Magnepan 1.5qt upgrades

Uniq1

Magnepan 1.5qt upgrades
« on: 20 Apr 2021, 01:25 am »
Hello! I have the Magnepan 1.5qt an like them. I bought them 3 yrs ago and would like to find if thee are upgrades for them.

BrassEar

Re: Magnepan 1.5qt upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2022, 09:58 pm »
I recently did minor panel repairs. I also replaced the crossover with a brand new series crossover using Peter Gunn's schematic. This makes the 1.5 sound much better IMO than a pair of 1.6QRs I had a few years ago. You can also just replace the caps and coil as these parts are very outdated and caps might fail at some point.

SET Man

« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2022, 01:29 am »
Hey!

I'm amazed that your 1.5QR still playing! My pair are pretty dead because of the bad glue and the wire is pretty detached from the panel.
   I bought my pair used back in 1996 and about 3-4 years in I noticed a buzzing sound. It was one point so I use sticky glue on that. By 2001 I discovered single driver speaker and built a pair in 2002 as an experiment. Well, the 1.5QR never went back in my system. I was going to sell them but never did, I guess because of the wire detaching problem of which gotten worst. So, still have them... strangely enough they make a pretty acoustic panel in the corner of my room, I do like the sound of my system now with them there.
   I upgraded the xover with MIT RTX caps and custom made Alpha Core Goertz flat wire inductor. All are exact value as the original. The sound was great. Well, since my 1.5QR are pretty dead, if anyone interested in buying those xover parts let me know.
   Anyway, I must say Manepan will always have a soft spot in my heart though even though I went back to box speaker, single driver in my case.

Buddy

BrassEar

« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2022, 08:30 pm »
Interesting comments!

I went from Maggies (owned almost every model) to open baffle, full range single drivers and now back to Maggies. Although they need a sub, I just can't live without that HUGE soundstage and wonderful depth and warmth. If I couldn't have Maggies, I would go back to full range open baffles.

FYI, older Maggies are pretty easy to repair yourself. I used Peter Gunn's instructions and it worked perfectly. I also cannot overemphasize switching to the serial crossover. That crossover makes my 1.5QRs sound more like a pair of SMGas I had back in the 1990's.