Shunyata Venom Defender

GerryD

Shunyata Venom Defender
« on: 7 Apr 2014, 01:48 pm »
Has anyone tried this as a stand alone conditioner and not in conjunction with the PS8?  I'd be interested in any impressions.

RDavidson

Re: Shunyata Venom Defender
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2014, 03:08 pm »
I have one plugged straight into an outlet. It is the same outlet my Pass XA30.5 is plugged into. I think most here would agree that plugging amps directly into the wall outlet is best and most amp manufacturers recommend plugging their amps directly into the wall outlet. I honestly can't say I can hear an audible difference with the Defender, given the normal factors (my room, system, playback levels, ears). YMMV. BUT, I got it for a good price and what's nice is that it gives me a little peace of mind that in a storm it SHOULD protect my precious amp.

TwymanJ

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2014, 02:51 am »
Like RDavidson, I have one plugged into an outlet into which I have also directly plugged in my amp ( a MF Trivista with upgraded umbilicals).  Some folks don't believe that power conditioners make an audible difference, and I have no desire to argue with them.  I do and think the Defender works quite well in this configuration.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2014, 10:44 pm »
Looks like it's just a PFC network, like from PI, but in a small package with surge protector in it.

They never give any kind of an idea about how much attenuation it provides. But I can say that's not easy to do given the way noise works in AC. Still, are we talking about 5 or 50db potential?

jhm731

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2014, 04:17 am »
I also tried a VD in same outlet that my amp is plugged into,
I heard negative results when I first plugged it in. After a week of break-in,
I couldn't hear any positive results.

Returned it for a refund.

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2014, 12:04 am »
I also tried a VD in same outlet that my amp is plugged into,
I heard negative results when I first plugged it in. After a week of break-in,
I couldn't hear any positive results.

Returned it for a refund.

When you say "negative" can you elaborate? I think many of us would like to understand what you heard. Let us know what gear you're running too. That'd be very helpful. :thumb:

sts9fan

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2014, 12:20 am »
I have one plugged straight into an outlet. It is the same outlet my Pass XA30.5 is plugged into. I think most here would agree that plugging amps directly into the wall outlet is best and most amp manufacturers recommend plugging their amps directly into the wall outlet. I honestly can't say I can hear an audible difference with the Defender, given the normal factors (my room, system, playback levels, ears). YMMV. BUT, I got it for a good price and what's nice is that it gives me a little peace of mind that in a storm it SHOULD protect my precious amp.

By doing this you are adding parallel filtering so not really "plugging directly into the wall". It's really no different then plugging an amp into a conditioner that uses similar filters.

jhm731

« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2014, 01:50 am »
When you say "negative" can you elaborate? I think many of us would like to understand what you heard. Let us know what gear you're running too. That'd be very helpful. :thumb:

When it was first plugged into the same outlet as my amp, a ARC REF 75, the soundstage collapsed in all directions and air and inner details went MIA.

As I posted, after a week of break-in(in a different outlet, I couldn't hear any positive results.

I was later told by told by SR, that if there is no noise on the powerline, then there will be no sonic improvement when using the Defender.

If you have noisy powerlines, maybe it will work for you.

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2014, 02:22 am »
That's kind of a joke, because there's basically always noise. One guy at 6moons found 4% noise on his dedicated line, was still determinetal.

RDavidson

« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2014, 02:34 am »
By doing this you are adding parallel filtering so not really "plugging directly into the wall". It's really no different then plugging an amp into a conditioner that uses similar filters.

I don't claim to be a genius about these things, but as the VD runs parallel, then it's not exactly inline right? The opposite is true of using a conditioner and plugging an amp into it. The conditioner is feeding the amp and the wall outlet is feeding the conditioner. Conditioners often have voltage regulation. The VD doesn't. So actually, there's perhaps some important differences. If what I'm talking about isn't relevant to what you're saying, please educate me.

rbbert

« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2014, 10:21 pm »
It's definitely "in-line", that's the whole point.  The two outlets of a typical wall box are in parallel on the AC circuit, i.e. everything that goes through one also goes through the other.

RDavidson

« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2014, 02:15 am »
Thanks for the info. So I guess the only real benefit, compared to using a good "box" conditioner is that you don't have to deal with extra cords, circuitry, etc. etc. That the VD doesn't regulate voltage, should be a plus for amp usage. But, of course, YMVV.

Folsom

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2014, 05:18 pm »
There's only a few "in-line" or series conditioners. Regenerators would be one, but it's a regenerator. There's some that work in parallel and rebuild part of the sine wave.

In general most things act in a parallel way, because they're attenuating noise from the line that is going to your equipment. Otherwise they have to find a way to mechanically get rid of it in series. That's not easy. It's easier to attenuate or mechanically dissipate in parallel. In fact you can do both. It has a serious advantage that it doesn't have to create a bottle neck, high resistance, etc, in series with your equipment.

Thunder240

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jun 2018, 08:45 pm »
I recognize that this thread is 4 years old, but I’m tessurecting it because my question is closely related.

My current line conditioner (Panamax M4300-PM) is constricting current to my amp. Otherwise, though, I believe it is reducing background AC noise that would otherwise  be affecting my digital components (based on a comparison vs basic surge protector power strip I did a long time ago). My present solution is to unplug the amp from the Panamax and run from the wall. However, I am concerned about protecting it from power fluctuations that affect my house.

I’ve had some good recommendations in the $1000 range. I also know that I could add whole home surge protection which would involve hiring an electrician (note: I rent). What I’m trying to research is whether there is an less expensive solution that would offer me some power conditioning comparable to what I’m getting from the Panamax but that would not construct current to my amp.

My idea: but a Wiremold L10320 or Pangea Octet ($90 and $200 respectively) and plug in a Shunyata Defender. My hypothesis is that those two chassis are comparable to a PS8 in functionality and internal wiring layout, albeit possibly constructed with parts of slightly lesser quality.

Several responders to this thread wrote that they tried using the Defender in tbe same wall receptical as their power amp. What about in a chassis other than the PS8, eg Pangea or Wiremold? If so, what was your experience?

minnesotafats

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jan 2020, 05:12 pm »
I am a newbie to Audiocircle.   I am happy with the Venom Defender.   IMO it is a good value and easy way to start cleaning up the power heading to your gear. 

minnesotafats

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jan 2020, 05:31 pm »
I should have said in my previous post that I have the Venom Defender in the same outlet that feeds my PS Audio P15 Powerplant via a Shunyata Sigma NR cable.  I live in a condo complex with over 200 units and I do not have a dedicated line.   The Defender seemed like a relatively inexpensive tweek to help clean up the power that ultimately was going into the P15 Power Regenerator.  Some may seem like that is overkill.   I do not.  Happy with results.