Magnepan LRS on COVER Stereophile August issue, incl review

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
I guess I get my issue early..
Got the August issue of Stereophile today, and the Magnepan LRS is on the cover, with a review AND measurments.
Title: boxless & beautiful MAGNEPAN'S $650/pr LRS UNVEILED

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Magnepan LRS on COVER Stereophile August issue, incl review
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2019, 11:21 pm »
Stereophile? 
Huh, that's totally unexpected but is good news.

Saturn94

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2019, 11:37 pm »
I expect it’s not available yet online, at least to non subscribers?  Can you give us the highlights? 

Elizabeth

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2019, 12:01 am »
starts on page 66 Herb Reichert is the reviewer. page 69 full page, page 71 (half page with other half measurements),72 (another half page other half measurements), 73 full page
"the LRS employed it's extraordinary  transparancy .. wove complex webs of high resolution audiophile sound
"The LRS let more of a recordings true sound come through"

compared to Magnepan .7
compared to Klipsch RP-600M
Compared to vintage Quad ESL
"The Quad and the Maggie are both genuine andiophile loudspeakers... Both deliver a sense of infinite detail and a mesmerizing transparency unrivaled by most speakers"
"The .7 (playing piano SIC) put a lot more energy..they played a lot bigger than the LRS"

I removed a QUOTE from what I wrote... since it seems to get abused later on down below, since it was made into some sort of insult, even though the person doing the insulting seems to have not read the text, though they managed to view a graph only visible if the text was too. Just whinin'. This way to the EGRESS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2019, 02:23 pm by Elizabeth »

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2019, 03:02 am »
starts on page 66 Herb Reichert is the reviewer. page 69 full page, page 71 (half page with other half measurements),72 (another half page other half measurements), 73 full page
"the LRS employed it's extraordinary  transparancy .. wove complex webs of high resolution audiophile sound
"The LRS let more of a recordings true sound come through"

compared to Magnepan .7
compared to Klipsch RP-600M
Compared to vintage Quad ESL
"The Quad and the Maggie are both genuine andiophile loudspeakers... Both deliver a sense of infinite detail and a mesmerizing transparency unrivaled by most speakers"
"The .7 (playing piano SIC) put a lot more energy..they played a lot bigger than the LRS"

"(LRS SIC) Makes everything else sound like it is coming out of a cereal box."  :thumb:
I suppose I should mention the reviewer did not originate that little cereal box quote. but he did use it in the review

Thanks.

Thats an interesting comment about the .7 vs LRS.  I heard the .7 recently at a fellow ACer’s house and thought piano sounded superb on it.  I wondered how the LRS compared.

The main thing stopping me from getting Maggies is the fact I cannot try them at home without financial risk.  That comment in that review makes me believe even more the LRS, which is the only Maggie with a return window, wouldn’t really tell me if a larger Maggie would work well in my room/system.  Am I wrong?

Elizabeth

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2019, 11:08 am »
Worry about stuff working well is a valid problem. However sooner or later you just have to jump off the cliff. If you do not. You just are going nowhere.Risk and reward go hand in hand. You may not always get a reward with a risk taken. But without taking the risk, you will never see any rewards.

geowak

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2019, 11:47 am »
I like Magnepan and have heard several of their speakers, in fact I might upgrade to the 1.7i or even 3.7i but I cannot take Stereophile mag too seriously, I put them on par with Marvel comic mags. Entertaining but....

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2019, 12:34 pm »
Hi,
    If Herb used the cereal box comment and didn't quote someone else all his all his other reviews would be deemed worthless unless the tweeters had a Cap't Crunch sound and the woofers had an All-Bran way of pushing the bass out.
   One look at the frequency graph on page 69 made me look elsewhere even though I love the price, love where it's made, and haven't even listened.
   If you have a cat like I do you will need to make grill protectors for the speaker grills......Mark Korda