S&B 600 Ohm RIAA module

dhsettim

S&B 600 Ohm RIAA module
« on: 10 Jan 2004, 07:59 pm »
Hello, can the 600 Ohm LCR module be used in a balanced/differential phono stage?thanks,tim

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
S&B 600 Ohm RIAA module
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2004, 03:14 am »
Hello!

Sorry for the delay replying! Back at work here yesterday after CES  but spent most of the time catching up on e-mails, etc. I hope to post my impressions tomorrow.

You'd need 2 sets to do a true differential stage - which does get rather expensive.  The 600 ohms match really close from unit to unit so it should work very well used that way. If feeding with a tx103 we can do a special tx103 with a center tapped secondary to do the phase splitting of the cart signal as well. Might be fun and likely the way I'll build one when I get to it - but I am crazy and tend to overbuild most stuff I make......

If you have any other questions or ideas please post them or send an e-mail through.

Many Thansk!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

dhsettim

but I thought........
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2004, 07:10 am »
Hi John, hope ya had a great time. I thought that the phono cartridge output could be taken directly as a balanced signal so that a splitter trannie was not needed. Having 2 x 600ohm LCR units per channel is a bit extravagent... but if I win the lottery....
Any news on the TVCs?
best regards, tim

John Chapman

• Facilitator
S&B 600 Ohm RIAA module
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2004, 04:06 pm »
Hello!

Vegas was very interesting and fun! More on that later today.

The Cart Signal is differential and could be taken direct but most RIAA based (or most tube based) phono stages would not have the gain to run an MC cart direct so if the tx103 is there anyway (to add to overall stage gain) then I figured you may as well add the center tap to it.  I have one that way now on my haggerman (which is ballanced) and it works out well.

I will know more within a day but I think the next batch of tx102's should be comming in the next week. Sorry for the delays......

Thansk!

John

dhsettim

But what if....
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2004, 08:34 am »
Thanks John, but what if I want to try a Decca ?(high output)---and I do--then I  hope my RCA phono stage would have enough gain without needing a step-up tranny, except perhaps to break ground loops. So do S&B produce an balanced(differential?) to SE input tranny that is 1:1 or similar to suit?
I'm getting excited--see new topic
thanks again
tim

John Chapman

• Facilitator
S&B 600 Ohm RIAA module
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2004, 03:34 pm »
Hello!

Glad you are getting excited! If your cartridge has a high enough signal then you'd not need a step-up. S&B likely has a few options for a trannie like you describe or you could go direct to the circuits.  I will find out from S&B what the best trannie for that application would be.

Thankjs!

John