Lii Audio F18

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Lii Audio F18
« on: 1 Jan 2021, 05:29 pm »
Hi all fullrange lovers,
I have good news for us today.

To this date I never knew there was a vintage 18 inches FR driver and know we have two both from the friendly guys at Lii Áudio.
He is the F18 old model data:

HIFI 1pcs F-18 new full range speaker 18 inch full range unit
Basic parameters:
Standard impedance: 8 ohms
Power: 60-100 watts
Frequency response range: 40-14khz
Fo= 40.021Hz
Revc= 8.282 ohms
Levc= 48.455 uH
Magnetic flux: 16500 gauss
Qms= 9.602
Qes=  0.851
QTS:  0.79
Outer diameter: 460 mm
Hole diameter: 425 mm
Magnet level: Y35 (ferrite)
Sensitivity: 98dB (2.83V/1m)
Net weight: 7.5KG/piece
Basin material: paper cone mixed pulp
Basin frame material: cast aluminum
Hanging: paper edge, DuPont cloth bomb
Phase cone: solid wood

This F18 is available on Aliexpress, it is the ''old'' version,
the new version is posted on the Lii Audio site.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001403012788.html
He is his freq chart:
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2021, 08:22 am by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Lii Audio F18
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2021, 05:30 pm »
He is the specs from Lii Audio site:

We almost finished F-18 at the beginning of 2020, however, we later found that there could still be more improvements and tried them – which at last made us almost re-started everything from beginning. But we can now proudly say that this F-18 we finally decide to list is much better than what we were satisfied with and were about to list almost one year ago.

There is no need to tell much about advantages of a big diameter full range speaker. When this one is played, you will feel being submerged in music.

Technical Data:
Impedance: 8 ohm
Revc=  7.200 ohms
Power: 40 – 80 W
Frequency response: Fu – 15k Hz
Fs: 38.7 Hz
Fo=  38.678 Hz
Sd: 119.46 cm²
Mmd= 45.000g  propably cone
Mmd= 28.108g  probably whizzer
Mms= 51.848g  propably cone
Qms: 18.656
Qes: 0.985
Qts: 0.935
BL= 9.599 Tm
Sensitivity: 97.8 dB (2.83V/1m)
No= 3.760 %
Vas: 661.77 litres
Cms= 326.573u M/N
Krm= 796.643m Ohm
Erm= 0.211
Kxm= 200.736mH
Exm= 0,251
Data measured 30Nov2020
Weight (a pair): 18 KG

Here below is the current F18 version specs and freq chart:
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2021, 12:16 am by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2021, 06:07 pm »
Here is a comparative collage for your enjoyment:
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2021, 10:45 pm by FullRangeMan »

Slam

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2021, 02:40 am »
Goodness. I am so tempted to get a pair of these.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2021, 02:55 am »
Hard tô decide new or old version, anyway both are a bargain, they are very special drivers, just see the Voxativ germany prices.

Slam

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2021, 12:03 pm »
New version looks better at the frequency extremes but more ragged.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2021, 10:34 pm »
Correct, seems both models have a hot treble what makes a sweet small tube amp recommended.

I have add more info and a new image now in the posts above as I was busy in the last few days, please check it again.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2021, 03:37 am »
The Lii F18 will be tested by Kevin Davis at Glow in the Dark, cant wait  :popcorn:
For now keep with the Lii F15 review:
http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/lii-audio-f15.html
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2021, 08:27 am by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2021, 08:31 am »
Wow it was fast, we just have now the Lii F18 test at Glow in the Dark.com and Iam surprised the F18 are ever better than I would expect, Mr.Kevin Davis mentioned all the virtues I like in a FR driver.
http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/lii-audio-f18.html 

Docere

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2021, 08:55 am »
I find the lack of comparison with the F15 interesting.

I like the driver's high Qms - suggests low mechanical losses. I know high Qts is important for OB, though I have doubts about such speakers being driven by the amplifiers I prefer (high output impedance). Some people do love that and I won't make any definitive statements not having experienced it.

