008, 03:39 pm »
Although the metal base may end up in my 36.5 if I get it?
May end up in? :o

K2.NL

« Reply #167 on: 7 Jul 2008, 10:08 pm »
Case,

I have been waiting for someone to try this fantastic tube in a TP! I know Dan used one at the audio show in Germany and seemed to like it. I use one in my ModWright SWL 9.0 as well as in the PS for a ModWright Sony 9100. You have an early version with the welded plates. I have both versions and have not had the time to compared the welded plate to the folded plate version.

Here is a link to the Philips GZ34 versions:

http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo%20GZ34/GZ34.htm

Enjoy your TP!

Interesting JG2, you having both versions of the metal base GZ34's. Have you already been able to compare both types?

Let me first introduce myself a bit. I live in the country which once produced these particular tubes: Holland. Last week we swapped tubes in a friends Modwright PS for his Modwright preamp (the dual mono one).
Being quite astonished about the effect of the different rectifiers we used, I wanted to check some other persons experiences. While doing this I came across this forum.

We replaced the standard Sylvania's GZ34's supplied by Modwright by Sovtek GZ34's. Sound improved significantly. The Sovteks were then replaced by Mullard 5U4G (big bottle, brown base, late 50's I guess, not the Wycombe). Wow, much better sound now! More musical (instruments sounded much more like the real thing) and more transparant. Then, a few days later, the 5U4G's made place for two Philips Metal Base GZ34's (1957, perforated plates) and... even more wow! The metal base GZ34's sounded much more balanced IMO. Base is much, much tighter and the treble more extended. The 5U4G's mids are extremely smooth, more so than the mids of the metal base, very seductive. However the metal base doesn't sound harsh or grainy when compared to the 5U4G. On the contrary, and the decay of tone is also similar. All in all I feel the mids of the 5U4G are a bit over the top, maybe they are to velvety smooth. Last but not least, soundstage/focusing: I thought the width and depth of stage increased significantly with the GZ34. Further the focusing of the single instruments was more precise with the metal base.

As my preamps rectifier in the separate PS is a GZ34 too (preamp: Silvaweld SWC1000) I lately bought two metal base GZ34's (one for spare). A 1957 version with perforated plates and a 1955 version with the more sturdy/welded non-perforated plates. As my system is under construction I haven't been able yet to hear the difference these tubes make with the National GZ34 that Silvaweld once used. No doubt they will blow away the National. Curious however to the difference between the two metal bases. I read on a Asian website that the first version with welded plates is the best ever made, but maybe you have been able to compare both metal bases already?

Kees   

cAsE sEnSiTiVe

« Reply #168 on: 8 Jul 2008, 12:17 am »
As my preamps rectifier in the separate PS is a GZ34 too (preamp: Silvaweld SWC1000) I lately bought two metal base GZ34's (one for spare). A 1957 version with perforated plates and a 1955 version with the more sturdy/welded non-perforated plates. As my system is under construction I haven't been able yet to hear the difference these tubes make with the National GZ34 that Silvaweld once used. No doubt they will blow away the National. Curious however to the difference between the two metal bases. I read on a Asian website that the first version with welded plates is the best ever made, but maybe you have been able to compare both metal bases already?

Kees   

Kees, I own the 1955 welded version, and it is wonderful, so much so that my rectifier searching days are OVER. I haven't been able to compare it against the later, perforated versions.

Bob

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #169 on: 8 Jul 2008, 12:49 am »
Kees,
Welcome to the Audio Circle, and especially welcome to the Modwright Transporter Tube Rolling thread.    :thumb:   Somehow I got named President of this motley crew (just a joke really) so I thought I would extend a hearty welcome. 

My GZ34 metal base (In my TP right now; I'd need two of them to put in my dual mono 36.5 but would more likely buy two addtl cuz i like this one too much in my TP) is a welded plate 1952 version, I think (code 52 rsB).?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110256437822&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=001

rydenfan

« Reply #170 on: 8 Jul 2008, 01:38 am »
Kees welcome!! very interesting post. I placed my order today for a NOS Phillips Metal Base 5AR4 from the '50's  :thumb: I am very excited for it! I will be placing it in my 36.5 and not in my Transporter.

K2.NL

« Reply #171 on: 8 Jul 2008, 05:53 am »
 :) Thanks for the welcome.

That 1952 tube is very special. Very old! When I first watched this tube on ebay I thought it might be a prototype.
Measuring 75 where good starts at 55, it probably means it still measures 100 percent. These tubes are very strong. Most of them I've seen measure even stronger than 100 percent. They say they will last for 40.000 hours.

At the moment there are two Hong Kong tubes on ebay: one of them being from 1953. That one looks (though pictures are not optimal) and measures okay. The other one lost the guiding pin. The seller could have been more explicit about this IMO. There's also a Mullard stamped Philips. The auction of that tube will end today. It is 510 dollar right now. Extremely high price for Ebay. Also because the pictures show clearly that the tube has seen quite some good use.

Kees

rydenfan

« Reply #172 on: 9 Jul 2008, 12:26 am »
So, I finalized my NOS Metal Base 5AR4 today  :thumb: My wallet is not quite as happy as the rest of me...

RUR

« Reply #173 on: 9 Jul 2008, 02:14 am »
So, I finalized my NOS Metal Base 5AR4 today  :thumb: My wallet is not quite as happy as the rest of me...
and worth every penny, as you'll soon discover. :wink:

rydenfan

« Reply #174 on: 9 Jul 2008, 01:55 pm »

Ken, nice to see you over here!  :D I figured it was your turn to get me to spend some money this time  :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #175 on: 9 Jul 2008, 01:57 pm »

I am still waiting for mine to arrive from Europe.  :(

Hopefully in the next few days.

George

RUR

« Reply #176 on: 9 Jul 2008, 04:42 pm »

Ken, nice to see you over here!  :D I figured it was your turn to get me to spend some money this time  :wink:

Heh, revenge, in a very small way, though I've not for a moment regretted the LS36.5 purchase. :D

rydenfan

« Reply #177 on: 9 Jul 2008, 05:27 pm »
Heh, revenge, in a very small way, though I've not for a moment regretted the LS36.5 purchase. :D

that is great news!! I am glad you are loving it. This area has been so dominated with Transporter discussions lately that it is great to recognize how amaing the LS 36.5 is  :wine:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #178 on: 9 Jul 2008, 05:39 pm »

This area has been so dominated with Transporter discussions lately that it is great to recognize how amaing the LS 36.5 is  :wine:

Probably cuz it's the Transporter Tube rolling thread... :lol: :lol:
.........sorry, couldn't resist...especially after the "bastard" email    (inside joke)

rydenfan

« Reply #179 on: 9 Jul 2008, 05:49 pm »
Probably cuz it's the Transporter Tube rolling thread... :lol: :lol:
.........sorry, couldn't resist...especially after the "bastard" email    (inside joke)

Fair enough  :lol:

Well then, I ordered a second set of DR's today so that I will be able to see what a double dose of them is like. I figure even if I dont love them in both the TP and the 36.5 at the same time, I will have a backup set for my 36.5.