My Symmetrica review

PDR

• May the best man win
My Symmetrica review
« on: 9 Aug 2008, 07:49 pm »
Finally finished my Symmetricas last Saturday, just a little trim work to go. I decided they were done enough to take a listen so I hauled the large arrays down to my HT room. Spent some time hooking them up positioning them (mine weigh in at about 135 pounds) and placing my Sinclair Audio floor standers off to the side. I’m driving the Syms. With my Sunfire TGA 5400 matched with a Sunfire TGA-5 pre/pro.

There was some hesitation on my part to power up. I have never heard a Selah design before I purchased the kit. After reading a lot of good things on the net I made my mind up, I hoped I had made the right decision. I prepared for the worst by telling myself that if they didn’t perform well it would be because of driver burn in time, or my room wasn’t right for arrays, or I had a screwed up the wiring. My father in law, about 8 yrs my senior, (I’m 47) was with me to hear the first notes. He is a long time audiophile with great equipment and a very good ear, his opinion would mean a lot to me. I was hoping I wouldn’t look like a fool once we started listening…..You take a chance on internet purchases…right?

I popped a CD that we have both been listening to for many yrs., we were both very familiar with this music and I thought it would be a good starting point. Sat on the couch beside my father in-law, pressed play and slowly turned up the volume. After a minute or two we both looked at each other and said wow! I have never owned an array before but I have listened to one many times at one of our high end audio outlets. It was the reason I wanted arrays in the first place. It’s a well known name and retails for about  $8,000.00 for the two front towers, the Syms. beat this pair hands down!

Imaging is what hits you first. The 3-D effect is amazing. At one point in listening to a live track my father in-law said he could hear the crowd on either side of him. Sounds seem to float in the air, but the sound stage is realistic, when you close your eyes  you can envision the  band  in front, and the musicians are placed  where you expect them to be.

The Fountek ribbons sound incredibly clean and clear. I was a little hesitant in using ribbons because the ones I have heard have always sounded a little sharp. These are much better than I could of ever imagined, the highs are very pleasing  and I don’t get fatigued from long listening sessions.

The mids are a joy. Midrange was always lacking in my Sinclairs, these leave no holes. Voices sound natural, piano sounds like piano, acoustic guitar is really something. Thirty-two drivers all working at once makes quite an impression!

The first sub I have had  going for a while now. My system will have two. Each incorporates dual 12” drivers. I will not mention the type of  drivers or type of amps, as this is Ricks design. The second is in my garage awaiting paint as I write. Rick did a really great job on the subs, they integrate with the arrays  seamlessly. Very nice with music. Very nice in my theatre. I can hardly wait to get the other up and running.

Before buying these kits, my wife and I auditioned a lot of floor standers in the  $5,000-$6,000 range. We weren’t  wowed by any of them. I almost bought a set of Maggies, but I couldn’t see them in my room. The price difference from what I had to what I could get just didn’t warrant it. I am very happy I took a chance on Rick. For the money I spent on these I couldn’t come close to anything on the retail market. I would recommend these speaks to anyone, I couldn’t get sound this great for three times the money!

Thanks again Rick, you have been great, answering all my stupid questions, and having the patience to deal with a new DIY’er. I can hardly wait for my two surround arrays to show up so I can start the second build. I have already received my Sardonyx kit, just waiting to fire up the old table saw.

Perry

Kris

Re: My Symmetrica review
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2008, 10:12 pm »
That's a great review thanks. Is that the listening setup as in the picture? The speakers look too close together.

PDR

• May the best man win
Re: My Symmetrica review
« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2008, 11:01 pm »
Kris,

These pics were taken upstairs before set up. Much better light. They are about 9ft apart and listening distance about 10ft.

Perry