If I had a suitable room I would probably try the 15"ers just out of curiosity.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2021, 12:14 am »
I find the lack of comparison with the F15 interesting.

I like the driver's high Qms - suggests low mechanical losses. I know high Qts is important for OB, though I have doubts about such speakers being driven by the amplifiers I prefer (high output impedance). Some people do love that and I won't make any definitive statements not having experienced it.

If I had a suitable room I would probably try the 15"ers just out of curiosity.
Hi,
He makes the F15 and Visaton B200 comparison from paragraph 6 and after with headphones.

I sure any amp can drive these F18 as Mr.Davis inform he used a small tube amp with success, the F15/F18 are around 98dB sensitivity and have light cones aside  FR drivers are easy to drive speakers as they dont use xovers and there is no inductance and reactance made by the xover interaction with the multiple drivers under the music signal.
Do you mind inform what is your amp ?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

Docere

« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2021, 12:53 am »
I saw the comparo with B200.

I was thinking about the high Qts, suggesting low control from the electrical suspension/system, and coupled to an amplifier providing a low damping factor. It might work really well - it just goes a bit against my current understanding and I would need hear it to decide if it was for me. No doubt a low powered amplifier will drive them loud enough levels.

Ha! yeah, OB, that's the little beastie. Currently I'm designing my "lightweight" amp that will be almost twice heavy and only 50% more powerful. I should have learned!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 18 Mar 2021, 01:12 am »
I saw the comparo with B200.

I was thinking about the high Qts, suggesting low control from the electrical suspension/system, and coupled to an amplifier providing a low damping factor. It might work really well - it just goes a bit against my current understanding and I would need hear it to decide if it was for me. No doubt a low powered amplifier will drive them loud enough levels.

Ha! yeah, OB, that's the little beastie. Currently I'm designing my "lightweight" amp that will be almost twice heavy and only 50% more powerful. I should have learned!
Your amp are very interesting congratulations, seems perfect to these FRs.
I dont see high QTS creating low cone control STM its a amp fuction if have low damping factor as in tube amps.

This F18 certainly would delivery a interesting performance with a DAC STM amp.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #14 on: 18 Mar 2021, 03:28 am »
FRM, why are you bringing up STM?  :scratch:  Docere has a se tube amp.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 18 Mar 2021, 04:02 am »
His 2A3 amp certainly is a great amp.
Having read briefly Mr.Davis review I could not let notice he mention the F15 had a better detailed image and the F18 has a bigger image but with less focus, then immediately came to mind the DAC DAC 2 HS ultra precise with the 130dB S/R could match well this F18 attribute along with an Maraschino STM, I believe the 36V already enough.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2021, 04:19 am »
Okay, thanks for explaining.

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #17 on: 10 Oct 2022, 04:19 pm »
Hi all! While the F18 is indeed interesting, as someone pointed out, the published response curve is really more ragged and as yet someone else pointed out, the imaging has somehow been compromised. Having the (old) F15s and finding them pretty spectacular sounding in my DIY baffles/stands, I am far more interested in the potential merit of buying & swapping the new F15s into those existing baffles. Perhaps selling the old F15s if the improvement is (to my ear/mind) much more to my taste. Has anyone here actually done the swap process and have an informed opinion?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #18 on: 10 Oct 2022, 08:29 pm »
Hi all! While the F18 is indeed interesting, as someone pointed out, the published response curve is really more ragged and as yet someone else pointed out, the imaging has somehow been compromised. Having the (old) F15s and finding them pretty spectacular sounding in my DIY baffles/stands, I am far more interested in the potential merit of buying & swapping the new F15s into those existing baffles. Perhaps selling the old F15s if the improvement is (to my ear/mind) much more to my taste. Has anyone here actually done the swap process and have an informed opinion?

Do you mean the Fast-15s?
https://www.lii-audio.com/product/one-pair-15-inch-full-range-speakers-optimized-detail-frequency-response-and-soundstage-fast-15/

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #19 on: 10 Oct 2022, 08:58 pm »
Yes, the new F15 as compared to the previous (older) F15.